* compiled files under GPL?
@ 2003-09-26 23:29 caj
From: caj @ 2003-09-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

Sorry, I just wanted a clarifcation of something I thought I read on
cygwin-apps...

Is it true that any application I compile under cygwin's gcc/g++ is
automatically under the GPL? Is so I've been doing some violating...
sorry.

Is this still true under -mno-cygwin?

* Re: compiled files under GPL?
@ 2003-09-29 21:38       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:03:06PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Matthew O. Persico wrote:

>> >?There are some exceptions, IIRC. ?For more information, see
>> >?<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_8.html#SEC136>?or consult a lawyer.
>> >?Igor
>>
>> I'm treading on very thin ice here with respect to being OT but I beg
>> your indulgence. From the link above:
>>
>> "To cover the GNU GPL requirements, the basic rule is if you give out
>> any binaries, you must also make the source available. "
>>
>> Which means if I use GNU GPL software to make a commercial product
>> (selling and distribution implied), the product must be GPL, source
>> exposed, etc.
>>
>> BUT, if I use GPL in a bank to create software used by bank customers
>> or in back overnight process, since I'm NOT selling the software, I
>> don't have to expose squat. Yes? If so, then the GPL-is-viral argument
>> goes by the wayside for all non-software development companies.
>>
>> Is that a reasonable interpretation?
>>
>IANAL
>YANALATEYHSMBSI
>
>In-house use is normally not in violation of the GPL.
>
>In your example, as long as your program is never sold or distributed in
>binary form (ie. you did not sell or give it to the bank in binary
>form because the bank owned your labor that created it), and the bank
>never sells or distributes the binaries outside itself, I think you are
>ok.
>
>Since these types of distinctions look legally cloudy to me, I would
>hesitate strongly to agree with your "goes by the wayside for all
>non-software development companies" statement.
>
>That said, you should consult a lawyer.  No one on this list is
>a qualified GPL authority.  Only the courts can make a determination.
>
>CGF, the closest person here to an authority, hates GPL conversations.
>Don't expect him to speak up unless you are clearly in violation, or this
>conversation has already (as it probably has) gone on too long.

I've asked someone more knowledgeable than I to offer an opinion on this
issue but, really, as Brian says, the bottom line is to consult a
lawyer.  If this is a potential real world application, and you really
are writing banking software, then you certainly don't want to just go by
the opinions of a bunch of mailing list geeks.

cgf

* Re: compiled files under GPL?
@ 2003-09-29 21:14     ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-09-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: compiled files under GPL?
@ 2003-09-27  3:58   ` Matthew O. Persico
From: Matthew O. Persico @ 2003-09-27  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Brian Ford; +Cc: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII", Size: 1525 bytes --]

@ 2003-09-27  0:30 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-27  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Ford; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

> >Is it true that any application I compile under cygwin's gcc/g++ is
> >automatically under the GPL? Is so I've been doing some violating...
> >sorry.
>
> This will link your binary to the cygwin DLL by default.  Unless you have
> purchased a buy out contract from Red Hat, yes.

There are some exceptions, IIRC.  For more information, see
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_8.html#SEC136> or consult a lawyer.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: compiled files under GPL?
@ 2003-09-27  0:22 Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-09-27  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Is it true that any application I compile under cygwin's gcc/g++ is
>automatically under the GPL? Is so I've been doing some violating...
>sorry.

This will link your binary to the cygwin DLL by default.  Unless you have
purchased a buy out contract from Red Hat, yes.

>Is this still true under -mno-cygwin?

No.