* RE: Cygnus
@ 1999-02-14 20:44 Takeshi Takayama
       [not found] ` < 013e01be589d$9c73d820$783c0b93@t120.kk.wrs.com >
From: Takeshi Takayama @ 1999-02-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does anyone have experience about Canadian Cross GNU building ?
I'm struggling with it.   Please share information.

Thanks,
Takeshi Takayama

* RE: Cygnus
       [not found] ` < 013e01be589d$9c73d820$783c0b93@t120.kk.wrs.com >
@ 1999-02-14 21:11   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-14 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takeshi Takayama; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Takeshi Takayama wrote:

> Does anyone have experience about Canadian Cross GNU building ?
> I'm struggling with it.   Please share information.

Since you don't mention what platforms you're talking about, I'm going
to assume you're trying to build Cygwin-hosted compiler/apps from
possibly a Unix machine.

Please search the mailing list. I've provided step by step instructions in
the past. The most recent one was sometime end of January, 1999.

To get to the search engine, visit:
  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/

The posting I refer to is at:
  http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1999-Jan/0572.html

Regards,
Mumit

* RE: Cygnus
       [not found] ` < 013e01be589d$9c73d820$783c0b93@t120.kk.wrs.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Takeshi Takayama
From: Takeshi Takayama @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takeshi Takayama; +Cc: cygwin

       [not found]     ` < 19990216003738.A12301@cygnus.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 09:10:38AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>---Steve Morris <smorris@nexen.com> wrote:
>> I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
>> but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
>> was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.
>
>I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this.
>Christopher?  Geoff?

Searching the archives works fine for me.

cgf

* RE: Cygnus
       [not found] ` < 19990215171038.24284.rocketmail@send105.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

---Steve Morris <smorris@nexen.com> wrote:
8<
> While I sympathize with the problem I post from many mail addresses;
> seldom from the one I joined the list with. I joined with my personal
> mail address (where I archive etc with procmail and don't worry about
> changing jobs.) and almost always post from a work account or my wives
> account. Does the list server support aliases? That might solve my
> problem.
8<

That's the reason I use mail.yahoo.com.  I can read it at both places
and it's their disk space and mail servers I'm using.

8<
> I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
> but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
> was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.
8<

I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this.
Christopher?  Geoff?

8<
> Maybe we should turn the list into a newsgroup ;->.
8<

Newsgroup is a dead issue.  Check the archives.
==
-                        \\||//

* Cygnus
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Ravyn
From: Ravyn @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all

	Just recently joined the Cygnus mailing list. I am hoping to learn how to
code in C and wanted to download this compiler. When I looked through the
available downloads for cygwin (I'm running my computer on Win '95) I was
not able to find some convenient zip file or readme to tell my little
newbie self what to do :P Can anyone out there send some information or
anything? (or am I ending up annoying or sending this to the wrong mailing
list :P)

             -matt

* Re: Cygnus
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

> Should this list become closed to members only?

The main list should never be closed like that, since it's the one we
advertise for general help, which is what these people are doing.  The
developer's list is closed (mail from subscribers only) to prevent it
from being used as a general purpose list, but the general purpose one
should be open.  If people are asking for help, making them junp
through hoops to do so is a bad idea.

A good idea, if someone wants to try to tackle it, is to write some
software that monitors the list and attempts to send private mail to
people who post obviously FAQ questions.  Or, detect that someone is
posting who hasn't posted yet (or in the last N months) and send them
a private mini-faq telling them where to get online information.

* Re: Cygnus
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

>That would assume that they'd read any of the posted messages before
>posting, which I wouldn't assume.  The case that needs the most
>attention (from our point of view) is when a user gets cygwin, tries
>to install it, fails, and sends email.  Note I never mentioned
"surfed
>the web", "found the faq", or "subscribed to the mailing list".

May I then suggest including the faq with it then?

Tom

(It's not that hard to install, how can people mess it up?)
|               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!              |

* Re: Cygnus
       [not found]         ` < 199902161813.NAA05165@brocade.nexen.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02         ` Steve Morris
From: Steve Morris @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

Christopher Faylor writes:
 > On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 09:10:38AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
 > >---Steve Morris <smorris@nexen.com> wrote:
 > >> I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
 > >> but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
 > >> was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.
 > >
 > >I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this.
 > >Christopher?  Geoff?
 >
 > Searching the archives works fine for me.

What I thought was not working was slower than expected performance,
sometimes so slow that the browser times out waiting. If I am patient
and try enough times I eventually get results. As an example I
searched for CVS. I got the first of ten pages of results and then
pressed the icon for the second page. I got a response after 45
seconds. Some other pages responded in less than 10 seconds. When I
started searching on Saturday I was unlucky and got the browser
timeout the first time. After that I assumed that a long delay ment
that it was going to fail again and impatiently terminated the search
before getting a result.

* Re: Cygnus
       [not found] ` < 36194654.3.28477@mx1-12.onmedia.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

>A good idea, if someone wants to try to tackle it, is to write some
>software that monitors the list and attempts to send private mail to
>people who post obviously FAQ questions.  Or, detect that someone is
>posting who hasn't posted yet (or in the last N months) and send them
>a private mini-faq telling them where to get online information.

Maybe even include one liners after the .SIG to say 'get your faq at
this site'.

