* Fw: lcc-win32 vs. mingw32/gnuwin32
@ 1998-01-17  0:28 Joshua Little
From: Joshua Little @ 1998-01-17  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro A. Aranda Gutiirrez <paag@tid.es>
To: Joshua J Little <ulittj00@mcl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Monday, December 15, 1997 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: lcc-win32 vs. mingw32/gnuwin32

>Hi,
>
>I've taken all the weekend to go through pro's and con's of both
>solutions and here are my thoughts. I hope they help you
>
>LCC+
>a) LCC is better at Petzold's examples
>b) exceptions are supported on LCC
>c) the headers are somehow more complete on LCC
>
>LCC-
>a) LCC chokes on GNU code quite frequently
>b) Forget about recompiling a whole GNU project
>c) The auxiliary tools are somewhat poor.
>
>GCC+
>a) It doesn't take too much to have LCC's WIN32 headers working with GCC
>
>b) Recompiling GNU utilities is quite easy, even with the MINGW32
>toolchain
>c) You should have more or less everything you already know from your
>workstation
>
>GCC-
>a) Exception support on plain vanilla C code is missing
>b) I'd really love to see GCC understanding #pragma pack(), but there is
>sort of fundamentalism in the GNU community against it
>
>Cheers,
>

>--
>
>     +--------------------------------------------------------+
>     |  ####   Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez                  |
>     |  ####   ATM Networks Division                          |
>     |  ####   Telefonica I+D          C./ Emilio Vargas, 6   |
>     |  ====                           E-28043 Madrid, Spain  |
>     |  ====   mailto:paag@tid.es      Tlf +34-1-337 47 02    |
>     |  ====                           FAX +34-1-337 45 02    |

* where do I start?
@ 1998-01-19  2:17 ` Mike Collins
From: Mike Collins @ 1998-01-19  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I have the gnu compiler and who knows what else installed on my win32
system. My questions are very basic. How do I verify the setup of the
gnu utilities and programs regarding paths and proper installation?
I've successfully compiled one program, however, my chosen directory
for the gnu program install was not the default selection, therefore,
I'd like to confirm that my paths are correct and all components are
working.

As one example, from the command prompt I enter the command bash and
bash starts but it also tells me that I have no /tmp.

For another, and this may be related to perl 5.004, the path for perl
includes c:/whatever but perl is on my d:/drive. Perl does work but
I'd like to adjust the environment. I'm trying to graduate from the
ActiveState port to the standard win32 binary.

How do I access the documentation included with the gnu programs
and what other information exists to help one just getting started?

Thanks.
-