* drand48 et al. in gnu-win32's libc?
@ 1998-05-19 22:59 Christian Joensson FOA 72
From: Christian Joensson FOA 72 @ 1998-05-19 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I'm interested in ``porting'' some software from the UNIX to the NT using some
variant of the gnu-win32 compilers, i.e., cygwin32, mingw32, egcs/cygwin32.

There is a specific problem I have, I need the drand48 and friend functions. I
know that they are considered ``poor'' by some and should be replaced by ither
``better'' random number generators. This is not an issue for me...

I'd like to have access to the drand48 et al. through ordinary linkage,
preferably in libc. I find that the glibc for my Linux Intel box does have the
drand48 et al. functions so a bold suggestion would be to ``take'' the code
and lift it into gnu-win32's libc, right? Oh, I do realize that it is quite
tricky and that someone has to find the time to do it, but anyhow, I'd like to
find it sometime in the future...

Perhaps someone else on the list has had similar thoughts and perhaps come up
with an approach/solution?

If I can't find it in libc, I could do with a ``separate'' librarry (a dll?)
that would do the job, but really, I'd like to see it in libc...

Crazy idea, right? Go look in dejanews for people wanting this under Win NT...

Please forgive my ignorance concerning development of gnu-win32 and please
don't ``flame up'' because of this.

Hope to get some kind of constructive feedback. Cheers,

/ChJ

-

* Re: drand48 et al. in gnu-win32's libc?
@ 1998-07-21 11:09 ` Christian Joensson FOA 72
From: Christian Joensson FOA 72 @ 1998-07-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

For the upcoming GNU-Win32 release 19.5/20 release, I sure wish that drand48
and friends could show up in gnu-win32's environment... Anyone able to do it?

(I know, I should stop ``complaining'' and contribute it myself, but I really
can't... I can dream, though...)

/ChJ

-

* Re: drand48 et al. in gnu-win32's libc?
@ 1998-07-22  8:40   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-07-22  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Joensson FOA 72; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Christian Joensson FOA 72 wrote:

> For the upcoming GNU-Win32 release 19.5/20 release, I sure wish that drand48
> and friends could show up in gnu-win32's environment... Anyone able to do it?

If you need drand48, just take it out Linux libc 5.x or glibc 2.x sources
and use that.

Mumit

-