* file permission problem
@ 2016-04-16  1:16 Barry Gold
From: Barry Gold @ 2016-04-16  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I updated my cygwin to the latest 32-bit version (I hope), and I'm
having a problem with file permissions. Newly created files and
directories lack write permission even for the owner.

Here's some relevant stuff from my Cygwin shell window:

-----------------
~ % umask
0022
~ % touch x
~ % ll x
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
~ % ll .
drwxrwx---+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 ./
~ % cd bin
~/bin % ll .
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:12 ./
~/bin % touch x
~/bin % ll x
-r--r--r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
~/bin %
-----------------

If I create a file in my home directory, the file permissions come out
correct. But if I create a file in my bin directory, the file
permissions are wrong -- write permission is missing, even for the owner
(me).

This is x86 cygwin on Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

--
On Beta, we'd have earrings for that. You could buy them in any jewelry store.
http://www.conchord.org/xeno/bdgsig.html

* Re: file permission problem
@ 2016-04-16 20:38 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-04-16 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/04/2016 03:16, Barry Gold wrote:
> I updated my cygwin to the latest 32-bit version (I hope), and I'm
> having a problem with file permissions. Newly created files and
> directories lack write permission even for the owner.
>
> Here's some relevant stuff from my Cygwin shell window:
>
> -----------------
> ~ % umask
> 0022
> ~ % touch x
> ~ % ll x
> -rw-rw-r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
> ~ % ll .
> drwxrwx---+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 ./
> ~ % cd bin
> ~/bin % ll .
> drwxr-xr-x+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:12 ./
> ~/bin % touch x
> ~/bin % ll x
> -r--r--r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
> ~/bin %
> -----------------
>
> If I create a file in my home directory, the file permissions come out
> correct. But if I create a file in my bin directory, the file
> permissions are wrong -- write permission is missing, even for the owner
> (me).
>
> This is x86 cygwin on Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

check ACL permissions of the directory

  icacls bin

* Re: file permission problem
@ 2007-11-28  1:07 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2007-11-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Win Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a difficult problem which I don't know how to solve and I'll
> appreciate any help.
> I'm using windows XP Home with cygwin and I want to remove the directory
> 'no_bulk' and all the files within it.
>
> The following commands show me something like this
>
> $ rm -r no_bulk
> rm: cannot remove `no_bulk/con': No such file or directory
>
> $ ls -l no_bulk
> ls: no_bulk/con: No such file or directory
> total 0
> ---------- 0 ???????? ???????? 0 Jan  1  1970 con
>
> I tried to delete it through windows explorer as a administrator but it
> say cannot find the specified file even though it shows the file and say
> the file has 71kB and modified on 15/09/2007.
>
> I've search google but cannot find anything that helps.
> This is not the only directory that has this wired file and I want to
> get rid of them.
> please help

'con' is a reserved Windows file name.  You must have worked pretty hard
to create it since you can't create it by normal means.  Anyway, you can
get rid of it using the '//?/<fully qualified path>' syntax.  For
example:

bash-3.2$ mkdir foo
bash-3.2$ cd foo
/cygdrive/f/foo
bash-3.2$ touch '//?/f:/foo/con'
bash-3.2$ ls -l
ls: con: No such file or directory
total 0
---------- 0 ???????? ???????? 0 Dec 31  1969 con
bash-3.2$ rm '//?/f:/foo/con'
bash-3.2$ ls -l
total 0

Holliston, MA 01746

* file permission problem
@ 2007-11-28  0:57 Win Tong
From: Win Tong @ 2007-11-28  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

Winnie

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 16:41                 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2004-09-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep 24 07:51, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> smbntsec doesn't work reliably given the variability of smb servers.
>>
>> Still seems strange to me. If off it doesn't work at all (right?)!
>> Even if it worked 50% of the time that's 50% better than 0%.
>
> What's strange in having an unreliable option only switched on if the
> user really wants it and (hopefully) knows what (s)he's doing?

