* Re: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-08-31 13:43 Henrik Geleff
From: Henrik Geleff @ 1997-08-31 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sshteingold, gnu-win32

 I think it is posible to compile RCS with the cygwin tools, I have tried
but not succeeded -- I think I did not try hard enough.

I know two sources of working binaries:

            http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/

and

            http://www.mks.com/solution/si/

Don't tell me that both are comercial, I know, but they work and US $49 for
the Component Source solution is not alot !!!

Regards with the hope that it helps you

Henrik Geleff

From: J.R. Dean @ 1997-09-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 11:12 AM 9/1/97 +0900, Colin Peters wrote:
>sshteingold@cctrading.com wrote:
>>     Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
>[snip]
>>     (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not enough).
>>     Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF). Will RCS
>>     work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything to
>>     text - aka DOS - file format)
>
>Both GNU RCS 5.6.4.4 and 5.7 are available from the Virtually UNIX site:
>
>   http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/contributors.html
>
>I'm currently using 5.6.4.4 and it seems to work fine just with USER set;
>I don't need whoami or anything like that. I also seem to remember checking
>in and out some small binary files and having no problems, but I do tend
>to work fairly often in text mode, so I can't give a certain answer to your
>second question.

I can answer that question.  I use RCS 5.6.4.4 on Win95
for text files and various binary files, i.e., FrameMaker
FASL files.  No problems... other than the usual one with
binary files -- your archives get pretty large rather quickly.

-- Dean

P.S. I believe you need GNU diff for 5.6.4.4 to work properly.
I'm using diff 2.5.  (Incidentally, I'm using rcs and diff
that were not compiled using the Cygnus tools.)

* RE: RCS for WinNT
@ 1997-09-01 18:30 Colin Peters
From: Colin Peters @ 1997-09-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sshteingold@cctrading.com'; +Cc: 'GNU-Win32'

sshteingold@cctrading.com wrote:
>     Where can I get the working RCS binaries for winnt?
[snip]
>     (I have an environment var USER set, but apparently it's not enough).
>     Also, I use binary (aka UNIX) file format (no CRLF, just LF). Will RCS
>     work with it? (someone claimed that RCS 5.6 converts everything to
>     text - aka DOS - file format)

Both GNU RCS 5.6.4.4 and 5.7 are available from the Virtually UNIX site:

   http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/contributors.html

I'm currently using 5.6.4.4 and it seems to work fine just with USER set;
I don't need whoami or anything like that. I also seem to remember checking
in and out some small binary files and having no problems, but I do tend
to work fairly often in text mode, so I can't give a certain answer to your
second question.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science
-- colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp - finger for PGP public key
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-