* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-30  5:02 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-30  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>From: marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:09:17 -0600
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
>

>Hi..
>
>>The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a
>>mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the
win32
>>environment.
>
>But for what reason?  If you can't use these things with the rest of
the
>NT world, then what is the point?  Why not just run them in the Unix
world
>where they are happier anyhow?
>
>>Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be
>>compatible to both worlds (which it does, nicely).  The problem isn't
>>cygwin32 it is the lack of tools ported without modification for
binary
>>versus text that is the problem.  Therefore remaining in the binary
>>format is not an alternative it becomes necessary.
>
>Yes, well, if the requirements are that you must run some Unix programs
on
>NT without modification, then using cygwin32 and binary mounts may be
the
>solution.  However, I believe that the problem may need to be
reconsidered
>because without the additional requirement of interoperability with the
NT
>world, why require that it run on NT in the first place?  Just for the
>fun of it?
>
>marcus hall
>-

Well, if one can have the best of both worlds in one environment, why
not?

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-30  7:14 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-09-30  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcus, gnu-win32

At 08:09 AM 9/29/97 -0600, marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com wrote:
>However, I think that it is important that the aim of the project be set
>at some point so that people know where things are heading.  Currently, it
>looks to me that cygwin is trying to create its own isolated pocket of Unix
>like behaviour on top of a win32 environment.  Now this is fine for the
>intelectual challenge and all, but is this of any real use otherwise?  It
>seems to me that if you want a Unix environment and don't care about
>interacting with the rest of the NT/W95 environment, then why not just run
>Linux and get a real Unix environment that will run faster and have less
>compatibility problems?  If you are running NT/W95, you must be doing this
>for some reason, right?  Probably that there are things that run in this
>environment that are important as well as the Unix programs ported to the
>cygwin world.  If they are both important, shouldn't they be able to
>communicate with each other?

<snip>

>But for what reason?  If you can't use these things with the rest of the
>NT world, then what is the point?  Why not just run them in the Unix world
>where they are happier anyhow?

<snip>

>Yes, well, if the requirements are that you must run some Unix programs on
>NT without modification, then using cygwin32 and binary mounts may be the
>solution.  However, I believe that the problem may need to be reconsidered
>because without the additional requirement of interoperability with the NT
>world, why require that it run on NT in the first place?  Just for the
>fun of it?

Marcus,

I think allot of this has already been covered by others but let me just
say that I think you are arguing from a general standpoint while I and others
are thinking more of specifics.  We have found it useful to work in this
environment on NT.  We have been able to work around any "incompatibilities".
To be honest, your main concern seems to be the "incompatibility" of text vs
binary files.  Speaking from experience, I have not found many places where
working with binary files in a Windows environment has caused problems.  In
the few places that I have noticed this difficulty (most notably the limited
parsing capability of the MSDEV class wizard), it is easily handled by
converting the file to text on demand.  Its really not much of a problem in
this direction.  Trying to work in Windows and gnu-win32 with only text files
is much worse!  As far as the argument about "why not just work in linux?",
it seems to me the answer is obvious.

This whole argument seems somewhat repetitive and rehashed (perhaps
I've been on this list too long!;-))  Perhaps its best if any further
discussion on this subject be taken off-line.  I'm not sure there is any
additional value to discussing well-understood desires and needs on this
list at this time....

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29 18:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:58:13 -0400
>To: marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com, gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>From: Larry Hall <lhall@rfk.com>
>Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files

>>> A. We are not porting to NT, we are porting to the cygwin32 API
>>> B. Most Un*x tools expect Binary IO, mounting without -b will break
many
>configure scripts
>>
>>I have to agree with the original poster on this.  What good is the
cygwin32
>>API on NT if it is not compatible with the rest of NT?  If you are
going to
>>only use programs running in the cygwin32 world, then why not just run
Linux
>>instead and get better performance and better compatibility?  If
you're
>>running NT, it seems that you likely need it to run some other things
that
>>only run on NT, so if cygwin32 is to be useful, it should also be able
>>deal with files produced by or intended for these other programs.
>>
>>Sure, it may be a royal pain to have to deal with the compatibility
problems,
>>and that's probably where a lot of the ugliness of NT comes from, but
I think
>>that that's the reality of the NT world.  If you don't want to be
compatible
>>with the rest of the NT world, why try to run on NT in the first
place?