The people who either doesn't know what they are doing (but know what
they want) and don't have a clue of what they need to search for and how
to turn it on, may benefit from it being on, it working correctly in
those cases where it does work! ;-)

Actually I don't know of a case where the user wants ntsec to be ignored
just because the file system is mounted (again, assuming it works
properly in their environment).

Which situations does it not work reliably in? Does it work reliably
when there is all Windows systems involved (sans 9x), which I would
think would be a pretty common situation? Does it just have problems
with some versions of Samba?
--
Hit any user to continue.

* RE: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 16:26 Hughes, Bill
From: Hughes, Bill @ 2004-09-24 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:42:05AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to understand why one would want ntsec on by default and
>>> smbntsec off by default?
>>
>> smbntsec doesn't work reliably given the variability of smb servers.
>
> Still seems strange to me. If off it doesn't work at all (right?)!
> Even if it worked 50% of the time that's 50% better than 0%.

It's less predictable so it's not necessarily better.
If you try and use it and don't know if it's going to work or not...

Bill
--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender as soon as possible and delete the message. Please note that we
are able to, and reserve the right to, monitor e-mail communications
passing through our network.

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 15:19               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-09-24 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sep 24 07:51, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:42:05AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to understand why one would want ntsec on by default and
> >>smbntsec off by default?
> >
> >smbntsec doesn't work reliably given the variability of smb servers.
>
> Still seems strange to me. If off it doesn't work at all (right?)! Even
> if it worked 50% of the time that's 50% better than 0%.

What's strange in having an unreliable option only switched on if the
user really wants it and (hopefully) knows what (s)he's doing?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 15:09             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-09-24 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sep 24 10:50, Doctor Bill wrote:
> Does smbntsec work if the file system is shared from a Win9x machine?

No.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 15:08             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2004-09-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:42:05AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to understand why one would want ntsec on by default and
>> smbntsec off by default?
>
> smbntsec doesn't work reliably given the variability of smb servers.

Still seems strange to me. If off it doesn't work at all (right?)! Even
if it worked 50% of the time that's 50% better than 0%.

--
<-------- The information went data way -------->

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 14:59           ` Doctor Bill
From: Doctor Bill @ 2004-09-24 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does smbntsec work if the file system is shared from a Win9x machine?
If so, where are the NT ACL's stored?

                                        Bill

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:42:05 -0700, Andrew DeFaria <andrew@defaria.com> wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> If this is true then the docs need to be updated, or at least clarified.
> >>
> >> "(no)smbntsec - if set, use ntsec on remote drives as well (this is the
> >> default)."
> >

> > Urgh. This is how I intended to implement it when I did ... three
> > years ago? Dunno anymore, but nosmbntsec is default already for ages.
> >
> > I've changed the documentation.
>
> I'm trying to understand why one would want ntsec on by default and
> smbntsec off by default?
> --
> The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
>

> --

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 14:58           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-09-24 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-09-24 14:51         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2004-09-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-09-24 13:37       ` Doctor Bill
From: Doctor Bill @ 2004-09-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

I just verified the umask patch is still in place:

$ (umask 000;ls -la /cygdrive/c/IO.SYS);(umask 077;ls -la /cygdrive/c/IO.SYS)
-rwxr-xr-x    1 docbill  None       222390 Apr 23  1999 /cygdrive/c/IO.SYS
-rwx------    1 docbill  None       222390 Apr 23  1999 /cygdrive/c/IO.SYS

So if your problem is that you are using Win9x, &/or FAT32 you are in
luck.  The remaining question is if this works for network mounts with
Win9x....

