From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>
To: Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: bash: igncr shell option breaks my PS1 prompt
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 07:49:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Greetings, Eric Blake!

> But it seems like \n handling in PS1 is independent of any change in
> handing in the 'read' builtin.  As evidence, I ran the following test
> using the older bash-4.3.42-4 build:

> $ bash-4.3.42-4
> $ set -o igncr
> $ PS1='$(date)\n# '
> bash: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token ')'
> bash: command substitution: line 1: `date)'

That's interesting.

I've just tried it on Linux.

$ PS1='$(date)\n\$ '
Tue Aug 30 06:10:48 MSK 2016
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.3.11(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

(No idea why they ship this ancient version...)
And on Cygwin

$ PS1='$(date)\n\$ '
Tue Aug 30 06:12:38 MSK 2016
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.3.46(6)-release (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)
$ set -o igncr
-bash: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
-bash: command substitution: line 1: `date)'

> $ exit

> So you have uncovered a latent problem, unrelated to the recent igncr
> fixes, but which is indeed tied to the overall igncr patches, and which
> you had no reason to trip over until the igncr change to 'read' changed
> your desire to use igncr.

Seems like it is related, at least in some way.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...