>>marcus hall
>
>(I swore I was going to stay out of this!)
>
>Marcus,
>
>I don't think anyone will argue that having at least an option to get
full
>Windows platform compatibility is a desirable thing.  However, your
>implication that cygwin32 (or gnu-win32) is not useful without this
option
>is a bit too broad.  For the general reason that cygwin32 allows
>traditionally UNIX based programs to be ported quickly and easily to
Windows
>platforms, cygwin32 is useful to many people in many areas.  Tossing
this
>fact aside is close to insulting to all who create and work on cygwin32
and
>those who have and are currently using it.  If Windows compatibility is
>what you need from a development environment, I suggest you use for now
>ming32 or other commercial environments.  While I'm sure there will be
>something in cygwin32 in the future that will address your desire, Rome
>wasn't built in a day.  And since there are other environments out
there
>that would address the concern you have, I personally think the initial
>goal Cygnus targeted with this environment is the correct one, at least
in
>regards to the market which desires to quickly and easily port software
from
>UNIX to Windows.  I think they have done allot to achieve that.  As
always,
>there is more to do.  However, while it may be useful to state
particular
>desires for enhancements and such, claiming that what is there now is
not
>useful is overstating it.  Opening up yet another debate about what
makes a
>useful environment for Windows is not relevant.  There are many out
there.
>If this one doesn't serve your purpose at the moment, try a different
one
>or make your own.
>
>Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
>RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
>8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
>Wellesley, MA  02181
>
>-

Bravo!

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29 18:33 ` justin.
From: justin. @ 1997-09-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcus; +Cc: gnu-win32

marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com wrote:

> Hi..
>
> >The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a
> >mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the win32
> >environment.
>
> But for what reason?  If you can't use these things with the rest of the
> NT world, then what is the point?  Why not just run them in the Unix world
> where they are happier anyhow?

So you can run your NT programs comfortably and some Unix programs and not
have to entirely switch operating systems which would be more productivity
lost than you would gain by switching to a Unix flavored OS.  Everything
doesnt have to be one sided. I dont agree with your little mindframe.

> >Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be
> >compatible to both worlds (which it does, nicely).  The problem isn't
> >cygwin32 it is the lack of tools ported without modification for binary
> >versus text that is the problem.  Therefore remaining in the binary
> >format is not an alternative it becomes necessary.
>
> Yes, well, if the requirements are that you must run some Unix programs on
> NT without modification, then using cygwin32 and binary mounts may be the
> solution.  However, I believe that the problem may need to be reconsidered
> because without the additional requirement of interoperability with the NT
> world, why require that it run on NT in the first place?  Just for the
> fun of it?

So you can have more power under a single OS without having to sacrafice time
and money.
Are you telling me, when i want to write a spreadsheet, i boot to nt, and when
i want to use something unix, switch there, and juggle that forever?

-

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29 18:31 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com () wrote:

> It seems that the thing that causes the most problems communicating
> with each other is the wholesale mounting of filesystems in binary
> mode.  This cures some big problems in the Unix view of processes in
> the cygwin world, but makes it totally impossible to share text files
> between the cygwin world and the rest of the NT/W95 world.

Eh? All my mounts are binary and it causes me virtually no problems at
all. My (Windows) text editor both understands and can be persuaded to
create LF-terminated files, VC++ is happy with them, in fact most apps are
(Delphi being the only notable exception here).

Where's the problem?

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"Is a polar bear a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform?"
-

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29 13:04 ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1997-09-29 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcus, gnu-win32

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:09:17 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi..
>
>>The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a
>>mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the win32
>>environment.
>
>But for what reason?  If you can't use these things with the rest of the
>NT world, then what is the point?  Why not just run them in the Unix world

You can use anything with anything, you just have to figure out how. ;^)

>where they are happier anyhow?
>
>>Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be
>>compatible to both worlds (which it does, nicely).  The problem isn't
>>cygwin32 it is the lack of tools ported without modification for binary
>>versus text that is the problem.  Therefore remaining in the binary
>>format is not an alternative it becomes necessary.
>
>Yes, well, if the requirements are that you must run some Unix programs on
>NT without modification, then using cygwin32 and binary mounts may be the
>solution.  However, I believe that the problem may need to be reconsidered
>because without the additional requirement of interoperability with the NT
>world, why require that it run on NT in the first place?  Just for the
>fun of it?

Because many many many people don't like
cmd.exe/command.com, and vc++/developer stupiDo, and the
entire MS philosophy, they want tools that
operate the way they are accustomed to,
the way those tools operate under unix.

