* Thought/Suggestion/Is it Possible for the new Cygwin 1.7 /etc/fstab
@ 2008-06-03 17:12 Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2008-06-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With my recent attempt and ultimate success at compiling a debug
version of Cygwin - I realize I must have stumbled on the new 1.7
version and subsequently tripped over the new /etc/fstab.  Now that I
have all of this working I wonder if there is a way on the new fstab to
dictate that a drive like a cdrom (my D Drive on my laptop) is
unmountable so that when it auto mounts one that is in the drive I can
do the correct process and unmount the drive and then mount again when
a new cd is placed in the drive.

Just a thought.  Thanks for all you do - this is great.

bk

* Re: Thought/Suggestion/Is it Possible for the new Cygwin 1.7  /etc/fstab
@ 2008-06-10 10:32 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-06-10 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  3 13:11, Brian Keener wrote:
> With my recent attempt and ultimate success at compiling a debug
> version of Cygwin - I realize I must have stumbled on the new 1.7
> version and subsequently tripped over the new /etc/fstab.  Now that I
> have all of this working I wonder if there is a way on the new fstab to
> dictate that a drive like a cdrom (my D Drive on my laptop) is
> unmountable so that when it auto mounts one that is in the drive I can
> do the correct process and unmount the drive and then mount again when
> a new cd is placed in the drive.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish.  It sounds
like you already get what you want without having to use umount/mount.
Either a CD is in the drive or not.  If a CD is in the drive, you get to
it through /cygdrive/d, if there's no CD, there's no logical drive and
thus no /cygdrive/d.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Thought/Suggestion/Is it Possible for the new Cygwin 1.7  /etc/fstab
@ 2008-06-10 17:04   ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2008-06-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  3 13:11, Brian Keener wrote:
> > With my recent attempt and ultimate success at compiling a debug
> > version of Cygwin - I realize I must have stumbled on the new 1.7
> > version and subsequently tripped over the new /etc/fstab.  Now that I
> > have all of this working I wonder if there is a way on the new fstab to
> > dictate that a drive like a cdrom (my D Drive on my laptop) is
> > unmountable so that when it auto mounts one that is in the drive I can
> > do the correct process and unmount the drive and then mount again when
> > a new cd is placed in the drive.
>
> I don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish.  It sounds
> like you already get what you want without having to use umount/mount.
> Either a CD is in the drive or not.  If a CD is in the drive, you get to
> it through /cygdrive/d, if there's no CD, there's no logical drive and
> thus no /cygdrive/d.

Well - what I'm thinking is what I seem to recall that Unix/Linux does in
that I can set up fstab to know of a mount point but not mount it
automatically until I tell it too and then I can mount and unmount at will
for changing the cd.

In afterthought I am probably overthinking this but my initial thought
followed this scenario:

1) I have a cd in the drive and I start Cygwin and Cygwin autostarts the cd
or optionally I could have an entry in fstab that would tell it *not* to
automount just the cd.
2) I want to change that cd to another cd so as I would in Unix to keep all
the caching and such happy I unmount and then mount the new cd.
3) Then I can access it.

In Unix/Linux I seem to recall the system gets upset if you remove a cd
without unmount first (since it is mounted to a mountpoint which is now not
the same thing) and then mount the new cd.

But as I say I am probably overthinking this for the Cygwin on Windows
environment - does it really care if I change cd's without a unmount and
then mount?

@ 2008-06-10 17:49     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Keener wrote on 10 June 2008 17:54:

> Well - what I'm thinking is what I seem to recall that Unix/Linux does in
> that I can set up fstab to know of a mount point but not mount it
> automatically until I tell it too and then I can mount and unmount at will
> for changing the cd.

  Cygwin does all that automatically for you, based on the support in the
underlying windows OS.  You don't need to tell it when you change the cd.

> But as I say I am probably overthinking this for the Cygwin on Windows
> environment - does it really care if I change cd's without a unmount and
> then mount?

  'mount' and 'unmount' are utterly different kinds of beast on Cygwin as
they are on the Linux platform; they don't do the same job, and in any case
that job doesn't even need doing.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Thought/Suggestion/Is it Possible for the new Cygwin 1.7  /etc/fstab
@ 2008-06-10 19:14       ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2008-06-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:
> > But as I say I am probably overthinking this for the Cygwin on Windows
> > environment - does it really care if I change cd's without a unmount and
> > then mount?
>
>   'mount' and 'unmount' are utterly different kinds of beast on Cygwin as
> they are on the Linux platform; they don't do the same job, and in any case
> that job doesn't even need doing.

Thanks Dave and Corinna for the response and clarification - just as I
thought - I was overthinking it.

@ 2008-06-11  0:27         ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2008-06-11  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Brian Keener
<bkeenerReMoVeAnTiSpAm@thesoftwaresource.com> wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> > But as I say I am probably overthinking this for the Cygwin on Windows
>> > environment - does it really care if I change cd's without a unmount and
>> > then mount?
>>
>>   'mount' and 'unmount' are utterly different kinds of beast on Cygwin as
>> they are on the Linux platform; they don't do the same job, and in any case
>> that job doesn't even need doing.
>
> Thanks Dave and Corinna for the response and clarification - just as I
> thought - I was overthinking it.
>
> bk

Keep in mind that cygwin is not Linux/Unix, it's CYGWIN.  It makes
life on Windows much easier by being "unix-LIKE", but it's not unix.