                              Bill

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:36:31 -0400, Doctor Bill <docbill@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think about a year ago there was a patch added to the cygwin core to
> allow you to use 'umask' to change apparent permissions on a FAT32
> partition.  The idea was you could then do something like:
>
> umask 077; ssh foo.bar.com
>
> I do not know if this code is still in the cygwin libraries, and if it
> will solve your problem.
>
>                              Bill
>

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:52:21 -0400, Larry Hall
> <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > At 09:59 PM 9/23/2004, you wrote:
> > >Dear all,
> > >
> > >    I have try to generate a private key file so that I don't need
> > >to enter password everytime I "ssh" to a remote machine. However, "ssh"
> > >complaints me about the permission of key file. I don't know why "chmod"
> > >always return 666 or 444 even I want to change the file to 600 or 400.
> > >
> > >    Does anymore have idea? Thanks.
> >

> > Does this describe your situation?
> >
> > Why doesn't chmod work?
> > <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC41>
> >
> > --
> > Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> > RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> > 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> > Holliston, MA 01746
> >

> > --

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 13:20     ` Doctor Bill
From: Doctor Bill @ 2004-09-24 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

I think about a year ago there was a patch added to the cygwin core to
allow you to use 'umask' to change apparent permissions on a FAT32
partition.  The idea was you could then do something like:

umask 077; ssh foo.bar.com

I do not know if this code is still in the cygwin libraries, and if it
will solve your problem.

                             Bill

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:52:21 -0400, Larry Hall
<lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> At 09:59 PM 9/23/2004, you wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >    I have try to generate a private key file so that I don't need
> >to enter password everytime I "ssh" to a remote machine. However, "ssh"
> >complaints me about the permission of key file. I don't know why "chmod"
> >always return 666 or 444 even I want to change the file to 600 or 400.
> >
> >    Does anymore have idea? Thanks.
>

> Does this describe your situation?
>
> Why doesn't chmod work?
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC41>
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746
>

> --

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24 12:42       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-09-24 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sep 24 02:36, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > Yes.  You probably lack the SeRestorePrivilege right on your login
> > > token, or for some strange reason you have nosmbntsec set.  RTFM:
> > > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
> >
> > nosmbntsec is default.
>
> If this is true then the docs need to be updated, or at least clarified.
>
> "(no)smbntsec - if set, use ntsec on remote drives as well (this is the
> default)."

Urgh.  This is how I intended to implement it when I did ... three
years ago?  Dunno anymore, but nosmbntsec is default already for ages.

I've changed the documentation.

Thanks for the hint,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24  9:47     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2004-09-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep 24 01:43, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > jackylam@solomon-systech.com wrote:
> > >
> > > No, it is an NTFS on a network drive. Is it related?
> >
> > Yes.  You probably lack the SeRestorePrivilege right on your login
> > token, or for some strange reason you have nosmbntsec set.  RTFM:
> > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
>
> nosmbntsec is default.

If this is true then the docs need to be updated, or at least clarified.

"(no)smbntsec - if set, use ntsec on remote drives as well (this is the
default)."

Or did you mean that "smbntsec" is the default?

Brian

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24  9:31 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2004-09-24  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-09-24  9:31   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-09-24  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-09-24  8:35 jackylam
From: jackylam @ 2004-09-24  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter, cygwin

Oh...yes, it really related. Is there any way to resolve this? If not, how can I change my home to other local drive?

From: jackylam @ 2004-09-24  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter, cygwin

No, it is an NTFS on a network drive. Is it related?

This sound suspiciously like the files are on a FAT32 file partition.
Are they?

On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:32 PM, <jackylam@solomon-systech.com> wrote:

> Yes. But I have already export the environment variable "ntsec" and
> restart cygwin. But chmod still doesn't work. Do I need to run any
> server in order to activate the change?
>
> Jacky

Enjoy,
Peter

* Re: File permission problem
@ 2004-09-24  5:22 ` Peter Rehley
From: Peter Rehley @ 2004-09-24  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

This sound suspiciously like the files are on a FAT32 file partition.
Are they?

On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:32 PM, <jackylam@solomon-systech.com> wrote:

> Yes. But I have already export the environment variable "ntsec" and
> restart cygwin. But chmod still doesn't work. Do I need to run any
> server in order to activate the change?
>
> Jacky

Enjoy,
Peter