* Re: How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30  1:15 Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 1999-04-30  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: R. Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be>
>> I've got a little problem: I downloaded the full-man.tar.bz2 and the
>> user-man.tar.bz2. After unzipping and untaring both, I figured out that
>> I do not have any viewer or similar to view the files without all that
>> formatting stuff in them.
>> Is there any "man" or "info"  command available or a place I can get
>> sources for such a one?
>
>There is an 'info' which probably can be made to work - check the mailing
>list over the last couple of weeks.  I, however, could not get it to work
>properly (NT4 SP4), or compile it from source properly.  Being in a hurry,
>I gave up and downloaded 'emacs':
> ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/docs/ntemacs.html
>which is small enough to download quickly, is a good editor and can be
>installed without having to use a brain.

Personally, I hate the Info presentation, so I wrote a quick and dirty
info-to-HTML translator. If anyone wants it you can grab it from
ftp://animal.ihug.co.nz/pub/infoweb.tgz

(It's still slightly buggy -- it sometimes misses links that are
split across multiple lines.)

--
Ross Smith ................................... mailto:ross.s@ihug.co.nz
.............. The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand ..............

* Re: How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30  1:32 ` R. Hickling
From: R. Hickling @ 1999-04-30  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Smith; +Cc: cygwin

> info-to-HTML translator. If anyone wants it you can grab it from
> ftp://animal.ihug.co.nz/pub/infoweb.tgz

I like it!

* Re: How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: R. Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be>

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` R. Hickling
From: R. Hickling @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Smith; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Smith, R. Hickling; +Cc: cygwin users

--- Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> From: R. Hickling <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be>
>
> Personally, I hate the Info presentation, so I wrote a quick and dirty
> info-to-HTML translator. If anyone wants it you can grab it from
> ftp://animal.ihug.co.nz/pub/infoweb.tgz
>
> (It's still slightly buggy -- it sometimes misses links that are
> split across multiple lines.)

Search for texi2html (convert info files to html) and for polyglotman aka
rosetta man (convert man files to a number of different formats one of which is
html).

===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP:
 DOCUMENTATION: < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/docs.html >
       DLLHELP: < http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ >
ARCHIVE SEARCH: < http://www.delorie.com/archives/ > OR
                < http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/ >

* Re: How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Search for texi2html (convert info files to html)

< http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~obachman/Texi2html/ >

Texi2html converts Texinfo files and not info files.
The latest version of makeinfo will also output html.

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, C. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |

* How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Lutz

From: R. Hickling @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lutz; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32       ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I have a precompiled version of info-2.18, which works on my
> pc without problems. Because many people in this group seems
> to miss sth like this, I will publish it in the next days on

I have placed a precompiled text-mount version of info-3.12b at
< http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/ >. This is a temp location.

This info package contains the info, install-info, and makeinfo
binaries and all the info files built from texinfo-3.12b.

Also included in the info package is a "dir" file with all
special control characters and tabs required by Info. There's a
"fix-info-dir" script for adding menus to the dir file.

Everything there was built on W95 using only text mounts. All text
files are archived in Windows/DOS format.

Also, there's a "flip" package there for converting text files back
and forth between *nix and DOS.

-glenn

--

@ 1999-04-30 18:32     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lutz; +Cc: cygwin

"Lutz" wrote:
> I've got a little problem: I downloaded the full-man.tar.bz2 and the
> user-man.tar.bz2. After unzipping and untaring both, I figured out that
> I do not have any viewer or similar to view the files without all that
> formatting stuff in them.
> Is there any "man" or "info"  command available or a place I can get
> sources for such a one?

You can download a "man" package from

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/B20

You have to download the "ncurses" package from the same site.

I have a precompiled version of info-2.18, which works on my
pc without problems. Because many people in this group seems
to miss sth like this, I will publish it in the next days on

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

Regards,
Corinna

* Re: How can I view the man packages?
@ 1999-04-30  6:28 ` Glenn Spell