* Re: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-22 11:49 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garbanzo, mullinwm; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
>To: "William M. Mullins" <mullinwm@picard.ml.wpafb.af.mil>
>cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: EA DATA. SF ??
>

>On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, William M. Mullins wrote:
>
>> Sir:
>>
>> I am running NT4SP3 and I now have a 29MB "EA DATA. SF" file on my
1.6GB
>> FAT partition that has only 358MB of data on it.  It has grown to
this
>> size over the course of only 3 days (with a lot of "make all"'s and
>> "make clean"'s).  I suggest a problem my be present in cleaning up
these
>> files on the system.
>
>Since you're using NT and an obsolete FAT partition, which doesn't
>suppport extended attributes, I'm guessing NT uses this file to store
the
>extended attributes for files on a FAT partition.  Cygnus's tools do
use
>these extended attributes a fair deal, as do other programs I'm sure,
so
>this file is probably worth keeping.
>
>- alex
>

>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

In what directory does EA DATA. SF get created.  I haven't been able to
find it.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

[parent not found: <199803252218.OAA12441@rtl.cygnus.com>]
[parent not found: <19980313192637.23036.qmail@hotmail.com>]
* RE: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-23  1:51 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Earnie Boyd'

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I just found mine.  This is on a WinNT 3.51.  It is 144 meg.
>
> Sergey,
>
> Help!!!! We're being driven to not use your cygwin.dll because of this.

1. Chkdsk /f this drive.
2. Do not use fat at all :-)
3. Boot from dos diskette and remove the file - you will lost all the emulated unix attributes.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* RE: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-23  1:43 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Earnie Boyd'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> I am running NT4SP3 and I now have a 29MB "EA DATA. SF" file on my
> In what directory does EA DATA. SF get created.  I haven't been able to
> find it.

In the root directory of fat partition, if you have writed something to that partition with cygwin programs.

--

@ 1997-09-22 12:58 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mullinwm, sos, gnu-win32

>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:24:17 -0400
>From: "William M. Mullins" <mullinwm@picard.ml.wpafb.af.mil>
>To: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: EA DATA. SF ??
>
>Sir:
>
>The file appears in the root directories of each FAT partition ie.
>"C:/EA DATA. SF" "D:/EA DATA. SF"  et al. and has the attributes
>"RHSA".  The file does not appear immediatly, but seems to be created
>during file transfer operations, esp. from one partition to another.
>
>Why I would need 5MB of file attributes on a half-full 100MB Zip disk I
>cannot understand!
>

>W. M. Mullins

I just found mine.  This is on a WinNT 3.51.  It is 144 meg.

Sergey,

Help!!!! We're being driven to not use your cygwin.dll because of this.

Thanks

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

[parent not found: <6d-g8SUppfB@mike.franken.de>]
* Re: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-15 12:21 Henrik Geleff
From: Henrik Geleff @ 1997-09-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, gnu-win32

 Chances is that you are using OS/2, the file is used by OS/2 to keep track
of extended attributes (i.e. EA ....); unfortunately I am not aware of any
way to make OS/2 not make it.

Regards
Henrik Geleff

From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-13  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Michael Hirmke'

Michael Hirmke wrote:
> don't know, when it started, but whenever I copy a file to a floppy
> disk, cp (or whoever) creates a file named "EA DATA. SF" on the floppy.
> Afterwards it also copies the desired file to the floppy.
>
> The file cannot be deleted, no matter what I try.
>
> Does anyone know, why this file is created ?

You took the cygwin.dll from my web page? File EA DATA. SF used by NT on
fat partitions to store file's extended attributes (the same way like in
OS/2). EAs used by cygwin.dll to store file's unix attributes (rwxrwxrwx).

--

@ 1997-09-12 14:00 Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-09-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32