* Re: How To: Re: LessTif build under Cygwin32?
@ 1999-02-03  4:06 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-03  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

>is it right that the lesstif precompiled library on www.lesstif.org is
>about 12 MB in space? May the code be reduced by stripping of the
debugging
>details for faster download?

OK, I will as soon as I get time.

@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin users

Earnie,

>8<
>> The LessTif-0.87 precompiled library will work properly only if you
>have
>> your
>> disks mounted as binary i.e. mount -b c: /
>8<
>
>Too bad.  That means someone else will have to properly port this
>library.  It isn't hard really to take care of this problem by
>correctly being specific about how to process a file.

What I mentioned was to port do a binary mount during compilation of
LessTif library.
After lkibrary has been compiled, it does work perfectly Ok, under TEXT
mount.
Sorry for the confusion.

Suhaib

* Re: How To: Re: LessTif build under Cygwin32?
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* Re: How To: Re: LessTif build under Cygwin32?
@ 1999-02-02 18:44 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-02-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin users

@ 1999-02-02  5:44 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-02  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin users

Earnie,

@ 1999-01-31 23:52 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon A. Christopher, Stipe Tolj
  Cc: tromey, Francois Felix Ingrand, Kilfoyle, Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32

>> However, I'm very sad that the mounting points have to be binary. We
keep
>> usualy the aim to avoid binary mounts on Cygwin for our ports. May
this be
>> solved?
>
>I have no idea what this means.

If you plan to develop and not use binary mount point,  I would say,
that
expect a lot of pars errors and troublesome compilations.

Cygnus is based upon a simulated UNIX environment and doing a default
TEXT mount of a disk, is not really a proper way.  Beside, COOLVIEW
should be used
with binary mounts.  Read the Binary mount article at Sergey's web page.

I assume a lot of compilation failure which Cygwin32 users are reporting
are due to
configuration problems.

The LessTif-0.87 precompiled library will work properly only if you have
your
disks mounted as binary i.e. mount -b c: /
The distrubtion which I sent to Jon Christopher has libXlt.a missing.
However, I have sent him a
separate archive containg libXlt.a with headers and DLLs for
LessTif-0.871.  I think he will make it available
through www.lesstif.org.

The LessTif-0.87 librareis were tested and worked in my hand to compile
the following MOTIF based source codes:

Nedit-5.021
Xgraber
DDD Debuger 3.1.3
Mxdbg Debugger
SM Edit.
and few of my own source code.

Have fun.

Suhaib

-

* Re: How To: Re: LessTif build under Cygwin32?
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi
  Cc: Jon A. Christopher, tromey, Rick Scott, Francois Felix Ingrand,
	Kilfoyle, Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32, automake

Hi Suhaib,

thanks for the offer in sending in the lesstiff binaries and patches. Please
mail them to stolj@ernie.mi.uni-koeln.de which is more close to the
www.student.uni-koeln.de site than my normal email account.

@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin users

---"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> wrote:
8<
> If you plan to develop and not use binary mount point,  I would say,
> that
> expect a lot of pars errors and troublesome compilations.

8<

I use text mounts for all compilations.  The only problems I have are
with programs that aren't properly ported.  It should not be a
requirement to do something special with the \r\n file endings.  Many
at Cygnus have stated that they also use text mounts.

Any program having a problem with \r\n files is not properly ported.
You should always specify the mode of operation for the file.  If it
is a text file that humans read or write then specify the "t" or the
_O_TEXT macro for the [f]open modes.  Otherwise specify the "b" or the
_O_BINARY macro.

To do otherwise is to cause problems elsewhere.  You'll always be
translating files from \r\n to \n format.  This is not what I want to
spend my time doing, how about you?

8<
> Cygnus is based upon a simulated UNIX environment and doing a default
> TEXT mount of a disk, is not really a proper way.  Beside, COOLVIEW
> should be used
> with binary mounts.  Read the Binary mount article at Sergey's web
page.
8<

I suggest the one in the FAQ.

8<
> The LessTif-0.87 precompiled library will work properly only if you
have
> your
> disks mounted as binary i.e. mount -b c: /
8<

Too bad.  That means someone else will have to properly port this
library.  It isn't hard really to take care of this problem by
correctly being specific about how to process a file.

