* Beta 19 status
@ 1997-09-27 22:07 Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-09-27 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: Geoffrey Noer

Greetings,

I guess I should know better even hinting at dates before beta 19 is
completely finished.  :-(  You should know that I am delaying the
release for a variety of reasons -- in a nutshell, some things have not
progressed enough and other things have progressed too much such that it
will take more time to get a new gnu-win32 to a releasable stage.  That's
life I guess.

That said, the Cygwin32 library (cygwin.dll) has made a lot of progress
since the last release as those of you using Sergey's cygwin.dlls have
seen.  For now, my current plan is to make a new cygwin.dll and its sources
available soon that can be added to beta 18 to make beta 18.5.

Finally, just a heads up so you know we haven't been slacking off :-).
Cygnus has just announced a new IDE called Cygnus Foundry (see the link
from the main Cygnus Web page http://www.cygnus.com for more information).
I will let you all know how this will play with future gnu-win32 beta
releases when I can...

Best regards,

Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com
-

* Re: Beta 19 status
@ 1997-12-17  9:25 ` Bartlee A. Anderson
From: Bartlee A. Anderson @ 1997-12-17  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer; +Cc: gnu-win32

Dear Geoffrey,
Any chance for a b19 for Christmas?
Thanks,
	Bart

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I guess I should know better even hinting at dates before beta 19 is
> completely finished.  :-(  You should know that I am delaying the
> release for a variety of reasons -- in a nutshell, some things have not
> progressed enough and other things have progressed too much such that it
> will take more time to get a new gnu-win32 to a releasable stage.  That's
> life I guess.
>
> That said, the Cygwin32 library (cygwin.dll) has made a lot of progress
> since the last release as those of you using Sergey's cygwin.dlls have
> seen.  For now, my current plan is to make a new cygwin.dll and its sources
> available soon that can be added to beta 18 to make beta 18.5.
>
> Finally, just a heads up so you know we haven't been slacking off :-).
> Cygnus has just announced a new IDE called Cygnus Foundry (see the link
> from the main Cygnus Web page http://www.cygnus.com for more information).
> I will let you all know how this will play with future gnu-win32 beta
> releases when I can...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffrey Noer
> noer@cygnus.com
> -

Bartlee A. Anderson     System Test (Interfaces-Tools-Automation-ISDN)
Rockwell International                    Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct.                                banders@ecd.rockwell.com
MS 933-605      Opinions my own, not Rockwell's   VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191                               FAX   (630) 227-9771
-

* Re: Beta 19 status
@ 1997-12-17 23:51   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-12-17 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartlee A. Anderson; +Cc: gnu-win32

Bartlee A. Anderson wrote:

> Any chance for a b19 for Christmas?

Soon, I hope, but it's vacation time for me now until the end of the
year.  I really will let people know when I have a hard date to announce.
The "Coolview" dll from Sergey (see project web pages for link) has a lot
of the improvements to Cygwin32 that will be in b19 so that's worth
checking out for now.

I can say that the longer it takes for it to come out, the higher quality
the release will be but that might not be much consolation.  :-)

Happy holidays all!

Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com
-

* RE: Beta 19 status
@ 1997-08-17  9:48 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-17  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Geoffrey Noer'

Geoffrey Noer wrote:
> .exe extensions better during the build process, etc...).  So beta 19
> will happen as soon as everything settles down a little.

Signals handling is incompatible with Windows95 :-( The only way I know for
a now to run cygnus tools stable on W95 is to disable all the signal (and
job control) support. Any ideas/suggestions?

window.cc:

void
window_init ()
{
  DWORD tid;
  HANDLE hThread;

  u->self->hwnd = NULL;
> if (get_os_type () == win95)
>   return;
  window_started = CreateEvent (NULL, TRUE, FALSE, NULL);
  hThread = CreateThread (NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE) Winmain,
							NULL, 0, &tid);

Sorry, I have no ideas how to avoid random crashes with the diagnostics
like "sh.exe causes the general protection error in module USER.EXE"...
sigh :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Beta 19 status
@ 1997-08-16 23:29 Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-08-16 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: Geoffrey Noer

We just imported bash 2.01 into our local sources so it will be included
in beta 19.  I haven't seen any problems with it yet and having working
job control is great.

I've appended the beginnings of the history doc with changes since b18.
It isn't all there yet, but for those of you who are curious...  Also
my current best guess is that beta 19 will be out in September.

A fair amount of work is being done on the Win32 side of things right now
(converting gcc to default to not linking in the cygwin.dll, handling
.exe extensions better during the build process, etc...).  So beta 19
will happen as soon as everything settles down a little.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

--------------------------------------

@item Release Beta 19 (Probably September 1997)

This is a major release.  The new cygwin.dll is still
backwards-compatible with previously linked applications but
contains significant changes.

