* Re: AW: bash history not avail from arrow keys
@ 1999-07-22 15:10 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

--- "erskine, michael" <michael.erskine@SERuk.com> wrote:
> Ah, I see what you mean Earnie - yes I only have access to the bash
> history for this particular instance of the bash shell - shoot! I'll
> look out for the patches. Any ideas for making the regular arrow keys
> work (rather than the numpad)?

Rather than keeping a lookout go digging thru the archives.  As for the
"regular arrow keys", I've not heard of anyone having a problem.  Perhaps
you've an incorrect keyboard driver or the keyboard mapping is incorrect.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: AW: bash history not avail from arrow keys
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` erskine, michael
From: erskine, michael @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi Frank,

(wow - quick reply!)

Yes, I have HOME set from within AUTOEXEC.BAT and when I do 'cd'
it goes there and I can see my .bash-history. The 'history' command
works as expected.

Hi,

do you set HOME before starting the bash?

Here is the way I use it:
startbash.bat

@ECHO OFF
set HOME=/home/%USERNAME%

c:\usr\local\bin\bash.exe -login

Greetings
   Frank

From: Tim Davidson @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

A couple of things to check:
1.  Do Control-P and Control-N work to retrieve Previous and Next history
commands?
2.  Do your other arrow keys (left and right) work when editing the command
line?
    (I seem to remember that on my old notebook, the arrow keys only worked
when
    Num-Lock was turned off.)

Tim

"erskine, michael" wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> (wow - quick reply!)
>
> Yes, I have HOME set from within AUTOEXEC.BAT and when I do 'cd'
> it goes there and I can see my .bash-history. The 'history' command
> works as expected.
>
> Hi,
>
> do you set HOME before starting the bash?
>
> Here is the way I use it:
> startbash.bat
>
> @ECHO OFF
> set HOME=/home/%USERNAME%
>
> c:\usr\local\bin\bash.exe -login
>
> Greetings
>    Frank

Tim Davidson
timd@werple.net.au

From: erskine, michael @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi Tim,

Many thanks; that has shown me the way...

C-P & C-N do work (I didn't know about these gems!) and the arrow keys
on the numeric keypad work also (with num-lock off - I hadn't tried
them!). The PC-keyboard arrow keys still don't do anything but that's
not so bad because I am now equipped with C-p & C-n or the numeric
keypad.

You have all been most helpful - bless you.

Michael.

---------------------------
Tim wrote...

Hi,

@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` Ahrens, Frank 6537 EPE-24

From: erskine, michael @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Ah, I see what you mean Earnie - yes I only have access to the bash
history for this particular instance of the bash shell - shoot! I'll
look out for the patches. Any ideas for making the regular arrow keys
work (rather than the numpad)?

Thanks,

Michael

http://www.bmeworld.com/unformat/ -- see my out of the office persona!

Michael, are you sure that Tim's answer works?  The reason the .bash-history
file isn't working is due to a bug in the readline library when dealing with
\r\n line endings.  Patches have been posted to the list.

Earnie.

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erskine, michael, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-07-22  8:26 erskine, michael

@ 1999-07-22  3:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-22  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erskine, michael, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-07-22  2:22 erskine, michael
From: erskine, michael @ 1999-07-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-07-22  1:47 ` Tim Davidson
From: Tim Davidson @ 1999-07-22  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

"erskine, michael" wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> (wow - quick reply!)
>
> Yes, I have HOME set from within AUTOEXEC.BAT and when I do 'cd'
> it goes there and I can see my .bash-history. The 'history' command
> works as expected.
>
> Hi,
>
> do you set HOME before starting the bash?
>
> Here is the way I use it:
> startbash.bat
>
> @ECHO OFF
> set HOME=/home/%USERNAME%
>
> c:\usr\local\bin\bash.exe -login
>
> Greetings
>    Frank

Tim Davidson
timd@werple.net.au

* AW: bash history not avail from arrow keys
@ 1999-07-22  0:43 erskine, michael

An: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-07-22  0:29 Ahrens, Frank 6537 EPE-24