* Re: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-25 10:24 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 004c01be60ee$09a84c20$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-25 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux, 'DJ Delorie', Christopher G. Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

>I wonder if that was not precisely the reason of the lack of
>contributors to cygwin. Let make a supposition: suppose Linus had put
on
>the Linux kernel (the equivalent to cygwin.dll) a copyright saying that
>*any* program run under Linux *must* be distributed in source form
under
>the GPL...

Does the GPL applies to GNUPro, which is distributed for commercial
use?

@ 1999-02-28 16:22 Christopher G. Faylor
From: Christopher G. Faylor @ 1999-02-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, smorris; +Cc: cygwin

>From: Steve Morris <smorris@nexen.com>
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:55:50 -0500 (EST)
>
>In all this discussion something important is being lost. Cris
>bemoaned the lack of development support for cygwin and asked for
>reasons. I and others tried to explain where we think the issues
>are. Inevitably this comes out sounding negative, but at least on my
>part, this is not intended. Maybe we took Cris' questions too
>literally. Flogging Cygnus was not the intent. We were trying to offer
>legitimate feedback to a legitimate question.
>
>Let me reiterate that Cygnus is clearly one of the Good Guys. The best
>guys are the Cygnus employees (like Cris) who volunteer their own time
>to this project.
>
>Many of us are rooting for Cygnus and are hoping more companies figure
>out how to make money on free software; because they then tend to give
>back. As an example gcc and gdb have been in much better shape all
>these years since Cygnus became the official release site.

Thanks very much for this positive note.

I was hoping that my original message would generate a lot of discussion
because I thought that it would give DJ and myself an opportunity to
explain something about Cygnus/Cygwin as well as providing a venue
for everyone else to provide their outlook.

It may not be obvious but I do appreciate any and all feedback on this
issue.  It certainly helps educate me on people's perception of my
company and my product.  I do want to understand what people think
about this.

That doesn't mean that I won't argue with perceptions that I think
are wrong but I certainly respect everyone's right to an opinion.

Again, thanks to you and to the handful of other people who sent me
private supportive email.  I appreciate it.

cgf

* RE: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-26  0:26 Bernard Dautrevaux
       [not found] ` < 8135911A809AD211AF6300A02480D175034922@iis000.microdata.fr >
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 1999-02-26  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'DJ Delorie', Ssiddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

So if I understand you corectly, if I *pay* it may be interesting for me
to contribute *pro-bono* to the net release? perhaps I'll negociate
discounts on my payments against my contributions? :-)

Seriously I effectively remember having noted that I may get a cygwin
release not covered by the GPL against a fee (the one thing I don't know
is "how much?"); however I think it's quite discouraging to see Cygnus,
known to be able to earn its life with free software due to its
excellent support to its high-grade customers (I think I remember
support contracts with Cygnus were quite expensive), shift to a purely
mercantile strategy: If you pay, you'll get the right to earn some money
and to use some proprietary Cygnus code and corrections that may never
be put in the net release...

Too bad for free software fate :-( or *please* explain me that I'm plain
wrong and that Cygnus is not doing anything like that...

Best regards,

		Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* RE: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-25 10:09 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 1999-02-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'DJ Delorie', cgf; +Cc: cygwin

the GPL... I'm quite sure Linux would *not* have been as successful as
it is, would had *a lot* less contributors, and would certainly *not* be
promoted now by little guys like Compaq and HP...

I would like to use cygwin, and I would certainly contribute to cygwin
(helping to solve the problems that bother me in it), but I'm not *able*
to use it (I *have* to restrain to mingw32) because I have to live from
my work and thus I have to sell my software.

How I understand free software is that I'm ready to help build powerful
free tools like cygwin, if I can use this work to earn my life. However
my boss would not allow me to spend my time on cygwin, as he cannot sold
proprietary code built with it. So I *can't* contribute, not because
cygwin is complicated (I'm myself building real-time executives and I
know what complexity is), not because someone may send my patches back
because they are not good enough (I'm sure the first one would be, or
cygwin will be a lot worse than it is), not because cygnus is a company
earning money with free software (I'd like to also).