==
-                        \\||//

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj
  Cc: Jon A. Christopher, tromey, Rick Scott, Francois Felix Ingrand,
	Kilfoyle, Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32, automake

Stipe,
I cannot send you precompiled LessTif 0.87 libraries right now.
I use Cygnus only to create Makef ile and test the configuration files.
For the final compilation I use PGI commercial compilers.  Therefore,
the
compiled Cygnus/LessTif binaries were desrtroyed. However, I do have
configuration files in-tact yet to recreat them again.

However, I will be able to send you a precompiled LessTif 0.87 next
week.  All, I have to do is to run a "make
clean" then "make" commands to rebuild them.

Here are some MUST which users can follow to compile LessTif 0.87
themselves.

1) X11R6.4 installation is required.  Compile it yourself or download it
from
Andy Piper's or Sergey's web sites.

2) The hard drives must be monuted in binary mode otherwise
configuration files
will fail.  Users must use Sergey's COOLVIEW.  Cygwin1.lib out of Cygnus
distribution
gives problems.
Als, use EGCS-1.1.1 from Mumit Khan.  The GCC in Cygnus distribution
gives problems, somtimes.

3) Lesstif-current.tar.gz source code must be extracted on a binary
mounted disk
using tar zxvf lesstif-current.tar.gz.  Do not use anyother utility to
extract the source
code otherwise you will have a pars errors mess during compilation.

4) Go to Lesstif-current source directory and edit "configure" script.
Search for the
line LD='$ac_cv_path".
Change it to LD="/usr/cygnus-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe" (repalce it
with your correct path)
Use only VI editor (no vanila Microsoft Note pad please)

5) Go to Xlt directory and edit the "configure" script.
Search for the
line LD='$ac_cv_path".
Change it to LD="/usr/cygnus-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe" (repalce it
with your correct path)
Use only VI editor (no vanila Microsoft Note pad please)

6) Go to Lesstif/test subdirectory and
Search for the
line LD='$ac_cv_path".
Change it to LD="/usr/cygnus-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe" (repalce it
with your correct path)
Use only VI editor (no vanila Microsoft Note pad please)

7) Now run the "configure" script with the following command

./configure --prefix=/lesstif/dist --x-includes=/usr/cygwin-b20/X11R6/in
clude --x-libraries=/usr/cygwin-b20/X11R6/lib --target=H-i586-cygwin32 -
-enable-shared=yes --enable-static=yes

Note: Repace /usr/cygwin-b20 according to your system path for Cygnus
B-20.1 installation.  I have it installed under
/usr/cygwin-b20 on my system, because I am still using B-19 too.

8) Now run the make" command and LessTif should compile, under
Cygnus-B-20.1
----
Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D.
Senior Research Chemist
Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
4222 Emperor Blvd., Suite 470
Durham, NC 27703-8466

Tel: 919-941-9777 Ext. 238
Fax: 919-941-9797
E-Mail: Ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
http://www.inspirepharm.com

============================

@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Rick Scott
From: Rick Scott @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi
  Cc: Stipe Tolj, Jon A. Christopher, tromey, Francois Felix Ingrand,
	Kilfoyle, Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32, automake

What ld does configure find without all the editing.

You should be able to set the evironment variable LD to whatever you want
before you run configure, and it should use that.  Should be easier than
editing files.

I would like to fix it so that it "configures out of the box".

@ 1999-01-31 23:52   ` Jon A. Christopher
From: Jon A. Christopher @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj
  Cc: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, tromey, Francois Felix Ingrand, Kilfoyle,
	Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32

Stipe,

You wrote:

> thanks for the offer in sending in the lesstiff binaries and patches. Please
> mail them to stolj@ernie.mi.uni-koeln.de which is more close to the
> www.student.uni-koeln.de site than my normal email account.

Binaries for LessTif 0.87 Cygwin32 are now at:

     ftp://lesstif.org/pub/hungry/lesstif/bindist

> However, I'm very sad that the mounting points have to be binary. We keep
> usualy the aim to avoid binary mounts on Cygwin for our ports. May this be
> solved?

I have no idea what this means.

-Jon

--
Dr. Jon A. Christopher              / jac8792@tamu.edu |  Project URLs:
Department of Biochem./Biophys.    /  spock: http://quorum.tamu.edu/spock

-

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Scott
  Cc: Stipe Tolj, Jon A. Christopher, tromey, Francois Felix Ingrand,
	Kilfoyle, Greg, lesstif, gnu-win32, automake

Yes, It should be able to find if you set LD before runing configure,
But does not.

It kept failing with error message "no acceptable ld found in $PATH"

By manually editing the configure script, it find it and works.

Suhaib
----

@ 1999-01-31  3:59 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-01-31  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)