* cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-09  6:49 Marc Auslander
From: Marc Auslander @ 1997-04-09  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

(running latest)

cat seems to stop before the end of input - I assume at an end of file
character.  cat --help doesn't offer a binary flag.  How can I cat
binary files?

Marc Auslander   <marc@watson.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Tieline 862 Fax x4426)
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-09 14:20 ` Ed Huott
From: Ed Huott @ 1997-04-09 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message < 9704091349.AA39368@marc.watson.ibm.com >, Marc Auslander writes:
>(running latest)
>
>cat seems to stop before the end of input - I assume at an end of file
>character.  cat --help doesn't offer a binary flag.  How can I cat
>binary files?

Use the 'mount' command with the '-b' option to make sure that the
drive on which the file resides is "mounted" with the binary flag set
(text==binary) in the cygwin world.  There is some discussion about
this in the FAQ and/or README files.

If you are comfortable with mucking around in the Windows registry, you
can view/change the settings for these virtual drive mounts for the
current user under the following key sub-tree:

  HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Support/CYGWIN.DLL setup/b15.0/mounts

The value for the "fbinary" key under the appropriate device number
can be set to 1 to turn on the behavior where all files are treated as
binary (recommended).

Note that the "b15.0" settings still apply to the b17.1 installation.
These setting are preserved from one Windows login session to the
next.

Hope you find this useful.

<ED>
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-10  1:32   ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-04-10  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Huott; +Cc: marc, gnu-win32

If cat is stopping at Ctl-Z on anything but console input, it is a bug.
There has been no actual "end-of-file" marker in DOS since version 2.0.
The Ctl-Z is only EOF for the *console*, just like Ctl-D is EOF for
/dev/tty under Unix.  And, like /dev/tty, it's only EOF when the console is
in cooked mode.  If you put the console into raw mode, Ctl-Z does nothing.

Some DOS programs have yet to alter their behavior and still place Ctl-Z at
the end of disk files.  This is also a bug, though if you want to support
DOS 1.0, you could call it a feature.

All this aside, IMHO, cat is inherently a binary program -- it shouldn't
care whether newline is CR, LF, or CR+LF unless one of the line-based
options is used (bns).

BTW, I wouldn't recommend using binary mode.  I tried that briefly and
found that rebuilding will fail rather miserably.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cisco.com

\f
| Subject: Re: cat and binary files
| Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 17:22:26 -0400
| From: Ed Huott <huott@pinebush.com>
|
| In message < 9704091349.AA39368@marc.watson.ibm.com >, Marc Auslander writes:
| >cat seems to stop before the end of input - I assume at an end of file
| >character.  cat --help doesn't offer a binary flag.  How can I cat
|
| Use the 'mount' command with the '-b' option to make sure that the
| can be set to 1 to turn on the behavior where all files are treated as
| binary (recommended).
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-10 12:18 ` Marc Auslander
From: Marc Auslander @ 1997-04-10 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc; +Cc: gnu-win32

I tried doing binary mounts with the following results.

1.  cat now produces a file larger than the sum of the input file
sizes.

2.  bash gets confused reading .bashrc

3.  I don't know how to get binary while using explicit path notation.

So I'll go back to text mode mounts for now, and if necessary write a
cat that works.

@ 1997-04-10 16:08     ` Ed Huott
From: Ed Huott @ 1997-04-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Iverson; +Cc: marc, gnu-win32

In message < 199704100238.TAA21049@rottweiler.cisco.com >, Tim Iverson writes:
>If cat is stopping at Ctl-Z on anything but console input, it is a bug.
>There has been no actual "end-of-file" marker in DOS since version 2.0.
>The Ctl-Z is only EOF for the *console*, just like Ctl-D is EOF for
>/dev/tty under Unix.  And, like /dev/tty, it's only EOF when the console is
>in cooked mode.  If you put the console into raw mode, Ctl-Z does nothing.
>
>Some DOS programs have yet to alter their behavior and still place Ctl-Z at
>the end of disk files.  This is also a bug, though if you want to support
>DOS 1.0, you could call it a feature.
>
>All this aside, IMHO, cat is inherently a binary program -- it shouldn't
>care whether newline is CR, LF, or CR+LF unless one of the line-based
>options is used (bns).
>
>BTW, I wouldn't recommend using binary mode.  I tried that briefly and
>found that rebuilding will fail rather miserably.

