* Re: Does anyone have a man command??
@ 1997-03-27 14:38 Wei Ku
From: Wei Ku @ 1997-03-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

> I'm not sure if this mailing list is the right place to
> send this question, but I'm trying to find a man command
> to allow me to view the man pages that are distributed with
> the gnu-win32 toolset.  I've searched everywhere, but can't
> seem to find one (or an equivalent *roff command).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Pete

Since there is a question about man.exe. I have another similar question:
Where can I find the command: 'more' ?

Any reply is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Wei Ku

***************************************
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Tennessee
1408 Circle Drive
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-1200
weiku@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
---------------------------------------
Solid State Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O.Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6032
Phone: (423) 574-5795
Fax: (423) 574-4143
weiku@solid.ssd.ornl.gov
***************************************

-

* more command (was: Re: Does anyone have a man command??)
@ 1997-03-28  9:25 ` I.Ioannou
From: I.Ioannou @ 1997-03-28  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Ku; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:38:43 -0500, "Wei Ku" <weiku@UTKUX1.UTK.EDU> wrote:

>Since there is a question about man.exe. I have another similar question:
>Where can I find the command: 'more' ?
>
>Any reply is appreciated.

I have compile less-321  with Borland C/C++ 4.02. The makefile.bcc is for dos, but with a
liltle changes I made it for Win32. You can find the binaries at :

ftp://argeas.argos.hol.gr/pub/unix/win32/less.zip

--

I.Ioannou (roryt@hol.gr)

-

* Re: Does anyone have a man command??
@ 1997-03-28 10:32 Christophe Agathon
From: Christophe Agathon @ 1997-03-28 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Ku, gnu-win32

I don't know where you can find a 'more', but you can use 'less', whitch is
the
GNU alternative (and improved) 'more ' command.
I managed to compile less-v321 with cygnus b17.1 distrib and libtermcap-1.3
from GNU.
It was quite easy (I'm new in gnu win32 programming, but i know unix).
Feel free to ask for tips

Regards

        Christophe
        (chrisaga@club-internet.fr)

> > send this question, but I'm trying to find a man command
> > to allow me to view the man pages that are distributed with
> > the gnu-win32 toolset.  I've searched everywhere, but can't
> > seem to find one (or an equivalent *roff command).
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Pete
>
> Since there is a question about man.exe. I have another similar question:
> Where can I find the command: 'more' ?
>
> Any reply is appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Wei Ku
>
> ***************************************
> Department of Physics and Astronomy
> The University of Tennessee
> 1408 Circle Drive
> Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-1200
> weiku@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
> ---------------------------------------
> Solid State Division
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> P.O.Box 2008
> Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6032
> Phone: (423) 574-5795
> Fax: (423) 574-4143
> weiku@solid.ssd.ornl.gov
> ***************************************
>
> -
> For help on using this list, send a message to
-

* Re: Does anyone have a man command??
@ 1997-03-27 20:59 ` David Shochat
From: David Shochat @ 1997-03-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: craft; +Cc: gnu-win32

Peter Craft wrote:

> I'm not sure if this mailing list is the right place to
> send this question, but I'm trying to find a man command
> to allow me to view the man pages that are distributed with
> the gnu-win32 toolset.  I've searched everywhere, but can't
> seem to find one (or an equivalent *roff command).

Yes, when I first downloaded the Cygnus toolset, my first major
frustration was seeing all those man pages and finding nothing to view
them with. What I finally did was to get a non-Cygnus port of groff:
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/groff-1.10nt.zip
Note that it does not include the groff driver program since whoever did
this port hadn't yet gotten that working under Win95/NT. So you have to
set up your pipeline yourself. For instance, I have the following bash
shell function defined in my .bashrc:

function mman() { troff -man -Tascii $1 | grotty | less; }

That's not very elegant, since you have to pass the actual man page file
to it. I'm sure I've seen smarter versions from others on this list.

Now I couldn't find less in the Cygnus toolset either. The one I use
came from:
http://wwwdim.uqac.uquebec.ca/ftp/pub/gnuwin32/less321w.zip

Don't try to use "mount"ed directories or the Cygnus-only //d/path way
of specifying drives since these are non-Cygnus ports and they won't
understand any of that.
-- David
-

* Does anyone have a man command??