* RE: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-08  2:33 Smith, Martin
From: Smith, Martin @ 1999-03-08  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin; +Cc: 'tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de'

I think this is an excellent idea and, as Tripp says, several people
probably already have this on their long-term to-do list :-)

Here are a few other thoughts/suggestions. Feel free to reject them if they
are not appropriate ! I realise there are a lot of suggestions here but
there's no need to do them all at once (or at all for that matter) - a core
CD package would be fine with me :-)

*	What about text/binary mounts - I get the feeling binary mounts are
preferred for most applications but, by default, the Cygnus tools install
with text mounts. Is it wise to change this to binary for a 'development'
install or not?
*	What about environment variables? At the moment these are in a batch
file but I usually add them to my NT environment and call Bash directly. Is
this appropriate? What about other settings like term etc? Is there any
"best" environment?
*	Once installed, how best to manage updates to included packages? Is
there any advantage to using RPM or would it be best to stick with
tarballs/diff/patch initially? I don't think many people are using any form
of package management on cygwin yet but perhaps this would be useful?
*	Would this include helper scripts like the modified "install" which
many packages need to cope with .exe extensions? I'm sure there have been a
few more handy scripts/wrappers on this list as well.
*	Would/could it set up /bin, /etc mounts as well as the default ones
provided by Cygwin?
*	It would be handy if it could (eventually) offer to set inetutils up
for you as well (as an NT service if you are on NT). Don't know how feasible
this one is...
*	Of course, using InstallShield, you could offer some of these as
options under "Custom" setup.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I certainly support this suggestion and think
it would be a good way of allowing more people to get up & running with the
Cygwin tools without having to go through the regular FAQ session first :-)
If you need a Beta tester for any of this, let me know ;-)

Regards,
	Martin

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-11  6:07 Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-11  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>---Greg Miller <gmiller@classic-games.com> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Weiser wrote:
>> > Why? Someone who can't do a tar -xzvf will also be unable to use
>> > cygwin after install. It's the old thread which shows up here
>> > regularly and I'm one of those who want tar's or even better rpm's.
>>
>> Except that the above tar command isn't equivalent to a full
>> InstallShield executable. Further, many cygwin users just want to run
>> one or two pieces of UNIX software, not use a full simulation of UNIX.
>
>You've just given a perfectly good reason why _NOT_ to use
>InstallShield.  With InstallShield, unless the packager has provided
>for it, you can't just pick and choose like you would be able to with
>tar.

Why don't we have the "best of both worlds"?

I like the idea of tar files.  I also like the idea of an
InstallShield setup to specify which parts to install (via
a Custom install option).

Wouldn't it be possible to have tarballs, and have InstallShield
extract the tarballs as part of its installation?  Then both
groups can be satisified, and it shouldn't be too much more
difficult to do...(at least, I wouldn't think it so, but I've
been wrong before...)

For the record, I also would like to have a CD with almost
everything on it.  It would certainly make re-installing
"the world" easier...  :-)

Would it be possible to place mingw32 on the CD as well?
I don't remember seeing this raised as an option, but I
would find it useful to have it on the CD...

 - Jon

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-11  5:30 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-11  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Miller; +Cc: cygwin users

---Greg Miller <gmiller@classic-games.com> wrote:

> Michael Weiser wrote:
> > Why? Someone who can't do a tar -xzvf will also be unable to use
> > cygwin after install. It's the old thread which shows up here
> > regularly and I'm one of those who want tar's or even better rpm's.
>
> Except that the above tar command isn't equivalent to a full
> InstallShield executable. Further, many cygwin users just want to run
> one or two pieces of UNIX software, not use a full simulation of UNIX.

You've just given a perfectly good reason why _NOT_ to use
InstallShield.  With InstallShield, unless the packager has provided
for it, you can't just pick and choose like you would be able to with
tar.

I know, I know; can't this thread just die?  Well, I just couldn't
resist responding.
==
-                        \\||//

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-10 18:46 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Weiser, cygwin

-

>Hello DJ, you wrote:
>>> If recompiling support is limited, then you'll immediately be
>>> violating the GPL (according to DJ Delorie).
>>The GPL says that you have to have enouch sources to rebuild the apps.
>>It doesn't require that the person who gave you the sources help you
>>figure out how to do it.
>So the question is how limited 'very limited' is if Stipe writes it.
>--

Stipe was mentioning to RED HAT style CDROMs.  On a Red Hat Linux System,
you can basically extract the source RPM and recompile the software without
any troubles.  They supply all the Makefiles preconfigured to recompile and
produce the same binaries which are on the binary CDROM distribution.  If
that is what exactly GPL requires then I think Cygwin CD should follow same
rules and should not have any kind of limitations on recompilation of source
code.

-SMS

>bye, Michael
>
>--

* RE: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-08  6:58 Smith, Martin
From: Smith, Martin @ 1999-03-08  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', Cygwin; +Cc: 'tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de'

> Is it wise to change this to binary for a'development'
> > install or not?
> 8<
>
> NO! The preferred method is text mounts.

