* BUG: False input = CRASH!
@ 1998-07-17 18:54 zyrain
From: zyrain @ 1998-07-17 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I, and others, have found that if you input a wrong command (ie, put
anything other than a command) Cygnus32 will hang the Windows95/NT
environment system. This may not happen to all, though I do think it
does. This is a MUST fix, or it's useless to use it, as not all of us
can be the most perfect of spellers all the time.

-

* Re: BUG: False input = CRASH!
@ 1998-07-18 15:13 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1998-07-18 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi zyrain,

>I, and others, have found that if you input a wrong command (ie, put
>anything other than a command) Cygnus32 will hang the Windows95/NT

It never happens on NT - *never* !

>environment system. This may not happen to all, though I do think it
>does. This is a MUST fix, or it's useless to use it, as not all of us
>can be the most perfect of spellers all the time.

For Windows 95 install either the USB patch or Windows 98.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
-

* RE: BUG: False input = CRASH!
@ 1998-07-19 12:58   ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1998-07-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

For what it's worth, this problem isn't universal, so maybe there's hope. I
use cygwin on both NT and 95. The 95 machine does not have OSR2, and
therefore does *not* have the USB patch. On the 95 machine, I very rarely
see it hang. Right now, I've got a bash window open and I'm just entering
garbage on the command line. All I get is "command not found".

I wish I had some words of wisdom for those who are having the problem. The
only thing I've done outside of upgrading to the egcs-1.0.2 compiler is that
I've kept up with Sergey's latest coolview releases. If you're having the
problem and don't have Sergey's latest, get it.

FWIW,

--
Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

-

* Re: BUG: False input = CRASH!
@ 1998-07-20  1:44 Robert.Cross
From: Robert.Cross @ 1998-07-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Zyrain wrote:

#I, and others, have found that if you input a wrong command (ie, put
#anything other than a command) Cygnus32 will hang the Windows95/NT
#environment system.

Do you mean put in a command that doesn't exist, or just doesn't exist within
Cygwin32? It is perhaps possible that the misspelt command is actually a
valid Windoze one, and it is *this* command that is hanging?

I'm running v19.1 with Sergey's CYGWIN.DLL on v4.00.950B Windows95, and
I used the following session:
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ zoggo
 BASH.EXE: zoggo: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ pootle
 BASH.EXE: pootle: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ ds
 BASH.EXE: ds: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ wibble
 BASH.EXE: wibble: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ kludge
 BASH.EXE: kludge: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ gazonga
 BASH.EXE: gazonga: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ boobley
 BASH.EXE: boobley: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$ billgates
 BASH.EXE: billgates: command not found
 BASH.EXE-2.01$
As you can see, no lock up.  Could you give an example of the kinds of
misspellings that cause the
system to hang? As you will appreciate, the first step in fixing the problem
would be to get the developers
able to duplicate the problem - otherwise they're just poking around in the
dark.

The other point is - are you sure of the validity of your installation?

# This may not happen to all, though I do think it
#does. This is a MUST fix, or it's useless to use it, as not all of us
#can be the most perfect of spellers all the time.
Is this WAS the case, then the mailing list would be full of
complaints/comments. It isn't, therefore this 'problem'
isn't as widespread as you appear to be suggesting. As to not being the most
perfect of spellers, point
out someone who is ;-)

Bob Cross.
"If knowledge is power, how come most politicians are so DUMB!"

* Re:  BUG: False input = CRASH!
@ 1998-07-19  6:11 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1998-07-19  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zyrain, owner-gnu-win32, gnu-win32

In a message dated 7/18/98 1:50:51 PM, zyrain@brawleyonline.com wrote:

<<if you input a wrong command (ie, put
anything other than a command) Cygnus32 will hang the Windows95/NT
environment system. >>

But, under NT, you can enter ^C until the prompt comes back.  Under W95, you
may  end up rebooting.
-