* Re: strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-03-04  5:56 Earnie Boyd
       [not found] ` < 19990304135705.27427.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com >
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-04  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

---Michael Hirmke <mh@mike.franken.de> wrote:

> Sebastien Barre [Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr] wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Device           Directory           Type        Flags
> >D:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
> >d:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20\etc /etc                native
text!=binary
> >D:               /d                  native      text!=binary
> >D:\devel\gnuwin32\root /                   native      text!=binary
>
> To avoid problems, you shouldn't mount directories from the same
> partition, if it isn't absolutely nescessary.
> Instead use
>
> Device                       Directory     Type        Flags
> D:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20 /             native      text!=binary
>
> and then
> ln -s //d/temp /tmp
>
> and use //d/ instead of /d
8<

Why do you give this warning?  I don't have problems with have more
than one mount on the same device.
==
-                        \\||//

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
       [not found] ` < 19990304135705.27427.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-03-04  8:10   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-04  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 05:57:05AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>---Michael Hirmke <mh@mike.franken.de> wrote:
>> Sebastien Barre [Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr] wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >Device           Directory           Type        Flags
>> >D:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
>> >d:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20\etc /etc                native
>text!=binary
>> >D:               /d                  native      text!=binary
>> >D:\devel\gnuwin32\root /                   native      text!=binary
>>
>> To avoid problems, you shouldn't mount directories from the same
>> partition, if it isn't absolutely nescessary.
>> Instead use
>>
>> Device                       Directory     Type        Flags
>> D:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20 /             native      text!=binary
>>
>> and then
>> ln -s //d/temp /tmp
>>
>> and use //d/ instead of /d
>
>Why do you give this warning?  I don't have problems with have more
>than one mount on the same device.

Ditto.

cgf

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
       [not found] ` < 19990304135705.27427.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-03-04 15:14   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-04 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Earnie,

[...]
>> To avoid problems, you shouldn't mount directories from the same
>> partition, if it isn't absolutely nescessary.
[...]
>Why do you give this warning?  I don't have problems with have more
>than one mount on the same device.

I had trouble with the find command giving "no such file or directory"
messages, if I have more than one mount from the same partition.
Others reported this behaviour, too, and confirmed, that it went
away, when they used links instead of mounts.
Here are my messages regarding the find problem:

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------
Hi *,

anyone able to tell me, why this happens with find:

MIKE-[/usr]_$ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   6 544      DomAdmin        0 Dec  7 22:43 cygwin-b20/
drwxr-xr-x   2 544      DomAdmin        0 Dec  7 22:57 info/
drwxr-xr-x  10 544      DomAdmin        0 Dec  6 01:25 local/
drwxr-xr-x   6 544      DomAdmin        0 Dec  7 22:58 man/
drwxr-xr-x   3 544      DomAdmin        0 Dec  6 01:27 spool/
MIKE-[/usr]_$find . -name "frcode"
find: ./cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32: No such file or directory
find: ./cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib: No such file or directory
find: ./cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/libexec: No such file or directory
find: ./cygwin-b20/include: No such file or directory
find: ./cygwin-b20/share: No such file or directory
find: ./cygwin-b20/Uninst.isu: No such file or directory
find: ./info: No such file or directory
find: ./local: No such file or directory
find: ./man: No such file or directory
find: ./spool: No such file or directory

Why does find say, "No such ..." ?
Btw. this happens with the original B20.1 .dll and also with Corinna's
tape aware library.
------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------
Hi,

I could solve the problem with find, I reported here recently.
At least I found a work around for me.
Perhaps you can take it as a bug report, too ?!?

