* g++ command
@ 2004-01-12 16:22 Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello.
I'm kind of a newbie at c++ and cygwin. I've just installed cygwin on my
pc, including all the g++ packages. I try to compile with the simple
command:

g++ -c Test.cpp

but all I get is the depressing reply:

bash: g++: command not found

Have I forgotten something? Do I need something extra? Am I not using the
right command?

Appreciate any help,
Angelika

* RE: g++ command
@ 2004-01-12 16:24 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-01-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  Most likely something went wrong with your install, unless you've been
messing with your $PATH setting in your .bashrc or something like that.

  What's the output from 'which g++' or 'cygcheck g++' ?  It should be in
/usr/bin, usually....

   cheers,
     DaveK

* Re: g++ command
@ 2004-01-12 16:38 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-01-12 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelika Olsson, cygwin

At 11:07 AM 1/12/2004, Angelika Olsson you wrote:
>Hello.
>I'm kind of a newbie at c++ and cygwin. I've just installed cygwin on my
>pc, including all the g++ packages. I try to compile with the simple
>command:
>
>g++ -c Test.cpp
>
>but all I get is the depressing reply:
>
>bash: g++: command not found
>
>Have I forgotten something?

Yes.  See the link for problem reports below.

>Do I need something extra?

Probably, though if you had attached the output of cygcheck, I could
be more certain.  But my WAG is that you didn't install the g++ package.

>Am I not using the
>right command?

No, you are using the correct command.  You just haven't installed it or
Cygwin can't find it for some reason.

>--

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 10:17   ` Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-14 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Cygwin List <cygwin@cygwin.com> skriver:
>At 11:07 AM 1/12/2004, Angelika Olsson you wrote:
>>Hello.
>>I'm kind of a newbie at c++ and cygwin. I've just installed cygwin on my
>>pc, including all the g++ packages. I try to compile with the simple
>>command:
>>
>>g++ -c Test.cpp
>>
>>but all I get is the depressing reply:
>>
>>bash: g++: command not found
>>
>>Have I forgotten something?
>

>Yes.  See the link for problem reports below.
>

>>Do I need something extra?
>

>Probably, though if you had attached the output of cygcheck, I could
>be more certain.  But my WAG is that you didn't install the g++ package.

Would love to, how do I get the output from cygcheck. What is it?

>>Am I not using the
>>right command?
>

>No, you are using the correct command.  You just haven't installed it or
>Cygwin can't find it for some reason.

As far as I can see I have downloaded and installed these packages

gcc:
gcc-ada
gcc-core
gcc-g77
gcc-g++
gcc-gpc
gcc-java

gcc-mingw:
gcc-mingw-ada
gcc-mingw-core
gcc-mingw-g77
gcc-mingw-g++
gcc-mingw-gpc
gcc-mingw-java

what else do I need? Any system/env. variables need to set?

Thanks,
Angelika

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 10:19     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-01-14 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelika Olsson; +Cc: Cygwin List

Hello Angelika,

> Would love to, how do I get the output from cygcheck. What is it?

Key in:

$ cygcheck -c gcc
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
gcc                  3.3.1-3        OK

$ cygcheck -c gcc-g++
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
gcc-g++              3.3.1-3        OK

To get a summeray use `cygcheck -svr' (if you send it to the list please
send as attachment).

>>>Am I not using the
>>>right command?

>>No, you are using the correct command.  You just haven't installed it or
>>Cygwin can't find it for some reason.

> As far as I can see I have downloaded and installed these packages

> gcc:
> gcc-ada
> gcc-core
> gcc-g77
> gcc-g++
> gcc-gpc
> gcc-java

> gcc-mingw:
> gcc-mingw-ada
> gcc-mingw-core
> gcc-mingw-g77
> gcc-mingw-g++
> gcc-mingw-gpc
> gcc-mingw-java

> what else do I need? Any system/env. variables need to set?

Ah I see, you have all but the `gcc' package. Please install the `gcc'
package.

