* SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
@ 1999-06-23 11:17 tjoen
From: tjoen @ 1999-06-23 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

NT4 SP4 B20.1 egcs-2.91.57

Attempting to run ace-tests (it compiles and links clean now):
Program received signal SIGSEGV ... in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
Increasing stacksize results in SIGSEGV in _libwsock32_a_iname()

The SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ () was only 12 gdb-steps
from MainCRTStartup

Compile flags were:
-fno-implicit-templates -mno-cygwin

Linked libraries:
-lc -lg -lcygwin -lmsvcrt -lwsock32

I guess that my mistake is linking the wrong libraries, but
other combinations gave unresolved symbols.
What to do?

* Re: SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
@ 1999-06-23 11:38 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

tjoen@dds.nl writes:

> NT4 SP4 B20.1 egcs-2.91.57
>
> Attempting to run ace-tests (it compiles and links clean now):
> Program received signal SIGSEGV ... in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
> Increasing stacksize results in SIGSEGV in _libwsock32_a_iname()
>
> The SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ () was only 12 gdb-steps
> from MainCRTStartup
>
> Compile flags were:
> -fno-implicit-templates -mno-cygwin
>
> Linked libraries:
> -lc -lg -lcygwin -lmsvcrt -lwsock32
>
> I guess that my mistake is linking the wrong libraries, but
> other combinations gave unresolved symbols.
> What to do?

Blindly adding libraries without having any understanding of the
implications is not the right approach when porting software (even
worse when implementing it ;-)

You're mixing 3 different runtimes -- Cygwin and MSVC because you've
added both runtime libraries, and CRTDLL because you've added -mno-
cygwin compile flag -- and the fact that you've gotten as far as
you have shows how lucky you are.

The combination of your compile flags and your libraries make absolutely
no sense whatsoever. I and others have written regarding the issues here
many times in the past, and I am not going to repeat myself. It's there
in the mailing list archives.

NEVER mix cygwin and any combination of (msvcrt, wsock32, crtdll).
NEVER mix cygwin or any other Cygwin library with -mno-cygwin.

Also, due to unfortunate naming scheme, -lc is NOT to be used for Cygwin
apps. There is no need to explicitly add -lcygwin either.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
@ 1999-06-24 13:18   ` tjoen
From: tjoen @ 1999-06-24 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mumit wrote:

> tjoen@dds.nl writes:
> >
> > Compile flags were:
> > -fno-implicit-templates -mno-cygwin
> >
> > Linked libraries:
> > -lc -lg -lcygwin -lmsvcrt -lwsock32
>
> You're mixing 3 different runtimes -- Cygwin and MSVC because you've
> added both runtime libraries, and CRTDLL because you've added -mno-
> cygwin compile flag -- and the fact that you've gotten as far as
> you have shows how lucky you are.

Lucky? I needed 20 attempts before it linked ;-)

> The combination of your compile flags and your libraries make absolutely
> no sense whatsoever. I and others have written regarding the issues here
> many times in the past, and I am not going to repeat myself. It's there
> in the mailing list archives.

Thanks for pointing it. I found your mno-cygwin howto and
downloaded the mingw target libs.
Ace tests are running now, or at least half of them.
But enough for  the ace community to get it developped further.
I'll report my efforts to the ace newsgroup.
Thanks for the pointer to the sollution.

* Re: SIGSEGV in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` tjoen