* xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-15  6:38 Ryan L McFall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ryan L McFall @ 1999-07-15  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi:

I know this question has been discussed before, but I've tried the
solutions that I saw posted in the archives to no avail.

I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying to
run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
with the xterm.

I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in my
termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type of
terminal I've set TERM to be).

I've got Cygwin-B20 installed, and am using StarNet's X-Win32 as my
X-server.

Is there anything else that I've forgotten?

Thanks,
Ryan McFall
mcfallry@cse.msu.edu

* RE: xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-15  7:17 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-07-15  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan L McFall, cygwin

I tried to correct this problem in Xfree86 3.3.3.1 source code
I am porting to Cygwin.  Xterm started doing core dumps, with error
messages about vi and *C-string ' cannot be converted to "*

Hopefully I might fix the problem.

Suhaib

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-15 11:52 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-07-15 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan L McFall; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 09:38:03AM -0400, Ryan L McFall wrote:

>I know this question has been discussed before, but I've tried the
>solutions that I saw posted in the archives to no avail.
>
>I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying to
>run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
>don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
>with the xterm.
>
>I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in my
>termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type of
>terminal I've set TERM to be).
>
>I've got Cygwin-B20 installed, and am using StarNet's X-Win32 as my
>X-server.
>
>Is there anything else that I've forgotten?

It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
CYGWIN=tty scheme.

cgf

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-16  8:10   ` Ryan L McFall
From: Ryan L McFall @ 1999-07-16  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks!

This was it, I hadn't thought of that.  I downloaded the cygwin compiled
version of vim and it worked great.

Ryan

> It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
> unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
> CYGWIN=tty scheme.
>
> cgf

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan L McFall; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34     ` Ryan L McFall
From: Ryan L McFall @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks!

This was it, I hadn't thought of that.  I downloaded the cygwin compiled
version of vim and it worked great.

Ryan

> It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
> unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
> CYGWIN=tty scheme.
>
> cgf

* xterms and vi
@ 1999-07-31 18:34 ` Ryan L McFall
From: Ryan L McFall @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-07-31 18:34   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-07-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan L McFall, cygwin

I tried to correct this problem in Xfree86 3.3.3.1 source code
I am porting to Cygwin.  Xterm started doing core dumps, with error
messages about vi and *C-string ' cannot be converted to "*

Hopefully I might fix the problem.

Suhaib

* Re: xterms and vi
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hart, cygwin

--- Geoff Hart <ghart@siemens-psc.com> wrote:
> >>I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying
> >>run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
> >>don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
> >>with the xterm.
> >>
> >>I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in
> my
> >>termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type
> of
> >>terminal I've set TERM to be).
>
> >It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
> >unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
> >CYGWIN=tty scheme.
>
> Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as a
> tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS applications?

Windows doesn't understand the UNIX terminal structures.

Try a recent snapshot of the cygwin1.dll.  SET CYGWIN=notty and see what
happens.  I think you'll be surprised.  The terminal emulation has been
rewritten.

Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.  Strangeness has been
noted with interactive bash or sh starting another interactive bash or sh
process which Chris is pulling his hair out trying to fix.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10 Aug 1999 around 4:47PM (-0700) Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.  Strangeness
> has been noted with interactive bash or sh starting another
> interactive bash or sh process which Chris is pulling his hair out
> trying to fix.

It seems Chris performed some magic for the 990809 snapshot, although
"notty" may work better than "tty".

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Geoff Hart
From: Geoff Hart @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin

> > >It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.
It's
> > >unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with
the
> > >CYGWIN=tty scheme.
> >
> > Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as
> > tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS
applications?

> Windows doesn't understand the UNIX terminal structures.

Well, I can understand how some Windows Console applications might have
difficulty operating in a straight "UNIX" terminal, but in my case I'm
mainly interested in Activestate's Perl debugger.

And I have discovered a rather trivial solution: the EMACS environment
variable :-).

ghart:ghart$ export EMACS=1
ghart:ghart$ perl -d /usr/s/srcl/build/bld

Emacs support available.

Enter h or `h h' for help.

main::(e:\usr\s\srcl\build\bld:56):
56:     $IS_NT_PERL = defined (&Win32::IsWinNT); # If we're using NT Perl
  DB<1>

I believe the general problem is the "con" file.  Applications (DOS/Windows/
CYGWIN) can open that file to gain direct access to the spawning console.
That appears to completely avoid STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR: which is the real
problem.

If there was a way to configure "con" to use the file handles associated
with STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR, then we'd have a more universal solution (unless
the
application was trying to do something fancy with the console, of course).

> Try a recent snapshot of the cygwin1.dll.  SET CYGWIN=notty and see what
> happens.  I think you'll be surprised.  The terminal emulation has been
> rewritten.

Yes I tried it, and it made things slightly worse.  No longer could I
operate
the "Windows" application from the originating *Console* (DOS prompt)
window.
"output" from "perl -d" would still appeared there, but "input" ("n", "q",
...)
no longer seemed to get back to "perl".  It's like the input stream for
"con"
was somehow cut off.

But, "EMACS" makes all of this mute.  Long live Emacs!!! ;^)

Geoff

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:48:59PM -0400, Glenn Spell wrote:
>On 10 Aug 1999 around 4:47PM (-0700) Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.  Strangeness
>> has been noted with interactive bash or sh starting another
>> interactive bash or sh process which Chris is pulling his hair out
>> trying to fix.
>
>It seems Chris performed some magic for the 990809 snapshot, although
>"notty" may work better than "tty".

It's too late to save my hair, though, unfortunately.

cgf

* RE: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.
> Strangeness has been
> noted with interactive bash or sh starting another interactive bash or sh
> process which Chris is pulling his hair out trying to fix.

Hmmm... I have seen that with one of the recent snapshot.  I thought I was
doing something wrong.

Also setting CYGWIN=nontsec in the recent snapshot is not helping much.  If
I use
Crtl+C to kill a job, often bash will hang for a long time.

Suhaib

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Geoff Hart
From: Geoff Hart @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying
>>run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
>>don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
>>with the xterm.
>>
>>I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in
my
>>termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type
of
>>terminal I've set TERM to be).

>It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
>unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
>CYGWIN=tty scheme.

Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as a
tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS applications?

I am researching this because we use CYGWIN for our development environment
but we use pure Windows for the run-time environment, and we use
Activestate's
Perl.  But, running "perl -d ..." sends all the debugging output/control to
the originating DOS window, which doesn't work too well.

I've played with the code for rxvt (using the DOS xlib.c emulation for
Windows)
but I know very little about Window's Consoles.

Can you provide me with some information in this area?  I think an rxvt
which
could fully replace the "DOS command prompt" for both normal DOS and Cygwin
work would be a nice addition to your product - and I'd be glad to help
develop it :).

Geoff

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-31 23:49     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:52:09PM -0400, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.
>> Strangeness has been
>> noted with interactive bash or sh starting another interactive bash or sh
>> process which Chris is pulling his hair out trying to fix.
>
>Hmmm... I have seen that with one of the recent snapshot.  I thought I was
>doing something wrong.
>
>Also setting CYGWIN=nontsec in the recent snapshot is not helping much.  If
>I use
>Crtl+C to kill a job, often bash will hang for a long time.

Yup.  If you type CTRL-C and something hangs, it's undoubtely your
fault.  You've probably disattenuated the potential relegator on your
hard disk spin control by excessive use of the control key.  This can
cause bits to fly out of your hard disk and lodge in your CPU, causing
momentary stunning of your CPU.

Probably you'll have to reformat your hard drive and possibly even
repaint your computer room to fix this problem.  Also, remove all cats,
as static electricity can be a known cause of all sorts of computer
hangs.

-chris

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-11 10:48 ` Geoff Hart
From: Geoff Hart @ 1999-08-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin

@ 1999-08-10 21:44   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-10 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-08-10 21:36   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-10 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-08-10 17:52 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-08-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.
> Strangeness has been
> noted with interactive bash or sh starting another interactive bash or sh
> process which Chris is pulling his hair out trying to fix.

Hmmm... I have seen that with one of the recent snapshot.  I thought I was
doing something wrong.

Also setting CYGWIN=nontsec in the recent snapshot is not helping much.  If
I use
Crtl+C to kill a job, often bash will hang for a long time.

Suhaib

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-10 17:49 ` Glenn Spell
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-08-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10 Aug 1999 around 4:47PM (-0700) Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.  Strangeness
> has been noted with interactive bash or sh starting another
> interactive bash or sh process which Chris is pulling his hair out
> trying to fix.

It seems Chris performed some magic for the 990809 snapshot, although
"notty" may work better than "tty".

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

* Re: xterms and vi
@ 1999-08-10 16:47 Earnie Boyd
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-08-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)