Tom

       [not found] ` < 19990215153239.13597.rocketmail@send106.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

It seems to me that most of these types of questions; ones that have
been answered before and can be researched from the archives, or are
on the FAQ; are from people who are not on the mailing list.  Because
of the number of questions that Mumit and others answer over and over
again I would like to pose an off topic question.

Should this list become closed to members only?

IMHO, this would give the would be questioner rules up front.  The
resource pointer FAQ that gets posted by Michael Weiser
<michael@weiser.saale-net.de> could be included in the instructions
that get mailed to new members.  This should cut down on the number of
unresearched questions.

Regards,
Earnie.

---Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Takeshi Takayama wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience about Canadian Cross GNU building ?
> > I'm struggling with it.   Please share information.
>
> Since you don't mention what platforms you're talking about, I'm going
> to assume you're trying to build Cygwin-hosted compiler/apps from
> possibly a Unix machine.
>
> Please search the mailing list. I've provided step by step
instructions in
> the past. The most recent one was sometime end of January, 1999.
>
> To get to the search engine, visit:
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/
>
> The posting I refer to is at:
>   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1999-Jan/0572.html
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

* Re: Cygnus
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomstdenis; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Morris; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users, Jason Molenda

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 01:13:21PM -0500, Steve Morris wrote:

>Christopher Faylor writes:
> > >
> > >I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this.
> > >Christopher?  Geoff?
> >
> > Searching the archives works fine for me.
>
>What I thought was not working was slower than expected performance,
>sometimes so slow that the browser times out waiting. If I am patient
>and try enough times I eventually get results. As an example I
>searched for CVS. I got the first of ten pages of results and then
>pressed the icon for the second page. I got a response after 45
>seconds. Some other pages responded in less than 10 seconds. When I
>started searching on Saturday I was unlucky and got the browser
>timeout the first time. After that I assumed that a long delay ment
>that it was going to fail again and impatiently terminated the search
>before getting a result.

Ah...  Details.

Well, actual details beyond "it isn't working" are something I can send
to the maintainer of the archives.  I've done that.

cgf

* RE: Cygnus
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Steve Morris
From: Steve Morris @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

Earnie Boyd writes:

 > It seems to me that most of these types of questions; ones that have
 > been answered before and can be researched from the archives, or are
 > on the FAQ; are from people who are not on the mailing list.  Because
 > of the number of questions that Mumit and others answer over and over
 > again I would like to pose an off topic question.
 >
 > Should this list become closed to members only?
 >
 > IMHO, this would give the would be questioner rules up front.  The
 > resource pointer FAQ that gets posted by Michael Weiser
 > <michael@weiser.saale-net.de> could be included in the instructions
 > that get mailed to new members.  This should cut down on the number of
 > unresearched questions.

While I sympathize with the problem I post from many mail addresses;
seldom from the one I joined the list with. I joined with my personal
mail address (where I archive etc with procmail and don't worry about
changing jobs.) and almost always post from a work account or my wives
account. Does the list server support aliases? That might solve my
problem.

I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.

Maybe we should turn the list into a newsgroup ;->.

Steve Morris
sjm@judgement.com

@ 1999-02-16 16:18           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-16 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Morris; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users, Jason Molenda

@ 1999-02-16 10:13       ` Steve Morris
       [not found]         ` < 199902161813.NAA05165@brocade.nexen.com >
From: Steve Morris @ 1999-02-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

@ 1999-02-15 21:37   ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]     ` < 19990216003738.A12301@cygnus.com >
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

@ 1999-02-15 16:00 Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 1999-02-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

@ 1999-02-15 14:20   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-15 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomstdenis; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

@ 1999-02-15 11:54 Tom St Denis
       [not found] ` < 36194654.3.28477@mx1-12.onmedia.com >
From: Tom St Denis @ 1999-02-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-15 11:47   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-15 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-15  9:10 Earnie Boyd
       [not found] ` < 19990215171038.24284.rocketmail@send105.yahoomail.com >
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

@ 1999-02-15  7:50   ` Steve Morris
From: Steve Morris @ 1999-02-15  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

@ 1999-02-15  7:32 Earnie Boyd
       [not found] ` < 19990215153239.13597.rocketmail@send106.yahoomail.com >
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

It seems to me that most of these types of questions; ones that have
been answered before and can be researched from the archives, or are
on the FAQ; are from people who are not on the mailing list.  Because
of the number of questions that Mumit and others answer over and over
again I would like to pose an off topic question.

Should this list become closed to members only?

IMHO, this would give the would be questioner rules up front.  The
resource pointer FAQ that gets posted by Michael Weiser
<michael@weiser.saale-net.de> could be included in the instructions
that get mailed to new members.  This should cut down on the number of
unresearched questions.

Regards,
Earnie.

---Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Takeshi Takayama wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience about Canadian Cross GNU building ?
> > I'm struggling with it.   Please share information.
>
> Since you don't mention what platforms you're talking about, I'm going
> to assume you're trying to build Cygwin-hosted compiler/apps from
> possibly a Unix machine.
>
> Please search the mailing list. I've provided step by step
instructions in
> the past. The most recent one was sometime end of January, 1999.
>
> To get to the search engine, visit:
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/
>
> The posting I refer to is at:
>   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1999-Jan/0572.html