* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-10-31  8:05 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-10-31  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj, Alex Madarasz; +Cc: gnu-win32, bje, rpj, rjc

---Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

> > And, I just stumbled across this alternative alternative at :
> >
> >    < ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ >
>
> I have configure/make the libpthread32.a library using cygwin32
b19.3 (no
> egcs, gcc from cdk.exe). When I tried to compile the distributed test
> programs I get the following undefined reference errors:
>
> % gcc create1.c -I.. -L.. -lpthread32
> ../libpthread32.a(create.o)(.text+0x19a):create.c: undefined
reference to
> `_beginthreadex'
> ../libpthread32.a(exit.o)(.text+0xbe):exit.c: undefined reference to
> `_endthreadex'
> ../libpthread32.a(mutex.o)(.text+0x11e):mutex.c: undefined reference
> `TryEnterCriticalSection'

These may reside in the MSVCRTxx.DLL and if that is the case then
you'll have to figure out what to import from it.  NOTE: It is most
likely that you'll not be able to do what you are trying to do.  Your
time would most likely be better spent trying to get the UNIX version
to fit CYGWIN than trying to get the WIN32 version to fit CYGWIN.

You should, most likely, be able to build this package with MINGW32.

==
-                  \\||//

* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-10-31 18:06 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1998-10-31 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: Alex Madarasz, gnu-win32, bje, rpj, rjc

> These may reside in the MSVCRTxx.DLL and if that is the case then
> you'll have to figure out what to import from it.  NOTE: It is most
> likely that you'll not be able to do what you are trying to do.  Your
> time would most likely be better spent trying to get the UNIX version
> to fit CYGWIN than trying to get the WIN32 version to fit CYGWIN.

hmm, I have tried this already on the MIT's pthread package, but they use
_very_ system close code I simply don't understand how to provide for the
cygwin32 environment.

Any help on that would be welcome.

> You should, most likely, be able to build this package with MINGW32.

may it be possible using the upcoming b20 of cygwin32?!

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Cygwin32 Porting Project

-

* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-11-04  4:32             ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1998-11-04  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tjump; +Cc: Ben Elliston, Anders Norlander, gnu-win32

> >What about Windows 98?  Does it exist there?
>
> It's exported from Kernel32.dll under Win98, but don't ask me how well it works
> in comparison to NT.

I tried to build the package again using cygwin b20, where it seems it is exported
within the libkernel32.a library. So I linked the test programs agains it but the
undefined reference error still remains.

Regards,
Stipe

--

@ 1998-11-01 16:32             ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1998-11-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher G. Faylor; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Tue Sep 15 18:36:08 1998  Ben Elliston  <bje@cygnus.com>
>
>         * sysdef/kernel32.def: Add definition for the Win32 API function
>         `TryEnterCriticalSection'.
>
> This is a non-issue.  We can't retroactively add the definitions to
> previous stub libraries.  "We" (i.e., Ben) did add them to Cygnus def
> files and therefore they will be in B20.
> --

that's good news Chris, thanks.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Cygwin Porting Project

@ 1998-11-01  8:53           ` Theodore Jump
From: Theodore Jump @ 1998-11-01  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: Anders Norlander, gnu-win32

@ 1998-10-31 22:53         ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 1998-10-31 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Norlander; +Cc: gnu-win32

> _beginthreadex and _endthreadex are part of the MS C runtime and not
> the OS (I think). TryEnterCriticalSection does not even exist in
> win95, so programs using the pthread32 library would not run on
> that platform and that would be a bad thing.

What about Windows 98?  Does it exist there?

Ben

-

* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
       [not found]         ` <Pine.LNX.3.95.981030222714.12344A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@moshpit.cygnus.com>
@ 1998-10-31 21:28           ` Christopher G. Faylor
From: Christopher G. Faylor @ 1998-10-31 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.981030222714.12344A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@moshpit.cygnus.com>,
Ben Elliston <bje@cygnus.com> wrote:
>> I'm running Cygwin32 b19.3 (no EGCS, gcc from cdk.exe) on a Win98 box.
>
>Right.  So you may or may not have TryEnterCriticalSection(), for example.
>I don't know.
>
>> so why don't adding them, Geoffrey?!
>
>I believe there was some contention over what effect this would have on
>_any_ binaries linked against this stub.  Someone tried to convince me
>that this means that the executable would fail to load on systems where
>this didn't exist, even if the program didn't call for this function.