It is my fault, the `gcc-core' package should be the actual compiler,
not `gcc' but as it is now, `gcc-core' is just the source for the `gcc'
package.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 10:23       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-01-14 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List; +Cc: Angelika Olsson

Hello Angelika,

>> what else do I need? Any system/env. variables need to set?

> Ah I see, you have all but the `gcc' package. Please install the `gcc'
> package.

> It is my fault, the `gcc-core' package should be the actual compiler,
> not `gcc' but as it is now, `gcc-core' is just the source for the `gcc'
> package.

Thinking again about it.  If you select one or more of the gcc-*
packages, the main package `gcc' should be selected autoatically.
Probably you unselected the `gcc' package accidently in the setup
chooser?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 14:24         ` Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: Cygwin List

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
>Hello Angelika,
>

>>> what else do I need? Any system/env. variables need to set?
>
>> Ah I see, you have all but the `gcc' package. Please install the `gcc'
>> package.
>
>> It is my fault, the `gcc-core' package should be the actual compiler,
>> not `gcc' but as it is now, `gcc-core' is just the source for the `gcc'
>> package.
>
>Thinking again about it.  If you select one or more of the gcc-*
>packages, the main package `gcc' should be selected autoatically.
>Probably you unselected the `gcc' package accidently in the setup
>chooser?
>

>Gerrit
>--
>=^..^=

Well, I can´t exclude the possibility of course. I´m gonna try installing
it againg, this time including anything (!) with the characters gcc in it
(under Devel).  Thanks for all your help, I´ll let you know how it goes
:-),
Angelika

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 15:07         ` Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: Cygwin List

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
>Thinking again about it.  If you select one or more of the gcc-*
>packages, the main package `gcc' should be selected autoatically.
>Probably you unselected the `gcc' package accidently in the setup
>chooser?

I´ve downloaded it again and it looks the same except for two additional
catalogs in the gcc catalog:

release:
	gcc:
		gcc-ada
		gcc-core
		gcc-g++
		gcc-g77
		gcc-gpc
		gcc-java
		gcc-objc
		gcc-testsuite

there is also a file called
gcc-3.3.1-3.tar.bz2 in the gcc catalog.

I´m in school now so I won´t install it until I get home, but do you think
this will make a difference? Are there other packages under Devel that
I´ll need?

Angelika

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 15:11           ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-01-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelika Olsson; +Cc: Cygwin List

Angelika schrieb:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
>>Thinking again about it.  If you select one or more of the gcc-*
>>packages, the main package `gcc' should be selected autoatically.
>>Probably you unselected the `gcc' package accidently in the setup
>>chooser?

> I´ve downloaded it again and it looks the same except for two additional
> catalogs in the gcc catalog:

> release:
>         gcc:
>                 gcc-ada
>                 gcc-core
>                 gcc-g++
>                 gcc-g77
>                 gcc-gpc
>                 gcc-java
>                 gcc-objc
>                 gcc-testsuite

> there is also a file called
> gcc-3.3.1-3.tar.bz2 in the gcc catalog.

> I´m in school now so I won´t install it until I get home, but do you think
> this will make a difference? Are there other packages under Devel that
> I´ll need?

gcc-core & gcc-testsuite includes only the source & testsuite for the
backend, you probably don't want to install it, so make the list to be:

                 gcc
                 gcc-ada
                 gcc-g++
                 gcc-g77
                 gcc-gpc
                 gcc-java
                 gcc-objc

The mingw components are automatically selected if you select the above.

You'll also need the binutils package which includes the linker.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 15:19             ` Angelika Olsson
       [not found]               ` <1351396628986.20040114162322@familiehaase.de>
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-14 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: Cygwin List

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
>gcc-core & gcc-testsuite includes only the source & testsuite for the
>backend, you probably don't want to install it, so make the list to be:
>
>                 gcc
>                 gcc-ada
>                 gcc-g++
>                 gcc-g77
>                 gcc-gpc
>                 gcc-java
>                 gcc-objc
>
>The mingw components are automatically selected if you select the above.
>
>You'll also need the binutils package which includes the linker.