But many many many bosses don't like
having employees use linux/freeBSD/
pick your favorite un*x clone on their work computers,
the cygwin32 environment is a compromise
solution for people who must develop
FOR win32, but want to develop UNDER
unix.

Say linux at home, and cygwin32 at work?
or linux for large compiles, cygwin32 for testing?

I would think a Solaris/win32 developer
as you mentioned in another post you were
would appreciate this arrangement.

You can use your shell scripts and makefiles
unmodified either way.

Being a compromise, it is not going to
be perfect for everyone, if you don't like
it, don't use it, but don't criticize it for not
being what you want, when it never
told you it was going to be in the first place.

It is also still a work in progress,
and the progress is going to be in the
direction that cygnus's PAYING
customers ask for, do you have a
software or support contract with
Cygnus? Neither do I.

>marcus hall
>-

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey
-

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29  7:41 marcus
From: marcus @ 1997-09-29  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, lhall

My question:
>I have to agree with the original poster on this.  What good is the cygwin32
>API on NT if it is not compatible with the rest of NT?  If you are going to
>only use programs running in the cygwin32 world, then why not just run Linux
>instead and get better performance and better compatibility?  If you're
>running NT, it seems that you likely need it to run some other things that
>only run on NT, so if cygwin32 is to be useful, it should also be able to
>deal with files produced by or intended for these other programs.

Larry Hall's response:

}I don't think anyone will argue that having at least an option to get full
}Windows platform compatibility is a desirable thing.  However, your
}implication that cygwin32 (or gnu-win32) is not useful without this option
}is a bit too broad.  For the general reason that cygwin32 allows
}traditionally UNIX based programs to be ported quickly and easily to Windows
}platforms, cygwin32 is useful to many people in many areas.  Tossing this
}fact aside is close to insulting to all who create and work on cygwin32 and
}those who have and are currently using it.

I am sorry if I have given this impression to anybody.  I believe that the
cygwin development is very good and fully support it (in principal, and in
bug fixes).

[...]

world and the rest of the NT/W95 world.  This is what is causing the
greatest separation of the two worlds that I see.  It's certainly not an
easy problem to solve, but I think that the wholesale "just mount everything
as binary" probably isn't really the right solution.

}  If Windows compatibility is
}what you need from a development environment, I suggest you use for now
}ming32 or other commercial environments.

In fact, this is pretty much what I am doing, but I am actually interested
in cross compiling from a Solaris machine for an NT target.

}... If this one doesn't serve your purpose at the moment, try a different
}one or make your own.

As a basically ming32 type user, it may be totally out of place of me to
comment on the cygwin environment's development direction.  I was echoing
another user's statement that things would be more useful if they conformed
to the NT/W95 environment's standards for what a text file looks like.
Otherwise, it seems to me that you get a Unix world on an NT/W95 box that
can't talk to anything else on the NT/W95 box.  Maybe things aren't really
that isolated, though.  If all of the cygwin mount points are binary, what
useful interaction is there between cygwin and NT/W95?  If there is none,
what advantage is there in running cygwin on NT/W95 over running Linux?
If there isn't some good answer to these questions, then I think that it
is important to try to make cygwin work with non-binary mount points so that
it will be more generally useful.

marcus hall

-

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-29  7:09 marcus
From: marcus @ 1997-09-29  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-27 10:03 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-09-27 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcus, gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-26 11:34 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-26 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, marcus

>From: marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:41:22 -0600
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
>
>> >It seems to me that if one wants to port software into the NT
environment
>> >then one has no choice but to run the normal way NT programs do
(without

>> A. We are not porting to NT, we are porting to the cygwin32 API
>> B. Most Un*x tools expect Binary IO, mounting without -b will break
many configure scripts

>I have to agree with the original poster on this.  What good is the
cygwin32
>API on NT if it is not compatible with the rest of NT?  If you are
going to
>only use programs running in the cygwin32 world, then why not just run
Linux
>instead and get better performance and better compatibility?  If you're
>running NT, it seems that you likely need it to run some other things
that
>only run on NT, so if cygwin32 is to be useful, it should also be able
>deal with files produced by or intended for these other programs.
>
>Sure, it may be a royal pain to have to deal with the compatibility
problems,
>and that's probably where a lot of the ugliness of NT comes from, but I
think
>that that's the reality of the NT world.  If you don't want to be
compatible
>with the rest of the NT world, why try to run on NT in the first place?
>
>marcus hall
>-

Marcus

The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a
mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the win32
environment.  Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be

@ 1997-09-26  8:42 marcus
From: marcus @ 1997-09-26  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-25  6:23 ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1997-09-25  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Thu, 25 Sep 97 17:37:37 est, you wrote:

