* cygwinb19.dll and applications.
@ 1998-10-18 19:46 Ian Collins
From: Ian Collins @ 1998-10-18 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnu-Win32 (E-mail)

Very confused! Please Help.
What is the correct procedure to compile and install a copy of
cygwinb19.dll? Is there one? What am I doing wrong?

I downladed the latest snapshot
(ftp.cygnus.com/pub/noer/winsup-snapshot), and did the following,

#cd /usr/src
#mkdir /usr/src/obj
#tar xvf /save/winsup-981012.tar

... Changed the winsup/Makefile.in to reference cygwinb19.dll instead of
... cygwindevo.dll

#cd obj
#../configure --prefix=/Cygnus/B19
--exec-prefix=/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32
#make

That worked great!

I then did,

#make install

First of all, when it tried to install cygwinb19.dll, it wouldn't let
me, as it was being used. (Fair enough).
So, I moved it in Windows explorer to a directory earlier in the PATH,
and tried again.

This time everything installed.

BUT NOW, when I start bash, I get a Windows dialog that says that,

"/Cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwinb19.dll is not a valid windows NT
image."

It looks good to me (I looked in a dll viewer).

What am I doing wrong? Why is this so difficult?
Do all the tools have to be rebuilt as well?

Many regards,
Ian Collins.
-

* Re: cygwinb19.dll and applications.
@ 1998-10-19 15:56 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-10-19 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Collins; +Cc: Gnu-Win32 (E-mail)

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 01:58:58PM +1300, Ian Collins wrote:
[...]
> BUT NOW, when I start bash, I get a Windows dialog that says that,
>
> "/Cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwinb19.dll is not a valid windows NT
> image."
>
> It looks good to me (I looked in a dll viewer).
>
> What am I doing wrong? Why is this so difficult?

There have been many improvements in the compiler tools since last
spring.  I suspect that the current winsup development snapshots
require one or more of these changes to be compiled properly.

This problem ought to go away once we release b20.  Until then, make
sure you're building the snapshots with Mumit's EGCS 1.1 binaries.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: cygwinb19.dll and applications.
@ 1998-10-19 15:56 ` jeffdb
From: jeffdb @ 1998-10-19 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Using explorer or a dos box rename the old cygwinb19.dll,
You can only have ONE cygwinXX.dll anywhere that can be
executed.

Windows tries to load dll's from the application dir, the current dir
the path and anywhere else it can think of ;^), and forking
with a different version of cygwinXX.dll is a very bad idea!!!

-