It was a problem with my mount table.
I had a mount table like this:

C:                                     /                native  text=binary
c:\Entw\Perl                           /Programme/Perl  native  text=binary
c:\usr\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin             native  text=binary
d:                                     /d               native  text=binary
\\.\tape0                              /dev/nst0        native  text=binary
\\.\tape0                              /dev/st0         native  text=binary
e:                                     /e               native  text=binary
c:\usr\local\etc                       /etc             native  text=binary
z:                                     /home            native  text=binary
d:\var                                 /var             native  text=binary

As you can see, besides the necessary mount for c: -> / there are two
other mounts for directories on the same drive -
c:\Entw\Perl and c:\usr\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin !
I replaced them with symbolic links and everything started to work as
expected.
So I suppose, Cygwin gets confused, when it has to handle more than one
mount for the the same partition or the partition's directories.

Any comments on this ?
------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

There were no comments on this to sched some light on the problem,
though.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
       [not found] ` < 19990304135705.27427.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Earnie,

[...]

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sebastien Barre [Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr] wrote:

[...]
>Device           Directory           Type        Flags
>D:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
>d:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20\etc /etc                native      text!=binary
>D:               /d                  native      text!=binary
>D:\devel\gnuwin32\root /                   native      text!=binary

To avoid problems, you shouldn't mount directories from the same
partition, if it isn't absolutely nescessary.
Instead use

Device                       Directory     Type        Flags
D:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20 /             native      text!=binary

and then
ln -s //d/temp /tmp

and use //d/ instead of /d

>Sebastien Barre                  http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/

Bye.
Michael.
--

       [not found]                       ` < 7wsobw8gql.fsf@sandra.lysator.liu.se >
@ 1999-03-03 13:25                       ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 06:48:09AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >---Sebastien Barre <Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr> wrote:
> >8<
> >> Could anyone explain me why mounting D: ou D:/ ou d:/ to /d produce
> >these
> >> artefacts ? Doing the same thing with C: ou E: will NOT cause any
> >problem.
> >> Is it impossible to mount the drive where cygwin is located ?
> >Installing
> >> coolview did not help too. As well as binary mount.
> >8<
> >
> >This is a known bug with the mount filesystem emulation and relative
> >[...]
> >This may have been fixed in recent snapshots.  I know that Geoff Noer
> >[...]
>
> I don't think this has been fixed, actually.
>
> Corrinna submitted a patch that deleted about fifteen lines of code and
> caused the correct behavior to miraculously appear but I've been sort of
> nervous about applying the patch because I'm not sure what other
> ramifications there may be.

Let's test it again with the recent snapshots. If you would be so kind,
to publish the patch again (I have erased it by mistake), you, me and,
hopefully, others could test the patch locally for one or two weeks in
their local environment. This should let you easier attach or reject the
patch.

Regards,
Corinna

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 06:48:09AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>---Sebastien Barre <Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr> wrote:
>8<
>> Could anyone explain me why mounting D: ou D:/ ou d:/ to /d produce
>these
>> artefacts ? Doing the same thing with C: ou E: will NOT cause any
>problem.
>> Is it impossible to mount the drive where cygwin is located ?
>Installing
>> coolview did not help too. As well as binary mount.
>8<
>
>This is a known bug with the mount filesystem emulation and relative
>paths.  When you do `ls d' you are actually displaying the contents of
>the mount point directory which is empty even on UNIX.  When you do
>`ls /d' the emulation resolves correctly and you see the contents of d:.
>
>This may have been fixed in recent snapshots.  I know that Geoff Noer
>reworked the code for the mounted directories.  Caution, using
>snapshots may cause other problems as snapshots aren't tested.  Please
>read the change log to find out what has changed.

I don't think this has been fixed, actually.