>I want to add my comments to the above thread:
>
>>Questions: How do I do these in the GNU-Win32 world? How do I:
>>    * set the analog of MSVC++5.0's _fmode
>>    * call the analog of MSVC++5.0's int _setmode(int handle, int mode)
>
>Some time back I posted a request with the same questions under "text&binary
>modes" and had no replies.
>
>It seems to me that if one wants to port software into the NT environment
>then one has no choice but to run the normal way NT programs do (without

A. We are not porting to NT, we are porting to the cygwin32 API
B. Most Un*x tools expect Binary IO, mounting without -b will break many configure scripts

>the -b mount flag) otherwise your text files will confuse NT programs.
>The binary mount is pretty useless: why would one want to run in your
>own UNIX world on top of NT when the performance was so poor?

C. Posix compliance has not yet been completed, so of course performance hasn't been optimized
     1st things 1st.

>So the only real use for software like gnuwin32 is to move stuff over -
>and then one is left with "When in Rome...."
>If M$ need _setmode() the gnuwin32 does too otherwise there are things that
>you just can't do - mainly fixing stdin/stdout/stderr and pipes because
>you were given them in the wrong mode.
>
>Have I got this wrong???

D. Yes

@ 1997-09-25  1:22 Eric Mills
From: Eric Mills @ 1997-09-25  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-22 10:29 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ead, gnu-win32, lhall; +Cc: joe

>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:03:56 -0400
>To: Eric De Mund <ead@ixian.com>, GNU-Win32 List <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>From: Larry Hall <lhall@rfk.com>
>Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
>Cc: Joe Peterson <joe@jump.com>
>
>At 01:30 AM 9/22/97 -0700, Eric De Mund wrote:
>>GNU-Win32 People,
>>
>>    Joe Peterson <joe@jump.com> to <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>:
>>    ] Sorry if this is documented somewhere, but I could not find
>>    ] mention of it. I find that when, for example, using "od" to look
>>    ] at a binary file, if a ctrl-Z is encountered, the reading stops.
>>    ] This is because the fopen presumably does a "r" rather than a
"rb"
>>    ] (a pc-ism).
>>    ]
>>    ] Other programs like "cat" and possibly others have this problem
as
>>    ] well...
>>
>>GNU-Win32 cat(1) does have this problem, as does md5sum(1), rendering
>>them significantly less useful. It's the understanding of this Unix
>>developer new to the Windows world that the equivalent of Microsoft's
>>Visual C++ 5.0 Run-Time Library function _setmode(3) is required
(global
>>variable _fmode in that development world setting the default file-
>>translation mode of all files *except* stdin, stdout, and stderr).
>>
>>Questions: How do I do these in the GNU-Win32 world? How do I:
>>    * set the analog of MSVC++5.0's _fmode
>>    * call the analog of MSVC++5.0's int _setmode(int handle, int
mode)

>>Thank you,
>>Eric De Mund
>>
>>"Magazines all too frequently lead to books and should be regarded by
the
>>prudent as the heavy petting of literature." --Fran Lebowitz
>
>Eric,
>
>You're half right in your understanding.  The problem is due to "text"
>files in Windows and the need to open files in binary mode in order to
>"get things right".  You have 2 choices:
>
>  - Recompile offending code, either setting the mode or changing all
>    file open commands to use the "b" (for binary) flag.
>
>  - mount (via the mount command) your filesystems as binary (-b) so
that
>    all files are automatically treated as binary just like in UNIX.
This
>    step is usually the easiest and best in the long run but also tends
>    to cause short term headaches since all the "text" files that you
>    currently have will be filled with <cr>s which bash and other
things
>    will barf on.  Reinstalling the system using cygwin tar/gzip or
>    translating all your system files (at least) usually handles the
>    problems.
>
>Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
>RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
>8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
>Wellesley, MA  02181
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Eric,

I chose the second option.  Check the mail archives for further info.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-22  8:15 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-09-22  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric De Mund, GNU-Win32 List; +Cc: Joe Peterson

@ 1997-09-22  1:30 Eric De Mund
From: Eric De Mund @ 1997-09-22  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU-Win32 List; +Cc: Joe Peterson

--
Eric De Mund <ead@ixian.com>  |  PGP Key Fingerprint:
http://www.ixian.com/ead/     |  5349b223 af6c2081 eddd4c81 aac9d1a5

* Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
@ 1997-09-08 14:23 Joe Peterson