* Re: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a
@ 1997-10-13  5:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-10-13  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vischne; +Cc: gnu-win32

How is your filesystems mounted?  If they are mounted text!=binary then
you will have a \r (^M) prepended to any \n.  If they are mounted
text=binary, then someone else will have to give you an answer.

To mount / as text=binary:
1) cd to the bin directory
2) umount /
3) mount -b c:\\ /

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

@ 1997-10-13 14:33 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-13 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I've seen a few threads so far on this list about the default mode for
opening pipes, and the arguments for and against each way.  Along those
lines, I've noticed that FreeBSD has a nice little interface to some of
the system configuration stuff sysctl({3|8}), sysctl(8) being a wrapper
of sorts. This got me to thinking, something like this could be really
useful for enabling or disabling certian debugging stuff.  I know that the
mount table is stored in the registry already, what about something like
this?  For instance, one could say type sysctl -c debug.sigchld=1, and it
would effect everything globally, and it would provide a more uniform way
to check various options. Thoughts?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Larry Hall wrote:

> Actually, regardless of how the file systems are mounted, if you are using
> the bash that came with the original b18, stdin, stdout, stderr, and pipes
> will be opened in text mode.  The later version of bash (2.0.1) compiled by
> Sergey does NOT set all these to text mode and therefore you won't get
> carriage returns appended.  I am uncertain whether mounting file systems as
> binary using the original version of bash would remove the carriage returns
> from stdin, stdout, and stderr (probably not) but the problem would persist
> for pipes.  See Sergey's patches for the new bash (and patched cygwin DLL) -
> http://www.lexa.ru/sos .

- alex

-

* Re: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a
@ 1997-10-13 10:28 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-10-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: gnu-win32

Well, I'm using bash 2.0.1 that I compiled from source with the original
cygwin library.  I can't use Sergey's version because of the amount of
disk space used to store extended attributes on my FAT, the "EA DATA.
SF" file.  There was little problem with the make of bash 2.0.1, I
remember I had to define _POSIX_SOURCE and I had to modify sig.c to not
use SIGPROF if it wasn't defined.  I've not had any problems with \r
prepended to \n if the systems are mounted as text=binary and I use one
directory I've called "text" a mounted as text!=binary to output/convert
files I need to print on a shared printer that expects the \r to be
there.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

@ 1997-10-13  9:19 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-10-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, vischne; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-10-12 10:20 Victor Schneider
From: Victor Schneider @ 1997-10-12 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

There's a curious problem with porting the jpeg-6 and jpeg-6a libraries to
cygwin32:  They compile with no problem, and running `make test' confirms
that they work, but the `cjpeg' and `djpeg' utilities appear to have
problems (a) creating files and (b) using the input and output redirection
operators (`<' and `>').

When you generate a .gif file from a .jpg file using djpeg, you get
`spurious symbol' error messages from lview31.exe on the resulting .gif
file.  I think that results from some problem using `>' to generate the
resulting .gif file.  I get the impression that cygwin32 uses the Dos '>'
operator and gets junk added in to the redirection process.  Either that, or
bash.exe is doing something.

Using the `-outputfile' option in djpeg yields an output file of zero
length.  Since this all works under other operating systems like Linux, I