Corrinna submitted a patch that deleted about fifteen lines of code and
caused the correct behavior to miraculously appear but I've been sort of
nervous about applying the patch because I'm not sure what other
ramifications there may be.

cgf

* strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-28 23:02                     ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, sorry to post another naive question, but here is a sequence of
reproducible commands that lead to something very obscure to me : mounting
D: (the disk where cygwin and my root is located) seems to invalid some
internal behaviours (well, let's say some illogical things appear :)

Here it is. I just installed B20.1,

> GNUWIN32=d:/devel/gnuwin32; export GNUWIN32
> CYGROOT=${GNUWIN32}/cygwin-b20; export CYGROOT

- create some directories for a kind of filesystem

> cd ${GNUWIN32}
> mkdir root
> cd root
> mkdir tmp etc d

- mount

> umount /
> mount ${GNUWIN32}/root /
> mount D:/temp /tmp
> mount ${CYGROOT}/etc /etc

No pb until now, for example, let's have a look at /etc (two times)  :

> cd /
> ls
d/ etc/ tmp/
> ls etc
termcap
> ls /etc
termcap

Now here is the funny part :

> mount D: /d
> ls etc
> ls d

!! nothing !!

> ls /etc
termcap
> cd /etc
> ls
termcap

!! now here they are, '/etc' works, 'etc' does not !!

> cd ..
> ls d
> ls /d
autoexec.bat config.sys
... etc.

Could anyone explain me why mounting D: ou D:/ ou d:/ to /d produce these
artefacts ? Doing the same thing with C: ou E: will NOT cause any problem.
Is it impossible to mount the drive where cygwin is located ? Installing
coolview did not help too. As well as binary mount.

Thanks

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-28 23:02                           ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levon Saldamli; +Cc: cygwin

At 07:20 24/02/99 +0100, Levon Saldamli wrote:
>Sebastien Barre <Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr> writes:

>> > mount D: /d
>> > ls etc
>> > ls d
>>
>> !! nothing !!
>>
>> > ls /etc
>> termcap

>It is a good idea to check (and paste it with the other things) what
>your pwd is here. Just to be sure :)

at that point :

/

       [not found] ` < 19990224144809.15898.rocketmail@send105.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Barre; +Cc: cygwin users

@ 1999-02-28 23:02                       ` Levon Saldamli
From: Levon Saldamli @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Barre; +Cc: cygwin

Sebastien Barre <Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr> writes:

> > mount D: /d
> > ls etc
> > ls d
>
> !! nothing !!
>
> > ls /etc
> termcap

It is a good idea to check (and paste it with the other things) what
your pwd is here. Just to be sure :)

> > cd /etc
> > ls
> termcap

/Levon Saldamli.

> Well, sorry to post another naive question, but here is a sequence of
> reproducible commands that lead to something very obscure to me : mounting
> D: (the disk where cygwin and my root is located) seems to invalid some
> internal behaviours (well, let's say some illogical things appear :)
>
> Here it is. I just installed B20.1,
>
> > GNUWIN32=d:/devel/gnuwin32; export GNUWIN32
> > CYGROOT=${GNUWIN32}/cygwin-b20; export CYGROOT
>
> - create some directories for a kind of filesystem
>
> > cd ${GNUWIN32}
> > mkdir root
> > cd root
> > mkdir tmp etc d
>
> - mount
>
> > umount /
> > mount ${GNUWIN32}/root /
> > mount D:/temp /tmp
> > mount ${CYGROOT}/etc /etc
>
> No pb until now, for example, let's have a look at /etc (two times)  :
>
> > cd /
> > ls
> d/ etc/ tmp/
> > ls etc
> termcap
> > ls /etc
> termcap
>
> Now here is the funny part :
>
> > mount D: /d
> > ls etc
> > ls d
>
> !! nothing !!
>
> > ls /etc
> termcap
> > cd /etc
> > ls
> termcap
>
> !! now here they are, '/etc' works, 'etc' does not !!
>
> > cd ..
> > ls d
> > ls /d
> autoexec.bat config.sys
> ... etc.
>
> Could anyone explain me why mounting D: ou D:/ ou d:/ to /d produce these
> artefacts ? Doing the same thing with C: ou E: will NOT cause any problem.
> Is it impossible to mount the drive where cygwin is located ? Installing
> coolview did not help too. As well as binary mount.
>
> Thanks

/Levon Saldamli

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-25 13:54     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-02-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-24 11:49   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-02-24 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-02-24  6:48 Earnie Boyd
       [not found] ` < 19990224144809.15898.rocketmail@send105.yahoomail.com >
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-02-24  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Barre; +Cc: cygwin users

