* RE: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-17 19:43 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 1999-06-17 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> /cygwin/<version>
> but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
> points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
> symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.

Why should we have to manually do what every other half-decent Unix out
there does automatically?

All you have to do is install /cygwin/<version> and let it create all its
little directories under that (without the hardcoded H-* stuff; if it had
just been *called* usr I would have understood what was happening much
earlier :-).

Then all you have to do is mount /cygwin/<version> as / and everything
else will fall in as you want:  /etc will be /cygwin/<version>/etc, and
so forth.

>  I would also like to see the
> installer automatically mount / to C:\
>
> This would provide a unix friendly envionment for compiling and installing
> things, as you mentioned above, but would leave / as C:\  which IMHO is a
> logical way of doing things.

Why?  C:\ contains nothing but project-related data on my system (and as of
yesterday, my cygwin home directory).  Why is that a logical choice?

Oh, were you looking for the system drive?  Ah, that'd be D: on my system,
C: on a coworker's system, and F: on another coworker's system.  Perhaps
you should not make the same mistake as every Win9x programmer seems to make,
and look for %WINDIR% or %SystemDrive% instead.

Still, I don't see what mapping the Winblows drive to / gets us.

> As far as changing to another version is concerned, instead of one or two
> registry entries to modify, you would need a number of them, but this could
> still be handled by a simple program, etc.

Or just unmount / and remount a different /cygwin/<version> as /.  Uh, maybe.
I'm leery of changing versions or reinstalling, because I don't want to have
to set up all the mount points all over again.

(Speaking of which, surely the idea of /etc/[vx]fstab has come up.  What was
the reason for not using it?  Or *some* kind of text file representation
of mount points?)

(If you reply to the list, please don't cc another copy to me.  Thanks!)
Phil

* RE: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 02:38:40PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com writes:
>>
>> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
>> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
>> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
>> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>>
>> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.
>>

>Chris,
>
>Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
>
>What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
>can be anywhere on the physical disk.
>
>I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
>choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
>and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
>can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
>and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

That's what I'm planning on doing.  You choose the root and everything
installs under there.

Of course, I first have a memory corruption problem to solve before I
can even think about this.  And, DJ is busy with other interesting stuff...

cgf

* Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` itz
From: itz @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: "Robert Campbell" <campbell@calgary.paradigmgeo.com>
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:41:05 -0600

   > SNIP SNIP
   >
   > Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
   >
   > What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
   > can be anywhere on the physical disk.
   >
   > I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
   > choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
   > and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
   > can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
   > and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

   I Disagree (in part).  I would like to see Cygwin installed to
   /cygwin/<version>
   but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
   points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
   symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.  I would also like to see the
   installer automatically mount / to C:\

An extremely bad idea.  I have all cygwin related stuff on D: to
provide as much separation as possible between the Win and Unix
worlds.  This actually saved my a**e when I could no longer boot and
had to reformat my C: drive and reinstall NT.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.

* Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10         ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

I had written earlier:

> I can do this with just one registry key that the pathname lookup code
> uses. If I had some free time, I could almost get the current snapshot
> to do this, but since Chris is already working on this, I'll just wait
> and get it for free ;-)

I clearly misspoke here. Chris Faylor is not working on such a feature.
My apologies for any confusion that this may have caused.

However, the fact remains that once the Unix like file system layout is
installed, it's a simple matter of mounting the <installdir> to '/' and
then it looks just like any other Unix box.

I'm looking forward to it, whenever it may happen.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

"Robert Campbell" <campbell@calgary.paradigmgeo.com> writes:

> I Disagree (in part).  I would like to see Cygwin installed to
> /cygwin/<version>
> but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
> points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
> symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.

Could you please elaborate as why you prefer this approach? I don't like
multiple symbolic links when a cleanly (single) rooted system is viable
and available for free.

> I would also like to see the
> installer automatically mount / to C:\

Please, no. This is simply a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

> This would provide a unix friendly envionment for compiling and installing
> things, as you mentioned above, but would leave / as C:\  which IMHO is a
> logical way of doing things.

Why is 'C:\' naturally '/'? I don't follow. 'C:\' may be more natural to
Windows32, but has nothing to do with Cygwin, which will translate the
paths appropriate before calling win32 API and interfacing with the
system.

> As far as changing to another version is concerned, instead of one or two
> registry entries to modify, you would need a number of them, but this could
> still be handled by a simple program, etc.

I can do this with just one registry key that the pathname lookup code
uses. If I had some free time, I could almost get the current snapshot
to do this, but since Chris is already working on this, I'll just wait
and get it for free ;-)

Thanks for your comments on this.

Regards,
Mumit

* RE: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Robert Campbell
From: Robert Campbell @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

> SNIP SNIP
>
> Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
>
> What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
> can be anywhere on the physical disk.
>
> I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
> choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
> and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
> can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
> and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

I Disagree (in part).  I would like to see Cygwin installed to
/cygwin/<version>
but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.  I would also like to see the
installer automatically mount / to C:\

This would provide a unix friendly envionment for compiling and installing
things, as you mentioned above, but would leave / as C:\  which IMHO is a
logical way of doing things.

As far as changing to another version is concerned, instead of one or two
registry entries to modify, you would need a number of them, but this could
still be handled by a simple program, etc.

Just my two cents worth.

* file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com writes:

> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>
> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.

Chris,

Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)

What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
can be anywhere on the physical disk.

I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

AT&T UWIN does something similar, grossly speaking, and that setup works
surprisingly well.  A good feature just waiting to be "re-used".

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-18  7:42       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

@ 1999-06-17 14:21     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

@ 1999-06-17 13:51     ` itz
From: itz @ 1999-06-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: "Robert Campbell" <campbell@calgary.paradigmgeo.com>
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:41:05 -0600

   > SNIP SNIP
   >
   > Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
   >
   > What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
   > can be anywhere on the physical disk.
   >
   > I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
   > choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
   > and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
   > can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
   > and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

   I Disagree (in part).  I would like to see Cygwin installed to
   /cygwin/<version>
   but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
   points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
   symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.  I would also like to see the
   installer automatically mount / to C:\

An extremely bad idea.  I have all cygwin related stuff on D: to
provide as much separation as possible between the Win and Unix
worlds.  This actually saved my a**e when I could no longer boot and
had to reformat my C: drive and reinstall NT.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.
2325 3rd Street #324
San Francisco, California 94107
U.S.A.

* RE: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-17 13:39   ` Robert Campbell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Campbell @ 1999-06-17 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com

@ 1999-06-17 13:05   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 02:38:40PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com writes:
>>
>> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
>> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
>> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
>> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>>
>> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.
>>

>Chris,
>
>Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
>
>What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
>can be anywhere on the physical disk.
>
>I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
>choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
>and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
>can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
>and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

That's what I'm planning on doing.  You choose the root and everything
installs under there.

Of course, I first have a memory corruption problem to solve before I
can even think about this.  And, DJ is busy with other interesting stuff...

cgf

* file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
@ 1999-06-17 12:39 ` Mumit Khan
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-17 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin