* cdk.exe install problem
@ 1997-08-04 10:11 Michael Scheer
From: Michael Scheer @ 1997-08-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I downloaded the beta18 cdk.exe.  The installation fails early on with
the following error from installshield:

"The decompression of %s failed.  There may no be enough free disk
space in the TEMP directory."

But I've got over 700 meg free in the volume holding $TEMP.  Ideas?
Thanks.

--Mike Scheer

-

* Re: cdk.exe install problem
@ 1997-08-04 22:10 ` Jeremy Blackman
From: Jeremy Blackman @ 1997-08-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Scheer; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Michael Scheer wrote:

> I downloaded the beta18 cdk.exe.  The installation fails early on with
> the following error from installshield:
>
> "The decompression of %s failed.  There may no be enough free disk
> space in the TEMP directory."
>
> But I've got over 700 meg free in the volume holding $TEMP.  Ideas?
> Thanks.

I oughtta make a template for this sort of reply. ;)

[deep breath, into rehearsed speech]

Having had to build one too many InstallShield setups at my workplace, I
can tell you that this is a bug in InstallShield, not a bug in Cygnus'
installer.  If you have more than a certain number of files in your TEMP
directory - or if you have files named the same thing InstallShield wishes
to name its files (probably from past runs of other InstallShield
install scripts) which it cannot, for some reason, write over -
InstallShield will fail.  And not gracefully, either - this failure is
indicated by that dialog box you mentioned. :)

Clearing out your TEMP directory entirely should do it - that will get rid
of both any files with conflicting names, and the potential 'too many
files' problem. :)

[out of rehearsed reply]

Hope that helps!

-

* Re: cdk.exe install problem
@ 1997-08-19 20:07   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-08-19 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Blackman; +Cc: mdash, gnu-win32

Jeremy Blackman wrote:
[...]
> Clearing out your TEMP directory entirely should do it - that will get rid
> of both any files with conflicting names, and the potential 'too many
> files' problem. :)
[...]

Added the installshield problem to the gnu-win32 FAQ.  Thanks!

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: cdk.exe install problem
@ 1997-08-04 14:17 Michael Scheer
From: Michael Scheer @ 1997-08-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert_Seeger, gnu-win32

>I had the same problem, and got a response from somebody that helped me.
>There is a bug in the installation. It seems that it fails when there are
>too many files in the TEMP directory, not just when it's out of space. Try
>removing some files from your TEMP directory. It worked for me.
>
>    Hope this help,
>    Robert Seeger

Thanks.  That seems to have done it, and I did not have that much sitting
around in $TEMP.  Strange.

--Mike Scheer

-

* Re: cdk.exe install problem
@ 1997-08-04 14:17 Robert Seeger
From: Robert Seeger @ 1997-08-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Scheer, gnu-win32

At 11:10 AM 8/4/97 -0600, Michael Scheer wrote:
>I downloaded the beta18 cdk.exe.  The installation fails early on with
>the following error from installshield:
>
>"The decompression of %s failed.  There may no be enough free disk
>space in the TEMP directory."
>
>But I've got over 700 meg free in the volume holding $TEMP.  Ideas?
>Thanks.
>
>--Mike Scheer
>

>-

Robert Seeger