Oops - fair enough, I wasn't sure :-) I guess this implies there are a few
packages out there aren't properly ported?

> What about environment variables? At the moment these are in a batch
> > file but I usually add them to my NT environment and call Bashdirectly.
> Is
> > this appropriate? What about other settings like term etc? Is thereany
> > "best" environment?
>
> There are reasons why the environment variables are set in the batch
> file; that being, it works on both NT and 9x.

An automated install tool (like InstallShield) should be able to detect
which OS the software is being installed on and set up the appropriate
settings for each. I take the point though that this might not cover all
cases adequately.

> I prefer this method as
> to something modifying my setup files/environment.  IMNSHO, the "best"
> environment is the default one provided by the tool.  Alternates can
> be explained and possibly somewhat automated after the installation.
>
> 8<
> > *	Once installed, how best to manage updates to included packages? Is
> > there any advantage to using RPM or would it be best to stick with
> > tarballs/diff/patch initially? I don't think many people are using
> any form
> > of package management on cygwin yet but perhaps this would be useful?
> 8<
>
> This has been discussed many times before.  I prefer the tarball
> method while others prefer the automated installation.  If you want to
> satisfy all peoples then you have to supply both methods.

[Martin]  Seems reasonable. I have RedHat Linux at home but still tend to
install a lot of stuff from tarball rather than RPM packages.

> 8<
> > *	Would this include helper scripts like the modified "install" which
> > many packages need to cope with .exe extensions? I'm sure there have
> been a
> > few more handy scripts/wrappers on this list as well.
> 8<
>
> Just search the archives.

[Martin]  I didn't want them just now - I was just suggesting that the more
"essential" of these might make a useful addition to such a CD :-)

> 8<
> > *	Would/could it set up /bin, /etc mounts as well as the default ones
> > provided by Cygwin?
> 8<
>
> Again, this is a preference thing.  Some prefer to use symbolic links,
> some prefer to create a different directory structure altogether and
> some prefer just using mount points.  Whatever you do as a default
> will only satisfy about 1/3 (a guess) of the preferences.

[Martin]  In theory an installer could ask the user what they wanted set up
but, in practice, I agree this would probably be too much hassle. I
certainly wouldn't recommend a windows installer as a panacea for all
installation issues !

> > Anyway, that's enough from me. I certainly support this suggestion
> and think
> > it would be a good way of allowing more people to get up & running
> with the
> > Cygwin tools without having to go through the regular FAQ session
> first :-)
> 8<
>
> I like the idea, too.  However, it is a given that you'll never
> satisfy everyone and if you're too lazy to read do the FAQ session
> then you're going to be too lazy to read any other installation manual
> as well.  I can just hear the questions now, "I just got this CD and
> I'm trying to ...". ;^)

True, all the tools in one place sounds handy :-) And, as you say, as long
as people realise that this method of installation may not suit their
particular needs then there's no problem...

Regards,
	Martin

> ==
> -                        \\||//

* RE: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-08  5:50 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-08  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Martin, Cygwin; +Cc: 'tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de'

---"Smith, Martin" <martin@exchange.Scotland.NCR.COM> wrote:
8<
> *	What about text/binary mounts - I get the feeling binary mounts are
> preferred for most applications but, by default, the Cygnus tools
install
> with text mounts. Is it wise to change this to binary for a
'development'
> install or not?
8<

NO! The preferred method is text mounts.  That is the reason for the
default.  If a program requires binary mounts then the program isn't
properly ported.  Switching to binary mounts causes other problems.
In a program always _SPECIFY_ whether it is to be opened for text mode
processing or binary mode processing, don't rely on the default.  A
file should be opened for text mode processing if the file can
potentially be read or created by humans with a text mode editor, such
as NOTEPAD.  All other files should be opened for binary mode
processing.

8<
> *	What about environment variables? At the moment these are in a batch
> file but I usually add them to my NT environment and call Bash
directly. Is
> this appropriate? What about other settings like term etc? Is there
any
> "best" environment?
8<

There are reasons why the environment variables are set in the batch
file; that being, it works on both NT and 9x.  I prefer this method as
to something modifying my setup files/environment.  IMNSHO, the "best"
environment is the default one provided by the tool.  Alternates can
be explained and possibly somewhat automated after the installation.

8<
> *	Once installed, how best to manage updates to included packages? Is
> there any advantage to using RPM or would it be best to stick with
> tarballs/diff/patch initially? I don't think many people are using
any form
> of package management on cygwin yet but perhaps this would be useful?
8<

This has been discussed many times before.  I prefer the tarball
method while others prefer the automated installation.  If you want to
satisfy all peoples then you have to supply both methods.

