* Ruby for Cygwin [was Re: Concurrent versions of cygwin1.dll on on e system]
@ 2002-07-10  9:18 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
From: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG @ 2002-07-10  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I can tell you that Ruby builds right out of the box.  Simple

./configure
make
make install

does the trick.  It MUST be the ultimate in easy, as *I* can do it.
(Now they will go and change something just to make me look
dumber than I already do)

Wayne Keen

* Re: Ruby for Cygwin [was Re: Concurrent versions of cygwin1.dll on on e system]
@ 2002-07-10  9:24 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

--- Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG <keenwa@eglin.af.mil> wrote:
> I can tell you that Ruby builds right out of the box.  Simple
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> does the trick.  It MUST be the ultimate in easy, as *I* can do it.
> (Now they will go and change something just to make me look
> dumber than I already do)

My point was that someone who uses Ruby should politely ask the author to
submit his package for inclusion in the Cygwin distribution.  This will
save headaches for users in the future if they get their dll from one
source.  Besides, I've been wanting to check out Ruby at some point...  Oh
well, I guess we'll see...

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Ruby for cygwin [was Re: Concurrent versions of cygwin1.dll on on e system]
@ 2002-07-10 10:41   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:36:42AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>--- Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG <keenwa@eglin.af.mil> wrote:
>> I can tell you that Ruby builds right out of the box.  Simple
>>
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> does the trick.  It MUST be the ultimate in easy, as *I* can do it.
>> (Now they will go and change something just to make me look
>> dumber than I already do)
>>

>My point was that someone who uses Ruby should politely ask the author to
>submit his package for inclusion in the Cygwin distribution.  This will
>save headaches for users in the future if they get their dll from one
>source.  Besides, I've been wanting to check out Ruby at some point...  Oh
>well, I guess we'll see...

I agree 100% that it would be nice not to have Ruby marching to the beat of
a different drummer.

Anyone interested in sending a polite note?  Is anyone already involved in
Ruby development, maybe?

cgf

* RE: Ruby for cygwin [was Re: Concurrent versions of cygwin1.dll on on e system]
@ 2002-07-10 13:23     ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2002-07-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Christopher Faylor
> I agree 100% that it would be nice not to have Ruby marching to the
beat of
> a different drummer.
>
> Anyone interested in sending a polite note?  Is anyone already
involved in
> Ruby development, maybe?

If you don't mind I would forward this message to
ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (it is an open mailing list
anyway)?  For some reason all the recent setup.exe's
bail out on my machine, so I have a good excuse not
to volunteer for this job.

/Christoph

* Re[2]: Ruby for cygwin [was Re: Concurrent versions of cygwin1.dll on on e system]
@ 2002-07-10 14:47       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-07-10 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Christoph,

C> If you don't mind I would forward this message to
C> ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (it is an open mailing list
C> anyway)?  For some reason all the recent setup.exe's
C> bail out on my machine, so I have a good excuse not
C> to volunteer for this job.

But you don't have an excuse for not reporting them to the list, do
you ? I actually do not recall any crash reports from you...

What kind of problems are you experiencing with setup.exe ? If there
is a crash - send the exception information, along with a short
description of what choices have you made on the various setup.exe
pages.