* Re: Make problems
@ 1999-06-14  5:47 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-14  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:

<< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.

* Re: Make problems
@ 1999-06-14 15:06 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:44:39AM -0400, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:
>
><< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
> 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
>The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
>last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.

I have no idea what a "corrupted snapshot" might be but when I suggested using
a newer snapshot, I meant trying one of the ones that have come out in the last
few days.

cgf

* new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 18:06   ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the registry
organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot, especially the mount
organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem
is that this new structure is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if
one wants to use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created by
the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work anymore.
Any comment on that ?
Is this new registry organisation stable in time ?
In other words, is it planed to change or evolve in the future ?
--
SAZ

Chris Faylor a écrit :

> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:44:39AM -0400, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
> >In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:
> >
> ><< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
> > 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
> >The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
> >last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.
> I have no idea what a "corrupted snapshot" might be but when I suggested using
> a newer snapshot, I meant trying one of the ones that have come out in the last
> few days.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 18:38     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

> By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the
> registry organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot,
> especially the mount organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared
> (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem is that this new structure
> is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if one wants to
> use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created
> by the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work
> anymore.  Any comment on that ?

The new mount.exe has an option to import the old table into the new
format.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 19:01       ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie a écrit :

> > By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the
> > registry organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot,
> > especially the mount organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared
> > (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem is that this new structure
> > is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if one wants to
> > use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created
> > by the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work
> > anymore.  Any comment on that ?
>
> The new mount.exe has an option to import the old table into the new
> format.

Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options : binary mode
or force mount.
I did that by hand, by modifying the registry.

Another thing, flag settings I understood so far are :
2(hex) binary mount
20(hex) Type auto

I thing I understood the first one. But I didn't understand the second
one.
Is there a possibility to know more about these flags ?
Thanks in advance.
--
SAZ

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 19:45         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

> Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options :
> binary mode or force mount.

Then you have the old mount.  The new one has more options:

C:\CYGWIN> mount --help
Usage mount [-bfs] <win32path> <posixpath>
-b = text files are equivalent to binary files (newline = \n)
-f = force mount, don't warn about missing mount point directories
-s = add mount point to system-wide registry location

[-bs] --change-automount-prefix <posixpath> = change the automount path prefix to <posixpath>
--import-old-mounts = copy old registry mount table mounts into the current mount areas.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 20:04           ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie a écrit :

> > Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options :
> > binary mode or force mount.
>
> Then you have the old mount.  The new one has more options:
>
> C:\CYGWIN> mount --help
> Usage mount [-bfs] <win32path> <posixpath>
> -b = text files are equivalent to binary files (newline = \n)
> -f = force mount, don't warn about missing mount point directories
> -s = add mount point to system-wide registry location
>
> [-bs] --change-automount-prefix <posixpath> = change the automount path prefix to <posixpath>
> --import-old-mounts = copy old registry mount table mounts into the current mount areas.

Ok, if I go to :
(closest_cygwin_ftp_mirror_site)/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/latest/src-by-top-dir/
do I have to download the whole stuff, or just a few of them ?
If I download the whole thing, would it mean that I upgrade my 20.1 distro to 20.1.1 or 20.2 or
21.0 or ... ?

Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix" in the registry database :
why isn't it set to empty by default ? (sorry if I ask too much, or if this is not the kind of
question to ask to cygnus developers :)

Thanks again for the replies.

--SAZ

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 21:24             ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-06-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

> Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix"
> in the registry database :
> why isn't it set to empty by default ?

I thought that /cygdrive would make the best default because it
wouldn't likely be a directory already in existance at the top level
of any drives.  Just using slash, is what I prefer personally but it's
much more likely that someone would have a directory like "a" at the
top level of a Windows filesystem so I don't like that as the general
default.

The new automount system is important in that it guarantees that
Cygwin will have a way to translate any Win32 path back to a valid
POSIX path.  (Since we're deprecating //<drive-letter>/ as that
mechanism, we had to come up with another way).

I don't expect we'll change it from how things are in the current
snapshots in the next Cygwin release.  At least, not in terms of the
new mount table layout.

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-15 13:28             ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 05:03:06AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:
>DJ Delorie a écrit :
>> Then you have the old mount.
>
>Ok, if I go to :
>(closest_cygwin_ftp_mirror_site)/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/latest/src-by-top-dir/
>do I have to download the whole stuff, or just a few of them ?  If I
>download the whole thing, would it mean that I upgrade my 20.1 distro
>to 20.1.1 or 20.2 or 21.0 or ...  ?

You would go to the same place where you got the aforementioned snapshot
to begin with.  Download the DLL sources from there.  Or, just get the
installation binaries which will have the newest version of mount.

>Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix" in
>the registry database : why isn't it set to empty by default ?  (sorry
>if I ask too much, or if this is not the kind of question to ask to
>cygnus developers :)

I'm not sure why you think this should be empty.  The value of "cygdrive
prefix" is used for drives which do not have corresponding mount table
entries.  That means if you want to access the foo directory on your q:
drive you use:

	/cygdrive/q/foo

cgf

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10               ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10               ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

--- DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the
> > registry organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot,
> > especially the mount organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared
> > (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem is that this new structure
> > is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if one wants to
> > use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created
> > by the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work
> > anymore.  Any comment on that ?
>
> The new mount.exe has an option to import the old table into the new
> format.

To find this new mount.exe already built you need to download the
cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz file.  This file will also contain the cygwin1.dll
for that build.  Not all binaries are included just ones important to the
functioning of the cygwin environment.  You will also find header files and libraries.
===
YAWIA,
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-15  6:09 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-15  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin