* Passing list of objects to GNU ld...
@ 1998-07-13 21:34 Berend Ozceri
From: Berend Ozceri @ 1998-07-13 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

This is somewhat of a generic GCC question rather than a cygwin32 one, but I
couldn't find anything in the man pages and info docs, so I figured I'd take a
shot anyway...

Is there any way to get GNU ld to read the list of object files to be linked
from a text file containing the names of the object files, one per line?

Thanks,

Berend
-

* Re: Passing list of objects to GNU ld...
@ 1998-07-14 11:50 ` ian
From: ian @ 1998-07-14 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: berend; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Is there any way to get GNU ld to read the list of object files to be linked
>from a text file containing the names of the object files, one per line?

Not as such.  However, writing a file foo.t which contains lines like
    INPUT(foo.o)
    INPUT(bar.o)
and then linking against foo.t ought to work.  In general, if the
linker can not recognize an input file as an object file or archive,
it will attempt to read it as a linker script.

Ian
-

* Re: Passing list of objects to GNU ld...
@ 1998-07-18  6:00   ` Berend Ozceri
From: Berend Ozceri @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: Eric Devolder

Excerpts from gnu-win32: 17-Jul-98 Re: Passing list of objects by Eric Devolder

>The same problem exists in the course of creating the library. If you have
>lots of object files needed to link together for a program, then you may also
>have lots of object files to place in the library.
>
>I for one would like a feature of being able to list the object files in a
>text file. On a daily basis I use this feature in commercial tool-chains.
>
>Eric

I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you Eric.

And thanks to everyone that suggested solutions. The most promising one seems
to be that of generating a linker script that specifies the input files, but I
haven't gotten around to trying it out.

In the meantime, I share Eric's belief that this would be a very desirable
feature for the GNU linker.

Berend
-

* Re: Passing list of objects to GNU ld...
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Devolder; +Cc: gw32

No, the same problem doesn't exist.  You can append one file at a time
to the library.  One could create the library with a script file one
file at a time.

---Eric Devolder <ra3677@email.sps.mot.com> wrote:

> The same problem exists in the course of creating the library. If
you have
> lots of object files needed to link together for a program, then you
may also
> have lots of object files to place in the library.
>
> I for one would like a feature of being able to list the object
files in a
> text file. On a daily basis I use this feature in commercial
tool-chains.

> Eric
>
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > Why not use an archived library file?
> >
> > ---Berend Ozceri <berend@istanbul.engr.sgi.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Excerpts from gnu-win32: 15-Jul-98 RE: Passing list of objects
to by
> > GNU ld...
> > >          Sergey Okhapkin
> > to be linked

> > per line?

> > > The problem is, I am trying to work around the issue of the
> > command-line being
> > > too long (i.e. exceeding the maximum number of command-line
> > arguments of the
> > > shell). Therefore cat'ing a file and expanding the file into
> > arguments is *not*
> > > a solution.
> > >
> > > In case anyone cares, this is for compiling the output of a
Verilog

@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` Eric Devolder
From: Eric Devolder @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: gnu-win32, Berend Ozceri

@ 1998-07-15  1:30 Robin Crampton
From: Robin Crampton @ 1998-07-15  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>Is there any way to get GNU ld to read the list of object files to be
linked
>from a text file containing the names of the object files, one per line?

How about:

 gcc `cat file`

-

* RE: Passing list of objects to GNU ld...
@ 1998-07-14 21:52 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1998-07-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Berend Ozceri'

--