* Newbie Compilation Question
@ 1997-10-31 17:59 GBradfor
From: GBradfor @ 1997-10-31 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

     Yet again I must apologize for the newbie nature of this question, but
     perusing the archives has revealed no answer.

     I am compiling a very simple program for reading keystrokes.
     Specifically, I wish to use GetKeyState().  I have included windows.h
     in my program file, and I have linked with both user32 and glaux (the
     latter of which I believe may be superfluous.).  The reason I have not
     used the -mwindows option is that I am not trying to write a GUI-based
     program, just to get access to GetKeyState.  In any case, I keep
     getting the following two error messages:

     C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cc0010001.o(.text+0x3a):keystate.c: undefined
     reference to GetKeyState@4
     C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cc0010001.0(.text+0x6d):keystate.c: undefined
     reference to GetKeyState@4

     And, naturally, the link fails.  I have checked the libraries using nm
     and have found that user32 and glaux appear to be where GetKeyState@4
     is defined.  Apparently, I'm wrong.

     Any suggestions?

     /s/
     Pat Bradford

     Respond to:
        gbradfor@redstone.army.mil
                AND/OR
        p_n_brad@traveller.com (With the weekend coming up, this one is
                                preferable)
-

* Re: Newbie Compilation Question
@ 1997-11-01  8:53 ` Fernandes, Hilton
From: Fernandes, Hilton @ 1997-11-01  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GBradfor, p_n_brad, gnu-win32; +Cc: Fernandes, Hilton

On 31 Oct 97 at 15:25, GBradfor <GBradfor@fhssmtp.redstone.army.mil> wrote:

>      I am compiling a very simple program for reading keystrokes.
>      Specifically, I wish to use GetKeyState().  I have included windows.h
>      in my program file, and I have linked with both user32 and glaux (the
>      latter of which I believe may be superfluous.).  The reason I have not
>      used the -mwindows option is that I am not trying to write a GUI-based
>      program, just to get access to GetKeyState.  In any case, I keep
>      getting the following two error messages:
>
>      C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cc0010001.o(.text+0x3a):keystate.c: undefined
>      reference to GetKeyState@4
>      C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cc0010001.0(.text+0x6d):keystate.c: undefined
>      reference to GetKeyState@4

Hi!

This is a (non-direct :-) consequence of what was commented in a previous
message in this list: when you link twice to the same library, you sure have
link problems, due to the messing of internal ld tables.

You don't link twice to the same library, but to two different libraries that
have definitions of the same function.

I was able to link and run normally a program that used GetKeyState().  I used
only libuser32.a.  Here are my command lines:
	gcc -c KeyState.c
	gcc    KeyState.o -o KeyState.exe -luser32

Best regards,
++Hilton

P.S.: The message was from Colin Peters <colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp>, its
subject line was "RE: Compiler, and was sent  Thu, 30 Oct 1997.

----
Hilton Fernandes
hfernandes@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-