* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-24 18:30 Richard Lyon
       [not found] ` < 000301be7657$e6d0d2b0$abb56ccb@rlyon >
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-24 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

See comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
To: rlyon01@ozemail.com.au <rlyon01@ozemail.com.au>
Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Date: Tuesday, 23 March 1999 7:36
Subject: Re: mount command

>You're using bash's builtin mkdir (or cygwin's mkdir.exe), and it's
>using the mount table.  You need to use MS's shell so it won't know
>about the mount table.

OK, I tried doing it from explorer, the MS command prompt and bash.
After mounting the partition, the mount point works correctly for things
like -I option in gcc and cygpath. So I believe I have done the correct
thing. It's the
find command that doesn't work. I even get stranger results if I attempt
something like mount D:/topdirectory /home. Find generates the following
output:

find: /home/filename: No such file or directory

for every file in topdirectory.

I have 20.1 installed.

Luckily it does appear I can use cygpath in install script to cope with
these problems.
It converts the paths correctly to win32 format which work with find and
tcl.

I consider this sort of behaviour as a bug. Before I consider filing a bug
report or maybe
trying to fix it, has anyone managed to get find to work across mounted
partitions?

Cheers ....

* Re: mount command
       [not found] ` < 000301be7657$e6d0d2b0$abb56ccb@rlyon >
@ 1999-03-24 20:49   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lyon; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:37:47AM +1000, Richard Lyon wrote:
>See comments below:

When you said:

mount d:/topdirectory /home

was the operation silent or did mount display some words?  If mount
displayed something, what did it say?

I still get the feeling that you are not performing the simple operation
that DJ has asked you to do:

c:\> mkdir c:\home

You don't use the Cygwin mkdir to do this.  You use the mkdir that's
builtin to the command shell.

cgf

* Re: mount command
       [not found] ` < 000301be7657$e6d0d2b0$abb56ccb@rlyon >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Richard Lyon
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

See comments below:

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lyon; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

> > > find command that doesn't work. I even get stranger results if I
> > attempt
> > > something like mount D:/topdirectory /home. Find generates the
> > following
> > > output:
> > --8<--
> >
> > You need to use the backslash on the physical directory name.  I.E.:
> >
> > mount D:\\topdirectory /home
> >

> > I know from experience that it doesn't work with the forward slash.
> [Andrew Dalgleish]
> huh?
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ mkdir /foo /bar
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ mount c:/temp /foo
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ mount c:\\temp /bar
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ mount
> Device           Directory           Type        Flags
> c:\temp          /foo                native      text!=binary
> c:\temp          /bar                native      text!=binary
> U:               /                   native      text=binary
> Both mounts look the same to me, and the relevant registry entries are
> the same.
> This is for cygwin B20.1 running under NT4SP3 and Win98.
> Am I missing something?

Oops, sorry.  mount c:/temp /foo does work.
However, `mount c:\\ /c; mount /c/temp /tmp' does not.

===
-                        \\||//

* Re: mount command
       [not found] ` < 007c01be74b8$9fc40220$7c1c6ccb@rlyon >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Richard Lyon
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

See comments below:

From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rlyon01; +Cc: cygwin

> For example, I have cygwin installed on a primary partition C. A second
> extended partition D is mounted using 'mount d:/ /home' . When I issue a
> command like 'find / -name file -print' , only C is searched. Surely drive D
> should be searched also?

Did you create a c:\home directory before you did the mount?  Having
that empty directory on the parent drive makes a big difference in how
well some commands work, which is why mount warns you about them.

> If I try and use a file specification like /home/user01/filex.xbm in tcl
> code, it does not work. I must always use d:/user01/filex.xbm . This breaks
> a lot of code. I really don't want to add conversions in all my code.

TCL itself doesn't use cygwin for stuff like that.  It goes right to
the Win32 calls, so you have to do conversions all over the place.

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Paul Berrevoets
From: Paul Berrevoets @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lyon; +Cc: cygwin

Richard Lyon wrote:

> Has anyone else used cygwin with two partitions and attempted to mount
> the second partition? Do the find command work correctly?

My installation exhibits that same problems as yours.
bash$ cd /
bash$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
E:\cygnus        /cygnus             native      text!=binary
C:               /                   native      text!=binary
bash$ find / -name bash.exe
find: /cygnus/cygwin-b20: No such file or directory
bash$
--
Paul

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Richard Lyon
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

This is exactly what I have done:

Activate NT command prompt and then enter the following command 'mkdir
c:\home'.