The PE format definition now matches Microsoft's more closely.
This should allow better interoperability with other vendors'
development tools.  This change invalidates all previously
built object (.o) and static library (.a) files so be sure to
delete/rebuild old .o and .a files you are using!

@subsection Changes in specific tools:

We have upgraded some of the utilities.  GNU-Win32 now includes
bash 2.01, textutils 1.22, and gawk 3.0.3.  Bash under Cygwin32 now
includes working job control among other improvements.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote a resource compiler called "windres".
It can be used to compile windows resources from a textual rc file
into a COFF file.  The sources for it are part of the binutils
package.

@subsection Changes in the Cygwin32 API (cygwin.dll):

Old symlinks are also invalidated by this release.  The "system"
attribute is now used to mark symlinks which significantly speeds
up fstat and other file related calls.  Either recreate old ones or
set their "system" attribute flag so they will be recognized properly.

The following is now supported:

* pseudo-ttys

The following calls have been added:

* ptsname, grantpt, unlockpt
* login, logout, ttyslot
* wait3, wait4
* setitimer, getitimer
* cfg(s)eti(o)speed
* initgroups (stub), getgroups
* sexecve, sexecl, sexecle, sexeclp, sexeclpe, sexecv, sexecp, sexecvpe
* pause
* getpgid, killpg
* strlwr, strupr
* ftime
* fpathconf

The bsearch call has been rewritten.
-

* Re: Beta 19 status
@ 1997-07-18  2:40     ` Luke Diamand
From: Luke Diamand @ 1997-07-18  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi!

Tim Iverson writes:
 > I just noticed the gdb GUI comment.  Does this currently work for remote
 > debug sessions over a serial line?  Also, how GUI is it?  Some folks here
 > have become quite spoiled by the nice GUIs presented by Microsoft's and
 > Boarlund's debuggers -- is it as GUI as those?

Tcp/ip works fine, but the serial line seemed to be broken on Win32
for the target I was using (remote-rdp), although it's ok on linux.

How GUI is it, you ask?

For a first release it's pretty good. It puts up the source code and
higlights the line you're at, you can double-click to set/clear
breakpoints and examine data.

The most irritating feature is that the GUI freezes while waiting for
the target - so you can't interrupt it.

It is not (IMO) as visually appealing as Microsoft's GUI - but as is
ever the case, you do get a grown-up debugger - not the mickey-mouse
thing that Microsoft fob off on us.

Cheers!
Luke Diamand

--
Advanced Telecommunications Modules Ltd
Cambridge

* Re: Beta 19 status
@ 1997-07-17 17:55   ` Tim Iverson
From: Tim Iverson @ 1997-07-17 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer; +Cc: gnu-win32, Fred Shu

I just noticed the gdb GUI comment.  Does this currently work for remote
debug sessions over a serial line?  Also, how GUI is it?  Some folks here
have become quite spoiled by the nice GUIs presented by Microsoft's and
Boarlund's debuggers -- is it as GUI as those?

Thanks,

- Tim

\f
+----------------
| From: Geoffrey Noer <noer@cygnus.com>
| Subject: Beta 19 status
| To: khan@xraylith.wisc.edu (Mumit Khan)
| Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
| Cc: cgf@bbc.com, gnu-win32@cygnus.com, noer@cygnus.com
|
| I'm especially time constrainted right now so the beta 19 release will be
| may be several weeks until it's ready for release.  There are quite a few
| * gdb GUI fixes
| Geoffrey Noer
| noer@cygnus.com
-

* Beta 19 status
@ 1997-07-15 20:17 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-07-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cgf, gnu-win32, noer

> Any comment from the Cygnus folks? Any chance of a alpha snapshot?

I'm especially time contrainted right now so the beta 19 release will be
the next thing to be done on my end.  I am working on it as I write but it
may be several weeks until it's ready for release.  There are quite a few
mods to test, both inside winsup and out:

* new winsup pty support
* much better signals/exceptions support
* lots and lots of misc. winsup fixes although I'm sure plenty of bugs
	remain
* PE format change -- better compatibility with MS compiler/linker
* better g++ template support (g++ had some problems in beta 18)
* new resource compiler
* switch to bfd-based assembler
* dlltool fixes
* gdb GUI fixes

The timeframe depends mostly on how time consuming the other stuff I'm
doing for Cygnus ends up being and how many problems I run into during
testing.  My current plan is to have it done by mid-August or earlier but
that may slip.  I may well make an alpha snapshot first but this won't be
until shortly before the release.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com