Huh?  Ben you added the definition yourself.  It will be in B20:

Tue Sep 15 18:36:08 1998  Ben Elliston  <bje@cygnus.com>

        * sysdef/kernel32.def: Add definition for the Win32 API function
        `TryEnterCriticalSection'.

This is a non-issue.  We can't retroactively add the definitions to
previous stub libraries.  "We" (i.e., Ben) did add them to Cygnus def
files and therefore they will be in B20.
--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/

* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-10-31  6:26       ` Anders Norlander
From: Anders Norlander @ 1998-10-31  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: gnu-win32

Ben Elliston wrote:

> Hi Stipe,
>
> > > And, I just stumbled across this alternative alternative at :
> > >    < ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ >
>
> Please use the CVS repository we have on sourceware.cygnus.com, if you
> can.  The snapshot that is there is for people who have no access to CVS,
> but it makes life harder.
>
> > I have configure/make the libpthread32.a library using cygwin32 b19.3
> > egcs, gcc from cdk.exe). When I tried to compile the distributed test
> > programs I get the following undefined reference errors:
>
> > % gcc create1.c -I.. -L.. -lpthread32
> > ../libpthread32.a(create.o)(.text+0x19a):create.c: undefined reference
> > `_beginthreadex'
> > ../libpthread32.a(exit.o)(.text+0xbe):exit.c: undefined reference to
> > `_endthreadex'
> > ../libpthread32.a(mutex.o)(.text+0x11e):mutex.c: undefined reference to
> > `TryEnterCriticalSection'
>
> Ah yes.  Are you using Windows 95 or NT?
>
> There has been a recent discussion about why these aren't in Cygwin's
> library stubs and I'm not sure what the outcome was.  Anyone?

Hi,
_beginthreadex and _endthreadex are part of the MS C runtime and not
the OS (I think). TryEnterCriticalSection does not even exist in
win95, so programs using the pthread32 library would not run on
that platform and that would be a bad thing.

Anders Norlander
-

* posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-10-30  5:08   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1998-10-30  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Madarasz; +Cc: gnu-win32, bje, rpj, rjc

> And, I just stumbled across this alternative alternative at :
>
>    < ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ >

I have configure/make the libpthread32.a library using cygwin32 b19.3 (no
egcs, gcc from cdk.exe). When I tried to compile the distributed test
programs I get the following undefined reference errors:

% gcc create1.c -I.. -L.. -lpthread32
../libpthread32.a(create.o)(.text+0x19a):create.c: undefined reference to
`_beginthreadex'
../libpthread32.a(exit.o)(.text+0xbe):exit.c: undefined reference to
`_endthreadex'
../libpthread32.a(mutex.o)(.text+0x11e):mutex.c: undefined reference to
`TryEnterCriticalSection'

These seem to be undefined within all standard cygwin32 libraries. So where
are they, and how can I build the test programs and other applications using
the pthread32 library for cygwin32?

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stipe

From: Stipe Tolj @ 1998-10-30  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Madarasz; +Cc: gnu-win32, bje, rpj, rjc

@ 1998-10-30  5:08         ` Ben Elliston
       [not found]         ` <Pine.LNX.3.95.981030222714.12344A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@moshpit.cygnus.com>
From: Ben Elliston @ 1998-10-30  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: Geoffrey Noer, Alex Madarasz, gnu-win32, rpj, rjc

@ 1998-10-30  5:08     ` Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.
From: Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. @ 1998-10-30  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, bje, rpj, rjc

Stipe Tolj wrote on 29 Oct 98, 21:53 :

> > And, I just stumbled across this alternative alternative at :
> >
> >    < ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ >
>
> I have configure/make the libpthread32.a library using cygwin32 b19.3 ...
>
> These seem to be undefined within all standard cygwin32 libraries. So
> where are they, and how can I build the test programs and other
> applications using the pthread32 library for cygwin32?

I haven't tried them at all, (just posted the URL for reference, and am in the
middle of a job search ;-), so I'd suggest the references from the pthreads-
win32 docs, which included a mailing list as I recall.

Oh, and I'd _definitely_ heed the following, which was posted in response to my
post :

--
Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.  --  madarasz@erols.com
-

* Re: posix threads (pthread32) undefined references
@ 1998-10-30  5:08     ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 1998-10-30  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: Alex Madarasz, gnu-win32, rpj, rjc

Hi Stipe,