* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-07 18:09 abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

                                            A. Lichowsky

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

                                            A. Lichowsky

* Re: perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` John Garrison
From: John Garrison @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

Am I the only one that has gotten this like ten times now in the past
five minutes?! It's REALLY beginning to piss me off!

abl893s@mail.smsu.edu wrote:

> With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
> name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.
>
>                                             A. Lichowsky
>
> --

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` Geoff Appleby
From: Geoff Appleby @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

abl893s@mail.smsu.edu wrote:

> With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
> name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

A #! line is a some sort of scipt isn't it?  A C++ program that has a
line starting with a # is a
preprocessor directive - and the preprocessor doesn't exaclt run shell
scripts for you.
Why have it in there? what's the line?

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

> With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error
> "Invalid name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

Good!  That means the compiler is working properly.  C++ files
shouldn't begin with #!, only scripts should.

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 abl893s@mail.smsu.edu wrote:

> With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
> name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

Because it's not valid C++. However, the error message you should get
is:

  $ gcc -c x.cc
  x.cc:1: invalid preprocessing directive name

not an "Invalid name".

Also, in case you didn't know, quite a few repeat posts are showing
up, so you may want to check your mail program or what not.

Regards,
Mumit

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` abl893s

From: abl893s @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:30 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-07-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:22 ` John Garrison
From: John Garrison @ 1999-07-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

abl893s@mail.smsu.edu wrote:

> With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
> name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.
>
>                                             A. Lichowsky
>
> --

* Re: perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-07 18:18 ` Geoff Appleby
From: Geoff Appleby @ 1999-07-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:10 abl893s

From: abl893s @ 1999-07-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:08 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-07-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abl893s; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:08 abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:07 abl893s

From: abl893s @ 1999-07-07 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-07 18:06 abl893s
From: abl893s @ 1999-07-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With release 20.1 "#!" on first line of C++ file I get error "Invalid
name" for line 1, upon trying to compile with g++.

                                            A. Lichowsky

* perplexing error with g++
@ 1999-07-07 18:05 abl893s
                   ` (2 more replies)