* RE: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
@ 1999-02-09  7:11 Oelke, Dan
       [not found] ` < C59D5C0A3D3FD21192BA00A0C9DDB6A8012EA8@bemidji >
From: Oelke, Dan @ 1999-02-09  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

A list management program must put in a Sender field to
really be RFC-822 compliant. And, mail delivery systems
must use that field for handling bounces.   Unfortunately,
CCmail and Exchange gateways are very often do not use
the Sender field. <sigh> but that is another whole battle.

Can someone at cygnus who has control over the new
list management software please configure it to put in
a Sender: field.  If nothing else, a formail filter can put
one in for you quite nicely, but I am guessing that this
new software package you are using should be able to
do it.  If you want - I can quote page and section of 822
that requires it.  God knows I've done that to enough
postmasters for CCmail systems ;-)

As for Outlook scanning the entire header - not Outlook 97
that I am using on NT.  It's filtering capabilities suck.
I really need to find me a Unix home on the net someplace
that I can connect via IMAP to.......

Thanks,
Dan

@ 1999-02-09  8:31   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]     ` < 3.0.3.32.19990209112620.00956b40@pop.ma.ultranet.com >
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 1999-02-09  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oelke, Dan, gnu-win32

Perhaps its best to take this discussion off-line.

I'm not sure what (or if) there is a problem on the Cygnus side.  As you
can see, the message I got from you via the list is below and clearly
has a "Sender:" field.  Then again, that doesn't mean that Cygnus is
responsible for the field I see I suppose!;-)  It is possible, however,
that if you consistently are missing the field now that something along
your path is causing/contributing to the problem.  In any case, I don't
claim to know anything about mail routing or its standards.  Still, this
discussion on the list is probably for-not.  Direct contact with Cygnus
is the best way to understand where your problem lies.  If you care to flame
or otherwise respond to my comments, you can do so directly.  I don't think
the mail list needs to be concerned with any future discussion!;-)

Larry

At 09:07 AM 2/9/99 -0600, Oelke, Dan wrote:
>Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
>From: "Oelke, Dan" <doelke@opticalsolutions.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: RE: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
>Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:07:02 -0600
>

>A list management program must put in a Sender field to
>really be RFC-822 compliant. And, mail delivery systems
>must use that field for handling bounces.   Unfortunately,
>CCmail and Exchange gateways are very often do not use
>the Sender field. <sigh> but that is another whole battle.
>
>Can someone at cygnus who has control over the new
>list management software please configure it to put in
>a Sender: field.  If nothing else, a formail filter can put
>one in for you quite nicely, but I am guessing that this
>new software package you are using should be able to
>do it.  If you want - I can quote page and section of 822
>that requires it.  God knows I've done that to enough
>postmasters for CCmail systems ;-)
>
>As for Outlook scanning the entire header - not Outlook 97
>that I am using on NT.  It's filtering capabilities suck.
>I really need to find me a Unix home on the net someplace
>that I can connect via IMAP to.......
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

* Re: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?  Hello?  Look at the Headers!
       [not found] ` < C59D5C0A3D3FD21192BA00A0C9DDB6A8012EA8@bemidji >
@ 1999-02-09  9:33   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oelke, Dan, gnu-win32

The list was changed to add the Sender field yesterday.

This whole exchange has taken place via mail messages that
had Sender: in the header.

I did send out an announcement to each individual on the list
and to the mailing list as a while.  I'm not sure how anyone
could have fallen through the cracks but I expect that everyone
will become painfully aware of the new mailing list software in
a month or so when mail to gnu-win32@cygnus.com fails.

cgf

cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/

@ 1999-02-09  9:34   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-02-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doelke; +Cc: gnu-win32

I have consistently gotten a

    Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com

header on top of each of these messages complaining about the absence of
a Sender: field.

Might there be some problem with certain subscriber's gateways?

* Re: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
       [not found] ` < C59D5C0A3D3FD21192BA00A0C9DDB6A8012EA8@bemidji >
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-02-10  1:22   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 1999-02-10  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doelke; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tuesday, 9 February 1999, doelke@opticalsolutions.com writes:

[..]

> As for Outlook scanning the entire header - not Outlook 97
> that I am using on NT.  It's filtering capabilities suck.
> I really need to find me a Unix home on the net someplace
> that I can connect via IMAP to.......

There are various usix mailers that'll compile+work on NT
(with cygnus' gnu-windows package).
When I started this new job, my only option was Outlook97,
which almost drove me mad.  It has silly bugs, almost every
preset is at the wrong value by default, and you can only
read your mail in a proportional font (afaik).

Now i'm using (n)mh, with pop/smtp (not local sendmail) and
slocal filtering (haven't got mh-e got to work, though).
(Guess what, you can filter on strings in the header fields
too, just like with ms's great program.  Amazing, no?)

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/

@ 1999-02-11 11:06       ` Marc Auslander
From: Marc Auslander @ 1999-02-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: doelke, gnu-win32

All new mail from the listserver has:

the mh mail filter on my AIX will happily look for that.  I don't know
about other filters.

Marc Auslander   <marc@watson.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Tieline 862 Fax x4425)

* Re: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doelke; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-28 23:02         ` Marc Auslander
From: Marc Auslander @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: doelke, gnu-win32

All new mail from the listserver has:

the mh mail filter on my AIX will happily look for that.  I don't know
about other filters.

