* Re: newbie wants vi
@ 1997-12-12  6:06 Periat Henri
From: Periat Henri @ 1997-12-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rickmoll; +Cc: gnu-win32

> From rickmoll@mvp.net Fri Dec 12 10:58:35 1997
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:49:37 -0600
> From: Rick Moll <rickmoll@mvp.net>
> To: gnu-win32 <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
> Cc: Rick Moll <rickmoll@mvp.net>
> Subject: newbie wants vi
>
> Sorry for the newbie question, but I've just got the gnu-win32 tools
> installed and I was disappointed that there wasn't any kind of editor.
> I'm totally new to all of this, gnu-win32, my WinNT system, and GNU in
> general.
>
> I'm completely lost without a vi; what's the easiest way to get one to
> use with the gnu-win32 tools.  I understand that there is a "vim".  Is
> this a vi workalike?  If so where's the easiest place to get it, and
> will it easily port to the gnu-win32 environment?
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Rick
>
> -

Hi Rick

I have something even better then 'vi' 'vim'.

You can get binaries here:  http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott/vim/

If you don't know 'vim' yet: It's a improved 'vi' with syntax highliting,
GUI and other goodis.
The basic is the same as for 'vi'!

Cheers
Henri
-

* Re: newbie wants vi
@ 1997-12-12 18:22 ` Micheal A. Benzinger
From: Micheal A. Benzinger @ 1997-12-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moll, gnu-win32; +Cc: Rick Moll

Rick,

You can get a beta version of VIM that compiles right out of the box
on GNU-Win32 and it has color syntax highlighting.  Here's the URL:

	ftp://ftp.oce.nl/pub/misc/vim/beta-test/unix/vim-5.0s.tar.gz

If you do download and compile it, do the following before installing:

	export SUFFIX=.exe

Mike Benzinger

At 05:49 PM 12/11/97 -0600, Rick Moll wrote:
>Sorry for the newbie question, but I've just got the gnu-win32 tools
>installed and I was disappointed that there wasn't any kind of editor.
>I'm totally new to all of this, gnu-win32, my WinNT system, and GNU in
>general.
>
>I'm completely lost without a vi; what's the easiest way to get one to
>use with the gnu-win32 tools.  I understand that there is a "vim".  Is
>this a vi workalike?  If so where's the easiest place to get it, and
>will it easily port to the gnu-win32 environment?
>
>Thanks,
>
>    Rick
>
>-

-

* Re: newbie wants vi
@ 1997-12-11 23:41 ` $Bill Luebkert
From: $Bill Luebkert @ 1997-12-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moll; +Cc: gnu-win32

Rick Moll wrote:

> Sorry for the newbie question, but I've just got the gnu-win32 tools
> installed and I was disappointed that there wasn't any kind of editor.
> I'm totally new to all of this, gnu-win32, my WinNT system, and GNU in
> general.
>
> I'm completely lost without a vi; what's the easiest way to get one to
> use with the gnu-win32 tools.  I understand that there is a "vim".  Is
> this a vi workalike?  If so where's the easiest place to get it, and
> will it easily port to the gnu-win32 environment?

Try one of these:

http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/vim.html             # win32
ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/local/gvr/vim/            # Win32

http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf/cygvim50h.bin.tar.gz    # VIM 5.0h binary for cygwin32

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles

* newbie wants vi
@ 1997-12-11 16:18 Rick Moll