* builtin shell commands in a Makefile
@ 1998-01-09  1:48 Thierry Parmentelat
From: Thierry Parmentelat @ 1998-01-09  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I am pretty new to this project, so please apologize
if this question was already answered to. Apparently it was not,
but I may have missed it in the mail archives.

First of all, I would like to thank all the contributors of this
package, that sounds just great to me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX environment
I am using a dual-boot PC (win95 and winnt-4.0 WorkStation).

I created a shared partition on a samba box, say \\samba\nt95\
In this zone I installed
	*) usertools-b18
	*) make-3.76 compiled from the prep.ai.mit.edu distribution
	   with VC++

I also checked that
	*) c:/tmp exists and is 777 (although ls -l shows 755)
	*) c:/bin/sh.exe is a copy of your bash distribution
	*) . appears in my PATH, as well as \\samba\nt95\bin

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX problem
Most of the Makefiles that I wrote (under Unix, modulo a few variable
definitions) work quite alright under windows, too.

I run into problems when I try to run shell buitlin commands through make.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX symptom

Here is a sample Makefile
debug1:
	cat /tmp/a
debug2:
	if [ -f /tmp/a ]; then echo FOUND /tmp/a; else echo /tmp/a not found; fi

----------
I created an empty /tmp/a file, and under Windows95, I get:

bash$ make debug1
cat /tmp/a

This is fine, but
bash$ make debug2
if [ -f /tmp/a ]; then echo FOUND /tmp/a; else echo /tmp/a not found; fi
Erreur de syntaxe

If I run the same command directly under sh, it works OK
bash $ if [ -f /tmp/a ]; then echo FOUND /tmp/a; else echo /tmp/a not found; fi
FOUND /tmp/a

----------
I get the same symptom under NT, except the error message goes like this
-f était inattendu (in english, -f was unexpected)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX questions
*) Is there any obvious thing I did wrong within this environment ?

*) Or is there anything wrong in my environment ?
   For instance, should I use another make ?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks to anybody who would care to give me any hint in this matter.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX epilogue
By the way, I also have trouble when I want to insert special characters
under bash. I have a french keyboard. For instance, [ is obtained by
AltGr-5 under MS-dos command.com. Under bash, this sequence does not work,
and the only trick I found is to quote with a Ctrl-V (I use tcsh under Unix)
prior to the keystroke, and then I have to delete an Escape (^[)...
All this is quite tedious, is there any better trick ?

thanks again

-

* Re: builtin shell commands in a Makefile
@ 1998-01-09  3:34 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1998-01-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, at a guess, try including

	SHELL=/bin/sh.exe

in your Makefile.

> I created a shared partition on a samba box, say \\samba\nt95\
> In this zone I installed
> 	*) usertools-b18
> 	*) make-3.76 compiled from the prep.ai.mit.edu distribution
> 	   with VC++

Why?  Why not use the make in gnu-win32 b18?

If for some reason you do need make-3.76, you might get better results
if you compile it with gnu-win32 rather than VC++.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"

* Re: builtin shell commands in a Makefile --  cygwin32 vs regular GNU
@ 1998-01-09  4:11   ` Thierry Parmentelat
From: Thierry Parmentelat @ 1998-01-09  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message < 19980109223353.19263@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU >, Fergus Henderson writes:
>Well, at a guess, try including
>
>	SHELL=/bin/sh.exe
>
>in your Makefile.

thanks for the hint, but unfortunately it did not help

>> I created a shared partition on a samba box, say \\samba\nt95\
>> In this zone I installed
>> 	*) usertools-b18
>> 	*) make-3.76 compiled from the prep.ai.mit.edu distribution
>> 	   with VC++
>
>Why?  Why not use the make in gnu-win32 b18?
>
>If for some reason you do need make-3.76, you might get better results
>if you compile it with gnu-win32 rather than VC++.

The first reason for this is that cdk, including gcc and whatnot,
is probably great. But my code has to work with vc++. If it works
with gcc too, well, just great. But my managers want it to be
compiled, and shipped, with vc++. In fact we develop on Unix,
and just port on Windows.
So what we need is actually very basic:
*) make (preferably the same version as the one used on unix),
*) and a c++ compiler suite, here vc++.
and that's it.

The second reason is that within this context the full cdk seemed a bit,
er, huge, to download with my poor regular phone connection.
Furthermore I like to use the same version of a given tool on all
platforms, (I work on 5 flavors of unix, besides the new Windows port
currently under progress).
And I did not know what version of make was shipped with the cygwin32 cdk
distribution. So I chose the most recent one, and was happy to see it
was compilable on the pc platform in a somewhat natural way.

This raises a wider matter: what is the policy of cygwin32, in terms
of convergence/divergence with the initial GNU tools ?
I mean, will the patches made by the cygwin32 team on a given gnu tool,
be incorporated in the standard (MIT) distribution one day ?

I understand it is more convenient for cygnus to handle a complete
set of tools, but for guys like me who need only a (potentially very)
small part of the whole rot, it would be great if we could pick it
on its own somewhere.

The cygwin32 usertools distribution turns out to be
*very* helpful anyway.
I just mention all this with the hope it will help you
understanding *one* ``user'' point of view.

	  Thierry Parmentelat, Ixi, Espace Beethoven,
               Route des Lucioles, 06560 Valbonne
         Tél. (33) 493 653 024 -- Fax. (33) 493 652 673

* Re: builtin shell commands in a Makefile --  cygwin32 vs regular GNU
@ 1998-01-14  0:15     ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-01-14  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Parmentelat; +Cc: fjh, thierry.parmentelat, gnu-win32

Thierry Parmentelat wrote:
[...]
> This raises a wider matter: what is the policy of cygwin32, in terms
> of convergence/divergence with the initial GNU tools ?
> I mean, will the patches made by the cygwin32 team on a given gnu tool,
> be incorporated in the standard (MIT) distribution one day ?
>
> I understand it is more convenient for cygnus to handle a complete
> set of tools, but for guys like me who need only a (potentially very)
> small part of the whole rot, it would be great if we could pick it
> on its own somewhere.

Divergence should be avoided whenever possible.  At this point there is a
set of patches to many of the tools for Cygwin32 as most of you know.
We are (or will be) working with the maintainers of the various tools
to integrate Cygwin32 support.  The next release of bash will come with
Cygwin32 support for example.  It may be some time before all packages
are dealt with though...

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com