8<
> *	Would this include helper scripts like the modified "install" which
> many packages need to cope with .exe extensions? I'm sure there have
been a
> few more handy scripts/wrappers on this list as well.
8<

Just search the archives.

8<
> *	Would/could it set up /bin, /etc mounts as well as the default ones
> provided by Cygwin?
8<

Again, this is a preference thing.  Some prefer to use symbolic links,
some prefer to create a different directory structure altogether and
some prefer just using mount points.  Whatever you do as a default
will only satisfy about 1/3 (a guess) of the preferences.

8<
> *	It would be handy if it could (eventually) offer to set inetutils up
> for you as well (as an NT service if you are on NT). Don't know how
feasible
> this one is...
8<

No comment.

8<
> *	Of course, using InstallShield, you could offer some of these as
> options under "Custom" setup.
8<

Yuk.  Just give me a tarball please.

8<

@ 1999-03-07 19:09 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

---Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 12:33:11AM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> >As you mentioned in an later mail, RedHat and SuSE are themselves
> >distributed under GPL, but they had (in some cases even still do)
> >distribute software which sources are not freely available, think
of Qt
> >from Troll Tech or the famous XForms lib.
>
> This is possible to do with linux.  It isn't possible with cygwin.
>
> If a program is built using the cygwin stub library (-lcygwin) it
*must*
> be GPLed.  This is not an optional thing.  It's a legal requirement.
>
> This is, of course, not the case for either the linux kernel or the
> linux C library.

Which is the reason for the birth of Mingw32.

==
-                        \\||//

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-07 15:52 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-07 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM, dj, mh; +Cc: cygwin

> What happens if those sources go away?  You immediately violate the
> GPL if/when that happens. >>
>
>I understand the reasons for these requirements, but IMHO they are
>unnecessarily burdensome for the case of packages which come from mirrors
of
>ftp.gnu.org, where we have reasonable assurance they may always be found
>easily.  In addition, if someone wants the source, they may also wish to be
>checking for a more up to date version, so they will need to go to the gnu
>mirror anyway.

Licensing is a different issue.  If I want source, then I do not worry about
precompiled version.  I would rather compile it myself.

>--

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-07 14:08 N8TM
       [not found] ` < 57b99220.36e2f890@aol.com >
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj, mh; +Cc: cygwin

In a message dated 3/7/99 12:55:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, dj@delorie.com
writes:

<< The GPL requires that *you* are responsible for
 distributing the sources.  You can't rely on someone else to
 distribute the sources unless they agree be held responsible, and even
 then you'd need to do the offer in writing.

@ 1999-03-07 10:13 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-07 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tripp Lilley; +Cc: Stipe Tolj, Cygwin

survey

>On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>
>> A CD like Red Hat and SuSE will not be violation of Cygwin GPL
license?

>from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/COPYING :
>
>"Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
>have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
>this service if you wish),"

In that case, put me on the "yes" list too.
Suhaib

(tripp@iweinc.com)
-------
>  "When applying any correction, you should be swift, firm, without
anger
>   or frustration and not carry a grudge."
>
>--
>   jane h. kilberg in http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=448336391
>

>--

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-07  9:19 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 007501be68c0$ee6d69b0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-07  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj, Cygwin

>I have planned this for about a year and now I would like to hear from
>other cygwin users what they think about it. Mostly I'm interested in
>the opinion of the cygwin core developers.
>
>We would like to compile a set of files containing
>
>    - latest cygwin full.exe distrbution
>    - latest pre-compiled egcs replacement
>    - latest cygwin-snapshots
>    - pre-compiled libraries and headers for /usr/local/include and
>/usr/local/lib
>        - like X11R6.4, crypt, ncurses, gmp, readline, gd, ...
>    - pre-compiled applications for /usr/local/
>        - like X11R6.4, XEmacs, LyX, GIMP, mSQL, PostgreSQL, Apache,
>inetutils, ssh
>
>and all the other ports available at ftp.franken.de
>
>    - any available sources for the pre-compiled cygwin ports
>    - cygwin documentation
>    - a HTML mirror of the complete mailing list contents
>
>to a Cygwin DEV (Development Environment) CD-ROM like the RedHat or
SuSE
>Linux distributions. This package should enable users to install Cygwin
>on a clean Win32 system with all required software allready available
>via CD.

A CD like Red Hat and SuSE will not be violation of Cygwin GPL license?

Just a question.

>Currently all files should fit on a single CD. There won't be a CD
>distribution (at least for now), but we will provide the complete set
of
>files for burning such a CD from our web site (and hopefully some
>mirrors around the world).
>
>We would like to use the latest InstallShield version, so new users may
>install the base Cygwin b20.1 distrbition and any other components very
>modular via InstallShield selection windows.
>
>Any comments towards this idea are very welcome.
>
>Regards,
>Stipe
>
>--
>Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
>
>Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
> http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
>
>Department of Economical Computer Science
>University of Cologne, Germany
>

>--

* [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-07  9:11 Stipe Tolj