* Re: Debugging the cygwin DLL
@ 1999-02-22 14:33 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curtis Galloway, cygwin

---Curtis Galloway <curtis@pdi.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any hints for debugging the Cygwin dll?  The messages I
found in
> the archive on the subject were pretty dated.
>
> Creating a static version of libcygwin.a seems to be the way to go.
If anyone
> has done this already in b20.1, I'd love to hear from them.

I've not heard of this but according to Geoff Noer in a personal note
to me it would be possible to create a static version of libcygwin.a
but that it would require quite a bit of work as it is currently setup
to create the dynamic library.  I believe this to mean the working
internals as well.
==
-                        \\||//

* Re: Debugging the cygwin DLL
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curtis Galloway, cygwin

       [not found]       ` < 36D1E0A5.D4B841D2@pdi.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02       ` Curtis Galloway
From: Curtis Galloway @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Anyone have any hints for debugging the Cygwin dll?  The messages I
> > found in the archive on the subject were pretty dated.
>
> You should be able to just use gdb to debug it, even as a dll.  Have
> you tried?  Hmmm, maybe it's one of those things that didn't make it
> into the last beta, or maybe it doesn't work as well as I think it
> does.  If you did try, what happened?

Ah, indeed, if I

   gdb cygwin1.dll

and then

   gdb> exec-file myprogram.exe

I can debug functions within the cygwin DLL.  Very nice.

Unfortunately, gdb's use of signals seems to interfere with debugging the
cygwin signal handling code.  I think I'm stuck with using strace after all.

Thanks,
--Curtis

* Re: Debugging the cygwin DLL
@ 1999-02-28 23:02           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: curtis; +Cc: cygwin

> Unfortunately, gdb's use of signals seems to interfere with
> debugging the cygwin signal handling code.  I think I'm stuck with
> using strace after all.

Signals are just barely supported in gdb as is.  Chris and I also use
strace to debug them.

* Re: Debugging the cygwin DLL
@ 1999-02-28 23:02           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: curtis, cygwin

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 06:35:52PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Unfortunately, gdb's use of signals seems to interfere with
>> debugging the cygwin signal handling code.  I think I'm stuck with
>> using strace after all.
>
>Signals are just barely supported in gdb as is.  Chris and I also use
>strace to debug them.

Cygwin signals should be handled better in one of the recent gdb snapshots
if any adventurous soul would like to try to compile a new cygwin gdb.

The new snapshot should also allow some thread support as well as the
ability to attach to a running process using the *Win32* pid (not the
cygwin pid).

cgf

* Debugging the cygwin DLL
       [not found] ` < 36D1D392.2FA663A3@pdi.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Curtis Galloway

From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: curtis; +Cc: cygwin

> Anyone have any hints for debugging the Cygwin dll?  The messages I
> found in the archive on the subject were pretty dated.

You should be able to just use gdb to debug it, even as a dll.  Have
you tried?  Hmmm, maybe it's one of those things that didn't make it
into the last beta, or maybe it doesn't work as well as I think it
does.  If you did try, what happened?

> Creating a static version of libcygwin.a seems to be the way to go.
> If anyone has done this already in b20.1, I'd love to hear from
> them.

It can be done, but it's not that easy.  The big problem is that the
DLL has some initialization stuff that doesn't happen if you link it
statically, and it expects some things to be in the dll vs the exe,
like malloc, so you have to replace those as well.

@ 1999-02-22 15:36         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-22 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: curtis; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-22 15:06     ` Curtis Galloway