* Curious setup behavior?
@ 2023-02-02 19:46 Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2023-02-02 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

1) Launch setup-x86_64 and go as far as the "Pending" list (assuming
    there are pending packages to be updated).  Note "Best" is selected.

2) Then click "Back" to get to the mirror selection page

3) Click "Next" again.

Now it says there is nothing pending.

4) Click back (mirror selection) and re-select the same or a different
    mirror and click "Next"

Still nothing pending, "Best" is still selected.

5) Select "Sync" instead of "Best"

All the pending packages reappear.  Switching from "Sync" back to "Best"
does not affect the display at this point.

If you initially have "Sync" selected, then switching to "Best" reveals
the missing pending items.  I.e. restoring the list seems to be
"edge-triggered" on the "Keep/Best/Sync" state.

--
Jim Garrison
jhg@acm.org

* Re: Curious setup behavior?
@ 2023-02-12 16:35 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-02-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/02/2023 19:46, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:
> 1) Launch setup-x86_64 and go as far as the "Pending" list (assuming
>     there are pending packages to be updated).  Note "Best" is selected.
>
> 2) Then click "Back" to get to the mirror selection page
>
> 3) Click "Next" again.
>
> Now it says there is nothing pending.
>
> 4) Click back (mirror selection) and re-select the same or a different
>     mirror and click "Next"
>
> Still nothing pending, "Best" is still selected.
>
> 5) Select "Sync" instead of "Best"
>
> All the pending packages reappear.  Switching from "Sync" back to "Best"
> does not affect the display at this point.

Well, it does because these are two different things, but in most usual
circumstances they select the same set of packages.

(I think e.g. if you've previously installed a test version, they will
give different results)

> If you initially have "Sync" selected, then switching to "Best" reveals
> the missing pending items.  I.e. restoring the list seems to be
> "edge-triggered" on the "Keep/Best/Sync" state.

Yes, this is almost certainly not implemented correctly.

Unfortunately, this is complex, because of interactions with how we
apply packages and selection modes selected via the command line. It's
not clear at all to me what should happen here when those exist and
you've then modified them in the chooser and then go back and forward.

At the moment, the back button is always enabled, I think.  There's
probably some points in the flow where we shouldn't allow that.