The whole point here is these three letters: GPL; let add a 4th one (an
initial L) and it could be a lot more successful, and people that do not
think at contributing would do (at least I would probably do because, at
least for now, I will probably need to if I use it seriously).

Hope this will not start a new GPL/nonGPL flame war; GPL is fine but I
think LGPL would be a lot more appropriate for cygwin.dll.

@ 1999-02-24 13:43 Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 1999-02-24 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wonder if part of the reason that there is a lot more
participation on Linux as opposed to cygwin is that maybe most people who
use cygwin do so because there job requires use of a windows platform but
need the tool set provided by Linux/Unix.  At home on their own
time, they are much more likely to muck around with Linux than
windows/cygwin.  Just a thought.

                                    Ken

Ken
Thompson
GTRI/ELSYS/SEN
(404) 894-7089
(VOICE)
(404) 596-5995 (PAGER)
(404) 894-7080
(FAX)
ken.thompson@gtri.gatech.edu
The aspiration toward freedom is the most
essentially human of all human manifestations.

- Eric Hoffer

* Re: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-24 10:55 Steve Morris
       [not found] ` < 199902241855.NAA16459@brocade.nexen.com >
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Morris @ 1999-02-24 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:
 > It is interesting that you felt this way at first.  I wonder if the reason
 > has anything to do with the name "Cygwin" which sounds so similar to "Cygnus".
 >
 > The reason I am saying this is because hundreds of people have contributed to
 > the linux project and *many* companies make money from linux.

Actually I think you've hit on a major issue. Even though Cygnus makes
cygwin available as sourceware it is obviously a Cygnus
product. Cygnus controls the feature set. Design decisions are made by
Cygnus. People can contribute but Cygnus is the final arbitor on
design decisions and even code style.

With gcc it is different. Cygnus is the official maintainer but the
perception is that Cygnus acts more as a custodian for FSF and the
free software community. FSF owns the copyright. Redhat is another
example. Redhat doesn't own Linux. RPM is the only significant thing
that RedHat copyrights and even that makes people nervous.

On the other hand Cygwin is obviously branded. Even the mailing list
is controlled by Cygnus. The developers mailing list access is
restricted by Cygnus engineers. The official Cygwin web page is
controlled by Cygnus. The bug list is an internal Cygnus system.

Psychologically it doesn't make me feel like I would count as much as
a Cygnus engineer if I contributed. Helping Cygnus with their free
software product doesn't have the same cachet as helping Linus Torvald
with his. Linus stands first among equals partners. How can I feel
like an equal partner to a company?

I guess the issue is not companies making money on free
software. Instead the issue is companies being perceived as
controlling the software development.

Tcl is entering the same delicate state. With Ousterhout starting
Scriptics which is now the official distributor of the release people
are beginning to get nervous. The question always hovers "will
Scriptics pull Tcl in and make it a commercial product?" TclPro is
$1000 a seat. What if new development or the good extensions only
appear in TclPro? Nobody begrudges Ousterhout's right to make money on
his major contribution but still there is anxiety.

I don't envy Cygnus as it tries to walk this tightrope.

* Re: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-22 20:54 Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 1999-02-22 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Zmola, DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

I agree, at first I was hesitant to try it, cause I thought it was
copyrighted, or whatever.... Anyways, I am not a big software
developer, but I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks to all who have contributed.  If I ever have the time,
patience, and enough know-how I will contrib something.  But I  doubt
that will happen any time soon.

Tom

* Re: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-22 13:00 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

>> Their product does not depend on Cygwin, but it does provide
>> switches to use Cygwin headers and libraries for porting purposes.
>> The fact is they got a commercial F77 and F90 which can use Cygwin
>> headers and libraries, makes it a really attractive product.
>
>In that case, it still acts to mkae cygwin more popular, which
>hopefully means that more people will use it in general, etc.

