* Re: B20.1: how to build for MinGW32?
@ 1999-03-07 11:06 Kai-Uwe Rommel
       [not found] ` < C125672D.00688D51.00@abraham.ars.de >
From: Kai-Uwe Rommel @ 1999-03-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote on 7.3.1999 19:08:28:

> > Since I can't find notes about that in the docs, here is my
> > question: what is the official way of recompiling the code for
> > MinGW32?
>
> Mingw doesn't provide a posix emulation, so I wouldn't expect GNU
> tools to build with it.  I think our expectation is that the
> development tools would always be built with cygwin, and would
> cross-compile to mingw.

So how do I cross-compile with CygWin to MinGW32? I finally managed
to get the thing compiled, but after "configure" I had to add
-mno-cygwin manually to the Makefile's "CC = gcc" statements and
also had to manually edit some config.h files.

Probably I already have to tell "configure" to use -mno-cygwin, but
how? I am still not all too familiar with CygWin and configure ...

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel                   ARS Computer & Consulting GmbH *
 * rommel@ars.de ( http://www.ars.de )             Muenchen, Germany *

@ 1999-03-07 21:30   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai-Uwe Rommel; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

"Kai-Uwe Rommel" <rommel@ars.de> writes:

> DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote on 7.3.1999 19:08:28:
> >
> > > Since I can't find notes about that in the docs, here is my
> > > question: what is the official way of recompiling the code for
> > > MinGW32?
> >
> > Mingw doesn't provide a posix emulation, so I wouldn't expect GNU
> > tools to build with it.  I think our expectation is that the
> > development tools would always be built with cygwin, and would
> > cross-compile to mingw.
>
> So how do I cross-compile with CygWin to MinGW32? I finally managed
> to get the thing compiled, but after "configure" I had to add
> -mno-cygwin manually to the Makefile's "CC = gcc" statements and
> also had to manually edit some config.h files.
>
> Probably I already have to tell "configure" to use -mno-cygwin, but
> how? I am still not all too familiar with CygWin and configure ...

Have you looked at my howto for building mingw cross compiler? That may
answer your question.

See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

I've never tried building under cygwin, but in theory it should work just
as well as under Linux or other well supported Unix'y hosts.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: B20.1: how to build for MinGW32?
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai-Uwe Rommel; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Kai-Uwe Rommel
From: Kai-Uwe Rommel @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rommel; +Cc: cygwin

       [not found] ` < C125672D.005EA18F.00@abraham.ars.de >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Kai-Uwe Rommel
From: Kai-Uwe Rommel @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am trying to rebuild the binary utilities of B20.1 (see my

While I can run configure and recompile the binary utilities
(and libiberty, bfd and intl which are needed, too) with
CygWin without significant problems, I can't see how I can
recompile the binary utilities for MinGW32.

I found the -mno-cygwin32 option but when I attempt to compile with
that, I already fail in libiberty.

@ 1999-03-07 10:08   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-07 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rommel; +Cc: cygwin