* Cygwin32 API
@ 1997-08-18 12:31 Bill Leigh
From: Bill Leigh @ 1997-08-18 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Where would I find documentation about the use of the API?

--
Bill Leigh
wleigh@xionics.com

* Re: Cygwin32 API
@ 1997-08-20  9:06 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-08-20  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Leigh; +Cc: gnu-win32

Bill Leigh wrote:

> Where would I find documentation about the use of the API?

Currently, the documentation == the source code in most cases.
src/winsup and src/newlib contain most of the code that goes into
the cygwin.dll.

You should also read the FAQ although that doesn't say too much
about the API.  There are also the ChangeLog files in the source
directories -- search for the routine you want to know about.

If someone wants to help me document the Cygwin32 API, please
let me know.  This is really something that needs to be done.
(Defining the scope and listing limitations in terms of which
functions are only supported under Win NT and which work on
Win NT and 95).

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* RE: Cygwin32 API
@ 1997-07-02 23:40 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-02 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Robert Styma'

Robert Styma wrote:
> tools.  I have also installed the MI/X X server and it works.
> I loaded the X libraries from the site at NASA,  I have gotten
> their applications to compile and link, but they fail with
> the cygwin.dll library you supply or the patched cygwin.dll
> library they supply.  Actually, if I put their dll in the

Create valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group. I don't know why X11 fails without those.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Cygwin32 API
@ 1997-07-02 10:34 Robert Styma
From: Robert Styma @ 1997-07-02 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Dear Sir or Madam,
   In the recent past I have downloaded the b18 version
of the GNU-Win32.  It installed and works as described
in the documentation and FAQ.  I kind of expected that as
tools from GNU are usually of superior quality to commercial
tools.  I have also installed the MI/X X server and it works.
I loaded the X libraries from the site at NASA,  I have gotten
their applications to compile and link, but they fail with
the cygwin.dll library you supply or the patched cygwin.dll
library they supply.  Actually, if I put their dll in the
current directory, every command, both yours and theirs goes
belly up.  But I will bother them about this in good time.
There seemed to be X11 references in your TCL files, but
it appears that there is not enough there to link a straight
libX11.so type application.  Please say so, if I am wrong.

My question for you relates to the Cygwin32 api.  Both the FAQ
and the release notes talk about Cygwin32 api and the words
imply to me that you have developed API interfaces which would
allow me to do graphics calls to display things in the Windows 95
environment.  Is this true?  If so, is there a description of the
interfaces?

As background, I am a UNIX programmer who does a fair amount
of work with libX11.so type calls.  I am interested in moving
several applications to Windows 95 to make it easier to do
tele-working.  I know C quite well but am just getting my
feet wet in Windows 95.

Thank you for any advice, information, or pointers.
Thank you also for your remarkably good programs.