@ 1999-02-24  0:59                         ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-24  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levon Saldamli; +Cc: cygwin

/
> mount

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
D:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
d:\devel\gnuwin32\cygwin-b20\etc /etc                native      text!=binary
D:               /d                  native      text!=binary
D:\devel\gnuwin32\root /                   native      text!=binary

* Re: strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-24  0:08                     ` Levon Saldamli
       [not found]                       ` < 7wsobw8gql.fsf@sandra.lysator.liu.se >
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Levon Saldamli @ 1999-02-24  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Barre; +Cc: cygwin

Sebastien Barre <Sebastien.Barre@utc.fr> writes:

> > mount D: /d
> > ls etc
> > ls d
>
> !! nothing !!
>
> > ls /etc
> termcap

It is a good idea to check (and paste it with the other things) what
your pwd is here. Just to be sure :)

> > cd /etc
> > ls
> termcap

/Levon Saldamli.

> Well, sorry to post another naive question, but here is a sequence of
> reproducible commands that lead to something very obscure to me : mounting
> D: (the disk where cygwin and my root is located) seems to invalid some
> internal behaviours (well, let's say some illogical things appear :)
>
> Here it is. I just installed B20.1,
>
> > GNUWIN32=d:/devel/gnuwin32; export GNUWIN32
> > CYGROOT=${GNUWIN32}/cygwin-b20; export CYGROOT
>
> - create some directories for a kind of filesystem
>
> > cd ${GNUWIN32}
> > mkdir root
> > cd root
> > mkdir tmp etc d
>
> - mount
>
> > umount /
> > mount ${GNUWIN32}/root /
> > mount D:/temp /tmp
> > mount ${CYGROOT}/etc /etc
>
> No pb until now, for example, let's have a look at /etc (two times)  :
>
> > cd /
> > ls
> d/ etc/ tmp/
> > ls etc
> termcap
> > ls /etc
> termcap
>
> Now here is the funny part :
>
> > mount D: /d
> > ls etc
> > ls d
>
> !! nothing !!
>
> > ls /etc
> termcap
> > cd /etc
> > ls
> termcap
>
> !! now here they are, '/etc' works, 'etc' does not !!
>
> > cd ..
> > ls d
> > ls /d
> autoexec.bat config.sys
> ... etc.
>
> Could anyone explain me why mounting D: ou D:/ ou d:/ to /d produce these
> artefacts ? Doing the same thing with C: ou E: will NOT cause any problem.
> Is it impossible to mount the drive where cygwin is located ? Installing
> coolview did not help too. As well as binary mount.
>
> Thanks

/Levon Saldamli

* strange mount behaviour...
@ 1999-02-23 17:15                   ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-23 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, sorry to post another naive question, but here is a sequence of
reproducible commands that lead to something very obscure to me : mounting
D: (the disk where cygwin and my root is located) seems to invalid some
internal behaviours (well, let's say some illogical things appear :)

Here it is. I just installed B20.1,

> GNUWIN32=d:/devel/gnuwin32; export GNUWIN32
> CYGROOT=${GNUWIN32}/cygwin-b20; export CYGROOT

- create some directories for a kind of filesystem

> cd ${GNUWIN32}
> mkdir root
> cd root
> mkdir tmp etc d

- mount

> umount /
> mount ${GNUWIN32}/root /
> mount D:/temp /tmp
> mount ${CYGROOT}/etc /etc

No pb until now, for example, let's have a look at /etc (two times)  :

> cd /
> ls
d/ etc/ tmp/
> ls etc
termcap
> ls /etc
termcap

Now here is the funny part :

> mount D: /d
> ls etc
> ls d

!! nothing !!

> ls /etc
termcap
> cd /etc
> ls
termcap

!! now here they are, '/etc' works, 'etc' does not !!

> cd ..
> ls d
> ls /d
autoexec.bat config.sys