* building bash-2.03?
@ 1999-07-12  9:43 David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 1999-07-12  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: bash-maintainers

Greetings,

This is cygwin B20.1 with 1999-01-15 snapshot of cygwin1.dll, on
NT4/SP5.  Trying to build bash-2.03 (release).

Background: Now that I am trying to get "real work done" in bash under
cygwin, I can no longer tolerate that bash cannot read its
.bash_history file.  (I have, and wish to keep, text != binary
mounts under cygwin.)

I thought I could apply Mark Levedahl's patch (Ref:
< http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-05/msg00638.html >) to
bash-2.03.  I thought I had read elsewhere that bash builds
out-of-the-box on cygwin, but I got almost nowhere:

> ./configure
> -----------
> creating cache ./config.cache
> configure: error: can not run ./support/config.sub

Has anyone else built bash-2.03 successfuly for cygwin?  Is there
something special I need to do, or should I start looking for problems
in my cygwin setup?  (I've built other gnu software in the past
without difficulty.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468

* Re: building bash-2.03?
@ 1999-07-12 14:32 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-07-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning; +Cc: cygwin, bash-maintainers

> Has anyone else built bash-2.03 successfuly for cygwin?  Is there
> something special I need to do, or should I start looking for problems
> in my cygwin setup?  (I've built other gnu software in the past
> without difficulty.)

As an FYI, I imported bash 2.03 into our development sources here at
Cygnus which was pretty painless.  This (or possibly a newer version)
will be in the next Cygwin release, whenever that happens.

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: building bash-2.03?
@ 1999-07-13  8:58   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-07-13  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 02:32:03PM -0700, Geoffrey Noer wrote:
>> Has anyone else built bash-2.03 successfuly for cygwin?  Is there
>> something special I need to do, or should I start looking for problems
>> in my cygwin setup?  (I've built other gnu software in the past
>> without difficulty.)
>
>As an FYI, I imported bash 2.03 into our development sources here at
>Cygnus which was pretty painless.  This (or possibly a newer version)
>will be in the next Cygwin release, whenever that happens.

Cool.  Does anyone know when the new release is going to come out?

(preemptively)
cgf

* Re: building bash-2.03?
@ 1999-07-31 18:34     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning; +Cc: cygwin, bash-maintainers

@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: bash-maintainers

@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin; +Cc: bash-maintainers

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is cygwin B20.1 with 1999-01-15 snapshot of cygwin1.dll, on
> NT4/SP5.  Trying to build bash-2.03 (release).
>
> Background: Now that I am trying to get "real work done" in bash under
> cygwin, I can no longer tolerate that bash cannot read its
> .bash_history file.  (I have, and wish to keep, text != binary
> mounts under cygwin.)
>
> I thought I could apply Mark Levedahl's patch (Ref:
> < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-05/msg00638.html >) to
> bash-2.03.  I thought I had read elsewhere that bash builds
> out-of-the-box on cygwin, but I got almost nowhere:
>
> > ./configure
> > -----------
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > configure: error: can not run ./support/config.sub
>
> Has anyone else built bash-2.03 successfuly for cygwin?  Is there
> something special I need to do, or should I start looking for problems
> in my cygwin setup?  (I've built other gnu software in the past
> without difficulty.)

I just last week successfully built bash-2.03 and had not one bit of problem.
However I did _not_ run the configure script in the source directory.  My
standard is to have this directory structure:

/prj/src/bash-2.03
/prj/obj/bash-2.03

Then I

cd /prj/obj/bash-2.03
/prj/src/bash-2.03/configure --prefix=/install/bash-2.03
--srcdir=/prj/src/bash-2.03
make

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome,
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: building bash-2.03?
@ 1999-07-12 10:23 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-07-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin; +Cc: bash-maintainers

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is cygwin B20.1 with 1999-01-15 snapshot of cygwin1.dll, on
> NT4/SP5.  Trying to build bash-2.03 (release).
>
> Background: Now that I am trying to get "real work done" in bash under
> cygwin, I can no longer tolerate that bash cannot read its
> .bash_history file.  (I have, and wish to keep, text != binary
> mounts under cygwin.)
>
> I thought I could apply Mark Levedahl's patch (Ref:
> < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-05/msg00638.html >) to
> bash-2.03.  I thought I had read elsewhere that bash builds
> out-of-the-box on cygwin, but I got almost nowhere:
>
> > ./configure
> > -----------
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > configure: error: can not run ./support/config.sub
>
> Has anyone else built bash-2.03 successfuly for cygwin?  Is there
> something special I need to do, or should I start looking for problems
> in my cygwin setup?  (I've built other gnu software in the past
> without difficulty.)

I just last week successfully built bash-2.03 and had not one bit of problem.
However I did _not_ run the configure script in the source directory.  My
standard is to have this directory structure:

/prj/src/bash-2.03
/prj/obj/bash-2.03

Then I

cd /prj/obj/bash-2.03
/prj/src/bash-2.03/configure --prefix=/install/bash-2.03
--srcdir=/prj/src/bash-2.03
make

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome,