* AW: Distributing cygwin1.dll
@ 1999-08-31  0:11 Rotter Klaus
From: Rotter Klaus @ 1999-08-31  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com', Simon Crase

Chris Faylor wrote:
>>Does the GPL really oblige me to make the source to the Cygnus tools
>>available on my site - which isn't even up yet :-( - in order for me to
>>distribute cygwin1.dll?
>
>Unfortunately, the licensing of the Cygwin DLL does require this.  If you

If I understand the GPL right, someone don't have to publish the source, instead
if anyone requests the source, he has to give it away. This may include
sending the sources on CD-ROM and getting a copy fee. So I think there is no
problem just releasing your program in binary and only providing the source
for the program, not for the library.

But this is only true if cygwin.dll is under GPL. Maybe cygnus used a modified one.

--
 Klaus Rotter, Siemens AG,  ATD TD 6 EPG, Postfach 3249, 91020 Erlangen
 Frauenauracherstraße 98, 91056 Erlangen

* Re: Distributing cygwin1.dll
@ 1999-08-31 15:14 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rotter Klaus; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com', Simon Crase

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 09:07:58AM +0200, Rotter Klaus wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>>>Does the GPL really oblige me to make the source to the Cygnus tools
>>>available on my site - which isn't even up yet :-( - in order for me to
>>>distribute cygwin1.dll?
>>
>>Unfortunately, the licensing of the Cygwin DLL does require this.  If you
>
>If I understand the GPL right, someone don't have to publish the source, instead
>if anyone requests the source, he has to give it away. This may include
>sending the sources on CD-ROM and getting a copy fee. So I think there is no
>problem just releasing your program in binary and only providing the source
>for the program, not for the library.
>
>But this is only true if cygwin.dll is under GPL. Maybe cygnus used a modified one.

You have to be able to make the exact sources available that you used in exactly
the same way as you distribute your program.

-Chris Faylor
-Win32 Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* Re: Distributing cygwin1.dll