* Re: Stupid stupid remarks
@ 1997-03-28 13:27 Wei Ku
From: Wei Ku @ 1997-03-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Disagreement is good. Please do not make it personal. I will feel sorry if
you just give up. I believe most of us would like to hear voice from
different sides.
Also, this mailing list has helped me a lot. I feel shame that I have not
made any contribution because of lack of knowledge.
Keep going!

Sincerely,
Wei Ku

***************************************
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Tennessee
1408 Circle Drive
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-1200
weiku@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
---------------------------------------
Solid State Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O.Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6032
Phone: (423) 574-5795
Fax: (423) 574-4143
weiku@solid.ssd.ornl.gov
***************************************

----------
> From: Eric Bovell <eric@desint.com>
> To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: Stupid stupid remarks
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 11:50 PM
>
> On 26 Mar 97 at 18:05, DRS wrote:
>
> > Your lack of civility is amusing. But it proves nothing more than
> > your general status as Unix oaf and Windows wanna-be.
>
> I originally thought I might get something useful out of this mailing
> list (and maybe even be able to contribute a bit).  Most
> technically-specific mailing lists tend to be civil, intelligent,
> and generally enlightening. But the realization that someone like DRS
> is continuously insulting everyone on this list is enough to make me
> get out.  If he actually contributed something useful, I *might* put
> up with it, but that's not the case.
>
> I'll leave you all to receive your insults from DRS (unforturnately,
> I'm sure this activity is the hightlight of his day).
>
> - Eric Bovell
> -
> For help on using this list, send a message to
-

* Re: Stupid stupid remarks
@ 1997-03-28 10:32   ` Jim Balter
From: Jim Balter @ 1997-03-28 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric; +Cc: gnu-win32

Eric Bovell wrote:

> On 26 Mar 97 at 18:05, DRS wrote:
>
> > Your lack of civility is amusing. But it proves nothing more than
> > your general status as Unix oaf and Windows wanna-be.
>
> I originally thought I might get something useful out of this mailing
> list (and maybe even be able to contribute a bit).  Most
> technically-specific mailing lists tend to be civil, intelligent,
> and generally enlightening. But the realization that someone like DRS
> is continuously insulting everyone on this list is enough to make me
> get out.  If he actually contributed something useful, I *might* put
> up with it, but that's not the case.
>
> I'll leave you all to receive your insults from DRS (unforturnately,
> I'm sure this activity is the hightlight of his day).

Since I feel some responsibility here, I will take it upon myself to
suggest that you not react hastily.  While DRS did get carried away
and posted a number of ad hominem remarks to A Phillip Smith and then
to me, culminating with the quoted silliness, he did this in a small
number of messages in quite a short period; his previous postings
were not of that sort.  In any case, there is plenty of useful
information posted to this mailing list, so I would hope you
wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.  If you don't find the
mailing list of value to you then by all means drop it, but please
don't do just just because someone insulted *me*; I can give as good
as I take, as witnessed by the subject line (which of course was
a play on the previous "... ... question" subject).

--
<J Q B>
-

* Re: Stupid stupid remarks
@ 1997-03-27 22:51 ` Eric Bovell
From: Eric Bovell @ 1997-03-27 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-03-27 20:59 Sean McNeil
From: Sean McNeil @ 1997-03-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drs, 'Jim Balter'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Which of course is not the point.  But in fact, Phil's code works
if -lkernel32 is omitted from the command line.

It appears that including a library twice that contains dll jump table information will hose up
a binary.  I've noticed this as well.  When I have -lkernel32 in there twice (the gcc spec
automatically includes it already) things do not work properly.

-

* Re: Stupid stupid remarks
@ 1997-03-27 14:13 Derek Greene
From: Derek Greene @ 1997-03-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Balter; +Cc: gnu-win32

way to go jim!!!!

@ 1997-03-26  1:11     ` Jim Balter
From: Jim Balter @ 1997-03-26  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drs; +Cc: gnu-win32

DRS wrote:

> Jim Balter wrote:
>
> > Under NT 4.0, the program dies just by virtue of *referencing*
> > GetFullPathName, without calling it (as APS said).
>
> Huh. Must be a bug in the linker. (Not.)

It is, and I've proven it.

> The following code compiles and works correctly under win95.

It has been proven that Win NT misbehaves in cases where win95 does not;
ld -s is a well-known example.

> // g++ -o test.exe test.cpp

This has nothing to do with the bug being discussed.

> So even though you and Phil claim to have found a linker bug, I have
> yet to be able to reproduce it.

So what?  You haven't run the same code, nor on the same system.

> The correct prototype for GetFullPathName looks like this, Jim:

Well known to me, but irrelevant.

> Perhaps. But my code seems to work, while yours and Phil's doesn't. ;)

Which of course is not the point.  But in fact, Phil's code works
if -lkernel32 is omitted from the command line.

> Regards as always.

Not from me.

--
<J Q B>