The relative merits of text vs. binary mode have all been discussed on
this list before in some excruciating detail.  I would suggest
perusing the mailing list archives to anyone new who is interested in
the subject.  I do not wish to rekindle that thread here.

<ED>
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-10 18:19   ` Ed Huott
From: Ed Huott @ 1997-04-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc; +Cc: gnu-win32

In message < 9704101917.AA21816@marc.watson.ibm.com >, Marc Auslander writes:
>I tried doing binary mounts with the following results.
>
>1.  cat now produces a file larger than the sum of the input file
>sizes.
>
>2.  bash gets confused reading .bashrc
>
>3.  I don't know how to get binary while using explicit path notation.
>
>So I'll go back to text mode mounts for now, and if necessary write a
>cat that works.

You would probably have better luck if you could ensure that the files
you are cat'ing and your .bashrc were not "text" files, that is that
they did not contain <cr><lf> as line terminators instead of just
<lf>.

It is very simple to write a filter that will convert files from one
form to the other.

<ED>
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-11  5:36   ` kunglao
From: kunglao @ 1997-04-11  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

> I tried doing binary mounts with the following results.
>
> 1.  cat now produces a file larger than the sum of the input file
> sizes.
>
> 2.  bash gets confused reading .bashrc
>
> 3.  I don't know how to get binary while using explicit path notation.
>
> So I'll go back to text mode mounts for now, and if necessary write a
> cat that works.

It took some work to switch to an all binary-mounted system.  What'll
solve most problems is getting the dos2unix package.  I know .bashrc
needs to be converted to just have lf's, instead of the cr/lf's.  I
have that, and the groff/man commands on my ftp site,
ftp://ftp.ice.net/pub/home/python

-

* cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-12 12:20 Chuck Bogorad
From: Chuck Bogorad @ 1997-04-12 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

b.mcleod@opengroup.org wrote:

>4. i also enclose trans.exe: this little proggie ((c) Kai Uwe Rommel) will
> help _alot_. it's dual mode (dos/os2-16).
 bo> Does trans.exe translate the <CR><LF> stuff?  If so, how does it
 bo> work, and do you have source.  Thanks.

i don't have the source, but i presume it might be available because the
program is free.

[chuck@hysteria:~]trans

D:\BIN\NT\TRANS.EXE 7.8 - (c) Kai Uwe Rommel - Feb 01 1994

Usage: D:\BIN\NT\TRANS.EXE [-clmoxisbefrn] [-w#] infile ...

This program translates text files between different environments and handles
line separators, removes trailing whitespace and carriage returns and can also
expand or insert tab characters or remove backspace characters (nroff output).

  -c   separate lines by CR/LF (default on DOS and OS/2)
  -l   separate lines by single LF (default on Unix)
  -m   separate lines by single CR (for Macintosh)
  -o   input lines are separated by single CR (LF or CR/LF otherwise)

  -x   expand tabulators to blank characters
  -i   insert tabulators to replace multiple blanks
  -s   do not insert tabs into string constants between '' or ""
  -w#  set tabulator width

  -b   delete backspaces and overwritten characters
  -e   compress multiple blank lines into single ones

  -f   act as a filter
  -r   recurse through subdirectories
  -n   do not create backup files

-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-11 19:45 dahms
From: dahms @ 1997-04-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huott; +Cc: gnu-win32, dahms

Hi Ed, you wrote:

: The relative merits of text vs. binary mode have all been discussed on
: this list before in some excruciating detail.  I would suggest
: perusing the mailing list archives to anyone new who is interested in
: the subject.  I do not wish to rekindle that thread here.

Yes, it's annoying. But alas, http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/ is still
sitting at Sun 22 Dec 1996! And it's the only archive mentioned in the FAQ.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-11 12:03 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-04-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Iverson; +Cc: iverson, huott, marc, gnu-win32

At 09:04 PM 4/10/97 -0700, Tim Iverson wrote:
I'd like to inject two points here before this thread dies.

>While I would agree that it would be nice to say that all the GNU tools
>are inherently binary, that's not really true.  Many of the tools are
>line oriented, and thus require support for detecting a newline; eg.
>sed, awk, diff, grep, gcc, gas, etc..