OK. Thanks. Are the "gcc" catalog and the rest of them supposed to be on
the same level in the "release" catalog? I have the gcc-ada etc IN the gcc
catalog witch is IN the release catalog. Is this right?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Angelika

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 16:51               ` Igor Pechtchanski
       [not found]               ` <1351396628986.20040114162322@familiehaase.de>
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-14 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelika Olsson; +Cc: Gerrit P. Haase, cygwin

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Angelika Olsson wrote:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
> >gcc-core & gcc-testsuite includes only the source & testsuite for the
> >backend, you probably don't want to install it, so make the list to be:
> >
> >                 gcc
> >                 gcc-ada
> >                 gcc-g++
> >                 gcc-g77
> >                 gcc-gpc
> >                 gcc-java
> >                 gcc-objc
> >
> >The mingw components are automatically selected if you select the above.
> >
> >You'll also need the binutils package which includes the linker.
>
> OK. Thanks. Are the "gcc" catalog and the rest of them supposed to be on
> the same level in the "release" catalog? I have the gcc-ada etc IN the gcc
> catalog witch is IN the release catalog. Is this right?
>
> Thank you so much for all your help!
> Angelika

Angelika,

When Gerrit says that things are "automatically selected", he assumes that
you're using Cygwin's setup.exe to install the packages.  However, as
you're talking about "catalogs", it looks like you're using ftp instead.
Note that Cygwin's setup is the only recommended (read: supported) way of
installing Cygwin packages -- any other method of installation is likely
to leave you with a broken system unless you know *exactly* what you're
doing.  If you do use setup.exe to install your Cygwin packages, please
disregard this message.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-14 17:09                 ` Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Gerrit P. Haase, cygwin

cygwin@cygwin.com writes:
>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Angelika Olsson wrote:
>
>> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> skriver:
>> >gcc-core & gcc-testsuite includes only the source & testsuite for the
>> >backend, you probably don't want to install it, so make the list to be:
>> >
>> >                 gcc
>> >                 gcc-ada
>> >                 gcc-g++
>> >                 gcc-g77
>> >                 gcc-gpc
>> >                 gcc-java
>> >                 gcc-objc
>> >
>> >The mingw components are automatically selected if you select the
>above.
>> >
>> >You'll also need the binutils package which includes the linker.
>>
>> OK. Thanks. Are the "gcc" catalog and the rest of them supposed to be on
>> the same level in the "release" catalog? I have the gcc-ada etc IN the
>gcc
>> catalog witch is IN the release catalog. Is this right?
>>
>> Thank you so much for all your help!
>> Angelika
>
>Angelika,
>
>When Gerrit says that things are "automatically selected", he assumes that
>you're using Cygwin's setup.exe to install the packages.  However, as
>you're talking about "catalogs", it looks like you're using ftp instead.
>Note that Cygwin's setup is the only recommended (read: supported) way of
>installing Cygwin packages -- any other method of installation is likely
>to leave you with a broken system unless you know *exactly* what you're
>doing.  If you do use setup.exe to install your Cygwin packages, please
>disregard this message.
>HTH,
>	Igor
>--
>				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
>ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
>    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
>"I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
>to the bathroom is a major career booster."  -- Patrick Naughton

OK, thank you for the warning. I'll use the setup.exe.
Nice kitty :-)

Angelika

@ 2004-01-15 10:03                 ` Angelika Olsson
From: Angelika Olsson @ 2004-01-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase, cygwin

I´m just writing to tell you that I think you were right. I think I had
downloaded everything but not installed it all correctly. It´s working
now!

However, the next problem seems to be to get make to work properly...

Thank you,
Angelika

* Re: g++ command, missing packages?
@ 2004-01-15 10:12                   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-01-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelika Olsson; +Cc: cygwin

Angelika wrote:

> I´m just writing to tell you that I think you were right. I think I had
> downloaded everything but not installed it all correctly. It´s working
> now!

Fine.

> However, the next problem seems to be to get make to work properly...

This should be discussed in a new thread.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html