Absolutely true.  I guess PGi is the only product right now which offers
Cygwin compability, with F77/F90 and HPF for single and multiprocessors
machines.

That was the reason i decided to go for it.  To be honest G77 still lags
behind a normal F77 compiler.

* Re: Cygwin participation threshold
@ 1999-02-22  9:10 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 008401be5e87$f1dcd510$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-22  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, Paul Sokolovsky; +Cc: cygwin

>> Hopefully, that's what you wanted - to give people a nice tool,
>
>I think it would be more accurate to replace "give" with "share with".
>
>As a bit of history, Cygnus had a purely business reason to create
>cygwin.  Doing so let us host our tools on 95/NT platforms, which
>meant more customers (i.e. more money).  AFAIK, releasing cygwin to
>the net had two reasons: the first philosophical, in that we like to
>share; and the second practical, in that the more people using cygwin
>the more paid support contracts we'll get.

What about third party products. For example PGI Workstation comes
bundle with
Cygwin. It uses better commercial compilers and one has a choice to use
GCC/G77
or PGCC/PG77/PGF90 etc.  Who gets the *paid support* in that case?
I am just a bit curious!

Regards
Suhaib

* Re: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files
@ 1999-02-19  6:36 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-19  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sokolovsky, cygwin

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 06:38:46PM +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>    Bad thing is that issue very minor. People might don't care what
>line-endings text files have, they might don't care that there's
>notepad and bat files. And when their favorite vi chokes on that \r at
>the end (or beginning? ;-) ) of line they might teach him chop it -
>after all, that's not notepad. But they might think that wrapping each
>command piping binary files in shell script setting CYGWIN (having
>spent some nice time trying to understand why their files are
>corrupted and asking maillist why this bug) is too awkward.

Actually, as far as pipes are concerned, they default to binmode
unless overridden by CYGWIN so this should not be an issue.

>   Of course, that far too imaganable picture, just like my previous
>massage has, just like several years ago cygwin itself was only
>imaganable. I don't believe that things enpictured by me will be, or
>even should be, done to cygwin. I just wanted to hyperbolize it,
>showing that changing itself is not an edge alternative, all
>determained by ammount of changes, and there might be the golden mean,
>exactly what you'll do. (That's just because I have a ho that Cygnus
>guys quite conservative - I remember Christopher Faylor's hesitating
>in cygwin-developer whether correcting bug won't break user (or
>customer) code. Maybe you, Corinna, as leading contributor, and DJ, as
>author of alternative approach, and working for Cygnus, have other
>opinions).

I have no idea what, specifically, you are referring to but it is
interesting that you find it "quite conservative" to consider caring
about breaking somebody's code.  You are probably referring to my
soliciting of opinions on the subject of breaking API compatibility
with a new cygwin DLL.  This was obviously a subject which deserved
careful consideration and it was something that I was willing to do.
In fact, it is something that *will* occur in a future release.

Regardless, if you look at the ChangeLog in the last year, you'll find
that I'm the author of a lot of radical changes in Cygwin.

I am not at all opposed to the idea of somebody fixing ftell/fseek
to work as Microsoft has documented them or as DJGPP has currently
implemented things.  I've written a stdio layer myself and I know
that this is not a trivial undertaking, though.  Certainly no
one at Cygnus has the time right now to undertake this.

Currently, Corinna, Mumit, and a couple of other people are the only
outside contributers to the project.  Everyone else seems to be in
"Cygwin doesn't work the way I think it should when I run program X.
Here's the error message." mode.

I'm collecting the error messages and hope to investigate problems but
the reality is that this is a volunteer effort for DJ and me.  Our
real jobs don't offer much time for tracking down net problems.

-chris