My understanding is that this is an issue within the toolset since Cygnus
forces pipe input and output to be opened in non-binary mode.  (Here I refer
you to Chuck Bogorad's message in this same thread.)  However, I suppose
there are some occasions when a DOS/Windows program may write some output
to stdout in text mode that someone may want to pipe through to the tools
you mention above.  I expect altering Cygnus's scheme for pipes would not
remedy this situation....

>The other thing I don't understand is this list's seeming indifference
>to interoperating with Windows.  If you don't want to play with Windows
>files, why aren't you off running Unix?  That's what I do.

Complete interoperability with non-binary files generated by Windows programs
is not possible at the moment without some work.  This work takes 1 of two
forms:

  1. If you have a file that you created with a Windows/DOS based program
     and the file was not created as binary, you need to strip the CRs from
     the file to insure that it will work with the tools well (of course I'm
     assuming your mounts are also binary).

  2. Go through all the utilities and alter them so they ignore all the
     extra junk that comes along with using non-binary files.

(2) is doable and should allow someone to use the GNU versions of these tools
with no thought as to how the file was created but it is still allot of
work.  It has yet to be done.  (1) is also doable, gets you most of the
functionality that (2) does (with the possible exception of interoperable
pipe issues) and is available today.  I'm sure that perceptions of which of
these 2 general options is a necessity for these tools is highly subjective
but personally I've had very few times when I've needed to use a non-binary
Windows files with these tools where binary mounts and a filter to remove the
CRs has not sufficed....

Larry

-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-11  5:36 ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-04-11  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall; +Cc: iverson, huott, marc, gnu-win32

While I would agree that it would be nice to say that all the GNU tools
are inherently binary, that's not really true.  Many of the tools are
line oriented, and thus require support for detecting a newline; eg.
sed, awk, diff, grep, gcc, gas, etc..

DOS/Windows does not have a "text-mode", it has an ugly newline
standard.  Text-mode was a portability hack introduced into the C
library by Lattice back in the days of DOS 2.0.  Putting CR+LF/LF
translation into read() and write() made it much easier to port C
programs to DOS from elsewhere and vice-versa.  Since then, all
production C compilers have supported an identical or similar feature.

One thing I have never really understood is why so many programs keep
insisting on appending Ctl-Z to files.  There has been no EOF character
in DOS since version 1.0 (and never ever in Windows)!  Ctl-Z == EOF
applies *only* to the con device.  You can test this for yourself with
the DOS copy command.

The other thing I don't understand is this list's seeming indifference
to interoperating with Windows.  If you don't want to play with Windows
files, why aren't you off running Unix?  That's what I do.

BTW, for anyone that's interested, you can fix the Ctl-Z bug by hacking
all support for Ctl-Z out of winsup/fhandler.cc%fhandler_base::read().
It's not hard -- too trivial to post a patch.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cisco.com

\f
+----------------
| Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:42:19 -0400
| To: Tim Iverson <iverson@cisco.com>, huott@pinebush.com (Ed Huott)
| From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc 617-239-1053)" <lhall@rfk.com>
| Subject: Re: cat and binary files
| Cc: marc@watson.ibm.com, gnu-win32@cygnus.com
|
| At 07:38 PM 4/9/97 -0700, Tim Iverson wrote:
| >All this aside, IMHO, cat is inherently a binary program -- it shouldn't
|
| I would submit that you can extend your binary program argument further
| to encompass all the GNU tools.  Certainly they were initially designed for
| don't want to open up an argument on how these tools should work in a
| DOS based environment but I would like to point out that using them on
| "text" files is basically an unsupported configuration.  While it would be
| offending file through some filter.  Other than this "inter-operability"
| with DOS/Windows-based programs issue, I've seen no deleterious effects
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-11  1:45 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-04-11  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc, marc; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 03:17 PM 4/10/97 -0400, Marc Auslander wrote:
>I tried doing binary mounts with the following results.
>
>1.  cat now produces a file larger than the sum of the input file
>sizes.

I tried this and I cannot reproduce it.  You need to provide more information
about what you started with and what you did.  Mine equals out just as you'd
expect.

>2.  bash gets confused reading .bashrc

Your .bashrc may have CRs in it.  Remove them and I'll bet your problems
go away.

In general, if you change from text mounts (the default, although I'd say it
causes more harm than good) to binary mounts, all files that were in any way
written previously will likely contain CRs which may cause you problems.
This includes all files extracted from all.tar.  You'll either need to
reinstall or filter all suspected files to remove the CRs.

