* Re: 1 install 2 operating systems
@ 1999-07-30  6:40 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-07-30  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schander, cygwin

In a message dated 99-07-30 08:47:10 EDT, c9502007@hud.ac.uk writes:

<< I could have one install of cygwin but have 2 oses use it.
 eg I have it installed on nt4 at the momment I also have windows 2K
 beta3 installed. I would like to use cygwin from w2k >>
There is no need to have cygwin installed in the registry of both OS's, nor
does it depend on any scheme for finding .dll's other than having a path
including the main /bin directory.  I simply set up a shortcut to cygnus.bat
in the second OS and modify PATH under Control Panel.  I would advise,
according to my experience, that you have at least the SP4 style NTFS drivers
installed in NT (I upgraded my NT from SP3 to SP5 for this purpose), and that
you install W2K on NTFS filesystem.

If one of the 2 OS's is installed on a FAT filesystem, I would suggest that
cygwin not be installed there except as a shortcut.  cygwin works extremely
well on W2K beta 3 on NTFS, but extremely poorly (e.g. when re-building
compilers) on FAT32.

* Re: 1 install 2 operating systems
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schander, cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` MR. S.CHANDER
From: MR. S.CHANDER @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
    I was wondering if it would be possible for me to find out
if I could have one install of cygwin but have 2 oses use it.
eg I have it installed on nt4 at the momment I also have windows 2K
beta3 installed. I would like to use cygwin from w2k without having to
install it all over again seperatly for w2k.
Therefore can anybody tell my the reg keys that are added for the
install,
along with any path I need to set up...

Cheers
Satpal Chander