* Re: Not quite perfect Unix compatibility (bug report)
@ 1998-01-10 11:47 vischne
From: vischne @ 1998-01-10 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>   vischne@ibm.net
>   Fri, 9 Jan 1998 23:24:20 GMT
>This bug report originated in a hack:
>
>I moved linux-2.1.xxx.tar.gz to my Windows partition, ran `tar xzvf' on
>it, and attempted to configure the Linux kernel under cygwin.
>
>BTW, I know cygnus isn't in the Linux business, but it might just be
>possible to compile a working zImage under cygwin, with few or no
>changes in the cygwin system.  After all, the kernel doesn't use
>cygwin.dll to run.

In fact, it might also be possible to compile a working linux.dll and
link programs to that under Windows 95/NT.

-

* RE: Not quite perfect Unix compatibility (bug report)
@ 1998-01-11  1:16 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1998-01-11  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'vischne@ibm.net'

vischne@ibm.net wrote:
> In fact, it might also be possible to compile a working linux.dll and
> link programs to that under Windows 95/NT.

Original linux kernel must run on IPL 0 and have direct access to all
hardware resources. The more interesting task is to grab mk-linux sources
from www.apple.com (it runs on top Mach microkernel) and modify it to run
on top win32 api :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Not quite perfect Unix compatibility (bug report)
@ 1998-01-09 18:22 vischne
From: vischne @ 1998-01-09 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

This bug report originated in a hack:

I moved linux-2.1.xxx.tar.gz to my Windows partition, ran `tar xzvf' on
it, and attempted to configure the Linux kernel under cygwin.

Typing
	bash$ make menuconfig
only works at the bash$ prompt, and then only if you have ncurses, which
I don't.  It gives some kind of a binary file error message if you do
	DOS> make -f Makefile menuconfig

Typing
	bash$ make config
starts up the configuration process, but here is the bug.  The first
question in the configure script has a `[Y/N/?]' prompt, and typing
`N', `Y', or `?' all gives the same response, which isn't supposed
to happen, and which doesn't let you complete the shell script.