Marc Auslander   <marc@watson.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Tieline 862 Fax x4425)

* [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` David M. Smith
From: David M. Smith @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

Until recently all the mail from this group was filtered on the
"Sender:" field to a specific pseudo newsgroup by my mail / news
program.  About a week ago all the traffic started appearing in my
general mailbox, hiding less frequent personal stuff (I read the list
stuff in chunks when I have the time, not when it arrives).  None of the
mail has a "Sender:" field and the mail seems to be routed via various
personal aliases for the list server in the "CC:" field.  I have tried
to construct a new filtering rule but there are too many permutations.

Has anyone else noticed this change and does anyone know why it has just
started?  How do I send questions like this to the list administrator?

Regards,
David
--

@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Simon Fear
From: Simon Fear @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Simon Kissane'; +Cc: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

I never thought I would find myself extolling the virtues of a MS
product, but using Outlook you can set a rule to search the (whole)
header for the string 'cygnus' which has caught everything sent so far

Simon F

> Until recently all the mail from this group was filtered on the
> "Sender:" field to a specific pseudo newsgroup by my mail / news
> program.  About a week ago all the traffic started appearing in my
> general mailbox, hiding less frequent personal stuff (I read the list
> stuff in chunks when I have the time, not when it arrives).  None of
> the mail has a "Sender:" field and the mail seems to be routed via
various
> personal aliases for the list server in the "CC:" field.  I have tried
> to construct a new filtering rule but there are too many permutations.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this change and does anyone know why it has
just
> started?  How do I send questions like this to the list administrator?
I've noticed the same problem... its really annoying me. But until I got
this message, I thought they'd just changed all the messages to be CCed
to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com...

If what you say is true, this is going to be real annoying...
might as well unsubscribe...

       [not found]     ` < 36C01829.DD20B1F2@upf.es >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Walter Garcia-Fontes
From: Walter Garcia-Fontes @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kissane; +Cc: gnu-win32

The change is of course due to the fact that they have changed the
listserver. I check now for "sourceware.cygnus.com" in the To: and CC:
fields and filter the mail as well as before (using procmail). You still
have to keep your old rules since some people keep sending to
gnu-win32@cygnus.com (also check this in To: and CC:).

Including a Sender: field may be useful, though, so if people at Cygnus
could program the listserver  to include a Sender: or Owner: field,
filtering the mail would be easier.

Yours,
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona.

* Re: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
       [not found]   ` < 36C00DCD.AA3BCA88@tig.com.au >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Simon Kissane
From: Simon Kissane @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Oelke, Dan
From: Oelke, Dan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Oh - if it were only a matter of having to compile up a mailer - I'd be
in heaven.  But, we only have an Exchange server for company email, and
everyone expects you to send/receive Outlook style calendar things as
well as Word attachments.  You'd swear that people had never heard of
just using straight ASCII..... <sigh>

Hence my need to get a separate IMAP/POP account outside the company so
that I can get a real mailer and filtering capabilities, etc.....

Dan

@ 1999-02-28 23:02         ` David M. Smith
From: David M. Smith @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-10  7:03 Oelke, Dan
From: Oelke, Dan @ 1999-02-10  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-09  8:25     ` Chris Savage
From: Chris Savage @ 1999-02-09  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kissane; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:28:29 +1100, Simon Kissane wrote:
>"David M. Smith" wrote:
>> Has anyone else noticed this change and does anyone know why it has just
>> started?  How do I send questions like this to the list administrator?
>I've noticed the same problem... its really annoying me. But until I got
>this message, I thought they'd just changed all the messages to be CCed
>to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com...
>
>If what you say is true, this is going to be real annoying...
>might as well unsubscribe...
Good luck. I've tried twice emailing
cygwin-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com and once to the old
majordomo. Still getting the usual traffic but some from gnuwin32 some
from cygwin and I don't want any from either.

@ 1999-02-09  5:54       ` David M. Smith
From: David M. Smith @ 1999-02-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-09  3:11   ` Walter Garcia-Fontes
From: Walter Garcia-Fontes @ 1999-02-09  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kissane; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1999-02-09  2:37 Simon Fear

> Until recently all the mail from this group was filtered on the
> "Sender:" field to a specific pseudo newsgroup by my mail / news
> program.  About a week ago all the traffic started appearing in my
> general mailbox, hiding less frequent personal stuff (I read the list
> stuff in chunks when I have the time, not when it arrives).  None of
> the mail has a "Sender:" field and the mail seems to be routed via
various
> personal aliases for the list server in the "CC:" field.  I have tried
> to construct a new filtering rule but there are too many permutations.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this change and does anyone know why it has
just
> started?  How do I send questions like this to the list administrator?
I've noticed the same problem... its really annoying me. But until I got
this message, I thought they'd just changed all the messages to be CCed
to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com...

If what you say is true, this is going to be real annoying...
might as well unsubscribe...

> Regards,
> David
> --
> David M. Smith
>
> --

* Re: [Q:] Has Mail Delivery Changed?
@ 1999-02-09  2:28 ` Simon Kissane
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Kissane @ 1999-02-09  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

"David M. Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Until recently all the mail from this group was filtered on the
> "Sender:" field to a specific pseudo newsgroup by my mail / news
> program.  About a week ago all the traffic started appearing in my
> general mailbox, hiding less frequent personal stuff (I read the list
> stuff in chunks when I have the time, not when it arrives).  None of
> the mail has a "Sender:" field and the mail seems to be routed via various
> personal aliases for the list server in the "CC:" field.  I have tried
> to construct a new filtering rule but there are too many permutations.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this change and does anyone know why it has just
> started?  How do I send questions like this to the list administrator?
I've noticed the same problem... its really annoying me. But until I got
this message, I thought they'd just changed all the messages to be CCed
to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com...

If what you say is true, this is going to be real annoying...
might as well unsubscribe...

> Regards,
> David
> --