* Re: X11R6.3 binaries
       [not found] <346A1C58.C709994A@imag.fr>
@ 1997-11-11 13:28 ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1997-11-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egauthie; +Cc: gnu-win32

> I downloaded the patch and everything is now running ok, except for imake=
>  wich
> give the following message :
>
> imake :no such file or directory
> imake : cannot exec /lib/cpp
> stop

Sorry, I forgot to mention this detail. You need to create a /lib directory if
don't already have one, and copy the cpp.exe that comes with gnuwin32 to this
directory. I am not in front of a win32 machine right now, so I cannot give
you the exact path of this file. However, you can find this out easily; from
the DOS prompt:

cd \
dir cpp.exe /s

or from bash:

find / -name cpp.exe -print

  Good Luck,

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@alum.mit.edu

-

* Re: X11R6.3 binaries
@ 1997-11-13 20:53   ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1997-11-13 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: vischne, gnu-win32

Alex,

> > All this talk about X11R6.3.  I think it's really impressive, but there is
> > one loose thread:  In Linux and other Unix flavors, you have a local
> > loopback so that the X-server doesn't have to use the network to start up.
> > It would make an enormous difference on useability of the X libraries if
> > some localhost hack were built into the system.
>
> Perhaps I missed something, but doesn't 127.0.0.1 work as a loopback
> device (it seems to for me, but I haven't tried X)?

   Yes, it does; you can also get the same effect by setting
DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

   The problem is, not every X server will work smoothly if you don't have an
active network connection. For example, X-Win32 from Starnet will take forever
to start if you have a dial-up network with DNS enabled, when your PPP
connection is not up.  I run into similar problems with other pricy X servers;
you can generally get things to work with localhost but you usually need to
tinker with obscure settings.  The MI/X may be flaky on other accounts (it
cannot properly handle the Athena Widgets), but at least it works fine with
local clients using vanilla xlib calls.

   Wouldn't it be lovely to have the sources for a working win32 X server?

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@alum.mit.edu

-

* Re: X11R6.3 binaries
@ 1997-11-13 15:23 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-11-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vischne; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 vischne@ibm.net wrote:

> All this talk about X11R6.3.  I think it's really impressive, but there is
> one loose thread:  In Linux and other Unix flavors, you have a local
> loopback so that the X-server doesn't have to use the network to start up.
> It would make an enormous difference on useability of the X libraries if
> some localhost hack were built into the system.

Perhaps I missed something, but doesn't 127.0.0.1 work as a loopback
device (it seems to for me, but I haven't tried X)?

- alex

-

* Re: X11R6.3 binaries
@ 1997-11-13 10:05 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-11-13 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi vischne,

>All this talk about X11R6.3.  I think it's really impressive, but there is
>one loose thread:  In Linux and other Unix flavors, you have a local
>loopback so that the X-server doesn't have to use the network to start up.
>It would make an enormous difference on useability of the X libraries if
>some localhost hack were built into the system.

If you are talking about NT - there is one. Just install the "MS loopback
adapter" as your network card.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: X11R6.3 binaries
@ 1997-11-12  5:48 vischne
From: vischne @ 1997-11-12  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-11-06 17:12 ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1997-11-06 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Gauthier; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi,

> i'd like to know if X11R6.3 binaries are available on ftp for beta 18.
> I tried the on on niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32 but it didn't work and
> I  herad it's only working with b17.1.

   Not really, I have been using it quite a lot with b18. The problem is, it
will not run with the standard cygwin.dll that comes with cdk.exe. You need to
install Sergey's patch. Please consult the main README file, and in
particular, the README file in sub-directory b18-patch/.

  Let me know if you get stuck.

    Good Luck,

	Arlindo.

--