Start bash shell and enter the command mount. The following output is
displayed:

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
C:               /                   native      text!=binary

Now I want to mount drive D: and set the mountpoint as /home. So we follow
the
instructions in the user manual and enter the command 'mount d:\ /home'. The
command fails and some verbage is displayed about how to use mount. OK, so
the examples in the user manual are wrong.

Enter the command 'mount D:/ /home'. The command completes with no verbage
displayed. To check enter the command 'mount'. The following is displayed:

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
D:               /home               native      text!=binary
C:               /                   native      text!=binary

OK, so I created the directory home first and then issued the mount. This
is the correct procedure. I can run make files which use the prefix /home
and code is compiled correctly. Listing directories using the prefix /home
works. Commands like 'cd', 'pwd' and 'cygpath' use the prefix correctly.
I think the mount operation has been successful.

However, issuing 'find / -name AfileOnD -print' only will search C drive,
not D drive. Surely the problem lies with the find command.

I think the user documentation about mount is slightly wrong about the
use of backslashes in the mount command line. What I have done seems to
work, with the only exception the find command.

Has anyone else used cygwin with two partitions and attempted to mount
the second partition? Do the find command work correctly?

>On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:37:47AM +1000, Richard Lyon wrote:
>>See comments below:

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lyon, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Andrew Dalgleish
From: Andrew Dalgleish @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rlyon01; +Cc: cygwin

> umount /home        (hopefully this will clean out the reg)
> rm -r /home
> Exit from cygwin and start it again

No, exit from cygwin and STAY OUT.  Use the regular ms-dos window
(cmd.exe) to make the c:\home directory

> cd /temp
> mkdir c:\home
>
> Whoops it created it in c:/temp.

Yup, because you're in bash and '\' is an escape character, not a
directory separator.

From: Andrew Dalgleish @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

snip
> Oops, sorry.  mount c:/temp /foo does work.
> However, `mount c:\\ /c; mount /c/temp /tmp' does not.
[Andrew Dalgleish]
That's because /c/temp is not a dos path

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Robbe Stewart
From: Robbe Stewart @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Similarly, to mount a network drive, use:

mount \\\\net1\\share\\export1 /home/otherstuff

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Richard Lyon <rlyon01@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> --8<--
> > find command that doesn't work. I even get stranger results if I attempt
> > something like mount D:/topdirectory /home. Find generates the following
> > output:
> --8<--
>
> You need to use the backslash on the physical directory name.  I.E.:
>
> mount D:\\topdirectory /home
>
> I know from experience that it doesn't work with the forward slash.

--
Robbe WT Stewart	mailto:rstewart@sydac.com.au
Software Engineer	61+ 8 8239 2333

* Re: mount command
       [not found] ` < 006c01be74b2$6d993370$7c1c6ccb@rlyon >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Richard Lyon
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

See comments below:

>Did you create a c:\home directory before you did the mount?  Having
>that empty directory on the parent drive makes a big difference in how
>well some commands work, which is why mount warns you about them.

Yes I did. If I type a command like 'ls /home', it displays the directory
contents.

>TCL itself doesn't use cygwin for stuff like that.  It goes right to
>the Win32 calls, so you have to do conversions all over the place.

OK, this is what I was looking for. To add the conversions is not such a big
deal.

We are porting the discrete-event simulator omnet++ from linux. It's a
mixture of c++ and tcl,
so hopefully I can do the conversions from posix to win in c++ using the
cygwin api.

Pity about find. The omnet++ install script uses find to locate various
system components.

Thanks for the response.

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rlyon01; +Cc: cygwin

> Yes I did. If I type a command like 'ls /home', it displays the directory
> contents.

Right.  stat() can find it, but readdir() can't.  Try making the
c:\home directory.

* mount command
       [not found] ` < 005a01be74ac$4b9d27a0$7c1c6ccb@rlyon >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Richard Lyon
From: Richard Lyon @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

There seems to be some shortcomings in the way the mount command works.

For example, I have cygwin installed on a primary partition C. A second
extended partition D is mounted using 'mount d:/ /home' . When I issue a
command like 'find / -name file -print' , only C is searched. Surely drive D
should be searched also?

If I try and use a file specification like /home/user01/filex.xbm in tcl
code, it does not work. I must always use d:/user01/filex.xbm . This breaks
a lot of code. I really don't want to add conversions in all my code.

Is mount this limited?

Regards ...

* Re: mount command
@ 1999-03-29  7:51 ` Paul Berrevoets
From: Paul Berrevoets @ 1999-03-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lyon; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-26 14:56 Richard Lyon

>On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:37:47AM +1000, Richard Lyon wrote:
>>See comments below:

* RE: mount command
@ 1999-03-25 20:35 Andrew Dalgleish
From: Andrew Dalgleish @ 1999-03-25 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)