>3.  I don't know how to get binary while using explicit path notation.

I don't know what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?

>So I'll go back to text mode mounts for now, and if necessary write a
>cat that works.

If you feel you must make a change to cat, simply get the source and add
the "b" flag to all fopens.  It shouldn't be any more difficult than
that....

>Marc Auslander   <marc@watson.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Tieline 862 Fax x4426)

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-10 21:17 ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-04-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikey; +Cc: gnu-win32

Gah, you can't be serious.  Reload the entire source tree every time I
switch to binary mode?  That's quick.  And once I get there, I'm stuck
in Cygnus-binary-land with no way to play with anything but Cygnus code.

As to Unix emulation -- if that's the goal of the project, then I'll
simply stop wasting time on Cygnus' GNU tools and buy someone else's
product (yup, I'd pay for it if it worked ;-).  I usually use Unix, so
when I want Unix, I'll use the real thing, not some half-baked
emulation that can't interoperate with anything else on the system.

Rhetoric aside, I really don't think sterile emulation is Cygnus'
goal.  I suspect (and hope) that the ultimate goal would be to port
the GNU toolset to Windows.  This means interoperating with the native
tools and supporting Windows' standards, however onerous they may be.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cisco.com

\f
+----------------
| From: "Mikey" <jeffdb@netzone.com>
| To: "Tim Iverson" <iverson@cisco.com>
| Cc: "cygnus" <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
| Subject: Re: cat and binary files
| Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:17:09 -0700
|
| Rebuilding would only fail miserably, IF you didn't reinstall your headers,
| and source, after remounting with -b, UNIX, which gnu-win32 is supposed to
| be an emulation of, dosen't recognize CR as a necessary line delimiter, nor
| does it recognize in line EOF characters like ^Z.
-

* Re: cat and binary files
@ 1997-04-10 18:19 Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc 617-239-1053)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc 617-239-1053) @ 1997-04-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Iverson, Ed Huott; +Cc: marc, gnu-win32

At 07:38 PM 4/9/97 -0700, Tim Iverson wrote:
<snip>
>All this aside, IMHO, cat is inherently a binary program -- it shouldn't
>care whether newline is CR, LF, or CR+LF unless one of the line-based
>options is used (bns).
>
>BTW, I wouldn't recommend using binary mode.  I tried that briefly and
>found that rebuilding will fail rather miserably.

I would submit that you can extend your binary program argument further
to encompass all the GNU tools.  Certainly they were initially designed for
platforms that had no "text mode" for files and their code makes no
attempt to deal with issues arising from the use of "text" files.  I
don't want to open up an argument on how these tools should work in a
DOS based environment but I would like to point out that using them on
"text" files is basically an unsupported configuration.  While it would be
possible to go through all the utilities and alter the code to force
the opening of files as binary, this is a lot of work and essentially
only gets you the same functionality you get when you mount -b.  I think
most if not all would agree than mounting as binary is allot quicker than
modifying any amount of code.  I personally have been using binary
mounts for some time now without any major difficulty.  The only
problems I do run into have to do with trying to handle "text" files
created or edited by some DOS based program.  Typically this situation
shows up when a script file containing CRs is run or some startup/rc file
with CRs is used.  These problems are easily remedied by passing the
offending file through some filter.  Other than this "inter-operability"
with DOS/Windows-based programs issue, I've seen no deleterious effects
of using binary mounts, even for building.  For me, its been a big help!

Just my 2 cents.

Larry Hall                      lhall@rfk.com

@ 1997-04-10 16:50 Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1997-04-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Iverson; +Cc: cygnus

Rebuilding would only fail miserably, IF you didn't reinstall your headers,
and source, after remounting with -b, UNIX, which gnu-win32 is supposed to
be an emulation of, dosen't recognize CR as a necessary line delimiter, nor
does it recognize in line EOF characters like ^Z.

So if you want the tools to act like they do under unix, you should
probably provide an environment as close to unix's as possible.

writes:
> | >cat seems to stop before the end of input - I assume at an end of file
> | >character.  cat --help doesn't offer a binary flag.  How can I cat
> |
> | Use the 'mount' command with the '-b' option to make sure that the
> | can be set to 1 to turn on the behavior where all files are treated as
> | binary (recommended).
> -

-

* cat and binary files