* tail -f <file name> locks <file name>
@ 1999-04-27 12:16 thomas
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: thomas @ 1999-04-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

This has not been the original intention of 'tail -f': This command should
enable the user
to watch the contents of a file grow. If this file is locked by the tail
command, the writing process
will run on error.

Best regards

Thomas Hirschmann

* Re: tail -f <file name> locks <file name>
@ 1999-04-27 12:34 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-04-27 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 03:12:47PM -0400, thomas@on.com wrote:
>This has not been the original intention of 'tail -f': This command should
>enable the user
>to watch the contents of a file grow. If this file is locked by the tail
>command, the writing process
>will run on error.

Patches gratefully accepted.

-chris

* Re: tail -f <file name> locks <file name>
@ 1999-04-27 14:01 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-04-27 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 thomas@on.com wrote:

> This has not been the original intention of 'tail -f': This command should
> enable the user
> to watch the contents of a file grow. If this file is locked by the tail
> command, the writing process
> will run on error.

I'm not sure why you're seeing a problem, but I do the following all the
time:

  $ make > make.log 2>&1 &
  $ tail -f make.log

And in some cases, the ``tail -f make.log'' is already running in a
different window when I issue the ``make'' command.

Is the writer explicitly locking the output file? Could you show an
example of the failure?

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: tail -f <file name> locks <file name>
@ 1999-04-30  7:17   ` Eugene Kanter
From: Eugene Kanter @ 1999-04-30  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 thomas@on.com wrote:
>
> > This has not been the original intention of 'tail -f': This command should
> > enable the user
> > to watch the contents of a file grow. If this file is locked by the tail
> > command, the writing process
> > will run on error.
> >

> I'm not sure why you're seeing a problem, but I do the following all the
> time:
>
>   $ make > make.log 2>&1 &
>   $ tail -f make.log
>
> And in some cases, the ``tail -f make.log'' is already running in a
> different window when I issue the ``make'' command.
>
> Is the writer explicitly locking the output file? Could you show an
> example of the failure?

Here is an example:

bash window 1:                     bash window 2:
bash-2.02$ touch  mappfile.out
bash-2.02$ tail -f  mappfile.out   bash $ cat > mappfile.out
line1                              line1
line2                              line2
                                   ^C
                                   bash $ rm mappfile.out
                                   bash $ ls mappfile.out
                                   ls: mappfile.out: No such file or
directory
                                   bash $ cat > mappfile.out
                                   bash: mappfile.out: Permission denied

Is this enough for you to reproduce it?

Thanks,

Eugene.

* tail -f <file name> locks <file name>
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` thomas
From: thomas @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1999-04-30 18:32     ` Eugene Kanter
From: Eugene Kanter @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugene Kanter; +Cc: cygwin

--- Eugene Kanter <eugene@bgs.com> wrote:
--8<--
> Here is an example:
>
> bash window 1:                     bash window 2:
> bash-2.02$ touch  mappfile.out
> bash-2.02$ tail -f  mappfile.out   bash $ cat > mappfile.out
> line1                              line1
> line2                              line2
>                                    ^C
>                                    bash $ rm mappfile.out
>                                    bash $ ls mappfile.out
>                                    ls: mappfile.out: No such file or
> directory
>                                    bash $ cat > mappfile.out
>                                    bash: mappfile.out: Permission denied
>
> Is this enough for you to reproduce it?

The rm of mappfile.out in the bash 2 window has not actually removed it yet as
it is still open in the bash 1 window.  Cygwin has marked it in a table to be
removed when it gets closed but it's really not gone yet.  You then try to
create the file and the filesystem complains that it can't get rid of
mappfile.out because another process has it open so you get the "Permission
denied" error.  This is a feature of the MS OSes.

The only thing you can do in this case is to exit tail at which time cygwin
will note the closure of the file and remove it.

===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP:
 DOCUMENTATION: < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/docs.html >
       DLLHELP: < http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ >
ARCHIVE SEARCH: < http://www.delorie.com/archives/ > OR
                < http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/ >

From: Eugene Kanter @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Eugene Kanter <eugene@bgs.com> wrote:
> --8<--
> > Here is an example:
> >
> > bash window 1:                     bash window 2:
> > bash-2.02$ touch  mappfile.out
> > bash-2.02$ tail -f  mappfile.out   bash $ cat > mappfile.out
> > line1                              line1
> > line2                              line2
> >                                    ^C
> >                                    bash $ rm mappfile.out
> >                                    bash $ ls mappfile.out
> >                                    ls: mappfile.out: No such file or
> > directory
> >                                    bash $ cat > mappfile.out
> >                                    bash: mappfile.out: Permission denied
> >
> > Is this enough for you to reproduce it?
>
> The rm of mappfile.out in the bash 2 window has not actually removed it yet as
> it is still open in the bash 1 window.  Cygwin has marked it in a table to be
> removed when it gets closed but it's really not gone yet.  You then try to
> create the file and the filesystem complains that it can't get rid of
> mappfile.out because another process has it open so you get the "Permission
> denied" error.  This is a feature of the MS OSes.

Is there a way to overcome this "feature of the MS OSes"?

Is there any other "tail" which does not cause this error?

Eugene.

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugene Kanter; +Cc: cygwin

--- Eugene Kanter <eugene@bgs.com> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > --- Eugene Kanter <eugene@bgs.com> wrote:
> > --8<--
> > > Here is an example:
> > >
> > > bash window 1:                     bash window 2:
> > > bash-2.02$ touch  mappfile.out
> > > bash-2.02$ tail -f  mappfile.out   bash $ cat > mappfile.out
> > > line1                              line1
> > > line2                              line2
> > >                                    ^C
> > >                                    bash $ rm mappfile.out
> > >                                    bash $ ls mappfile.out
> > >                                    ls: mappfile.out: No such file or
> > > directory
> > >                                    bash $ cat > mappfile.out
> > >                                    bash: mappfile.out: Permission denied
> > >
> > > Is this enough for you to reproduce it?
> >
> > The rm of mappfile.out in the bash 2 window has not actually removed it yet
> as
> > it is still open in the bash 1 window.  Cygwin has marked it in a table to
> be
> > removed when it gets closed but it's really not gone yet.  You then try to
> > create the file and the filesystem complains that it can't get rid of
> > mappfile.out because another process has it open so you get the "Permission
> > denied" error.  This is a feature of the MS OSes.
>
> Is there a way to overcome this "feature of the MS OSes"?

Uh, not unless you become the owner of MS. ;^)

> Is there any other "tail" which does not cause this error?

Modify the source so that the file is closed when it reaches the end of file.
Have win32 notify you when the file changes then reopen the file and seek to
the point you were and continue.  If the file is deleted then reset the
position pointers.

===

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, gnu-win32

--- thomas@on.com wrote:
> This has not been the original intention of 'tail -f': This command should
> enable the user
> to watch the contents of a file grow. If this file is locked by the tail
> command, the writing process
> will run on error.

Interesting.  Are you mixing cygwin and non-cygwin processes?  I have a mingw32
version of tail that works as expected.

===

@ 1999-04-30  9:12 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)