* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-26 18:51 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Carlson, cygwin

--- Thomas Carlson <pusingpisan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to uninstall cygwin (under
> Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", but
> it is not listed there. Please feel free to email me
> directly for any info. Thanks a lot!!

This is simply a matter of deleteing the Cygnus folder and using RegEdit to
delete the keys under Software that contain the word Cygnus.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-14 16:54 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Newbies make mistakes.  Good newbies learn from them.  Bad newbies
don't
and may be accused of bad manners.  Spammers, on the other hand, are
just plain evil.

I think the same about email administrators and programers.

Our private email address must not be sent to the email list by the
server.

Regards.

Pedro.

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-13 16:25 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:45 AM::

Use a better email server and program.

Really, you think I am not going to forwarding the Cygwin wiki. You are
wrong  ;)

Regards.

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 15:40 Phil Betts
From: Phil Betts @ 2008-02-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE, cygwin

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:45 AM::

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> de Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> Enviado el: lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008 16:38
> Para: cygwin@xxxxxx.xxx
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many times do you have to be told?

DO NOT PUT EMAIL ADDRESSES IN YOUR REPLIES

I've told you on the X list, and I'm pretty sure CGF and Larry have
told you on this list, and maybe others too.  JUST STOP IT!

There has been quite a bit of spam getting through from these
lists recently and it's almost entirely because of people like you
who just can't be bothered to do the right thing.

Phil

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 12:50 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain RICHARD, cygwin

I have a lot of questions and I cannot see the right place with the answers.

So, how can I solve them easily, at a beginner level?. What about not wrong, but non-existing answers ?.

Regards.
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remko Arts, cygwin

Wonderful, merçi beaucoup, Sylvain, that worked. Didn't realise this could be so easy. Cygwin documentation / FAQ people, maybe this would be wise to incorporate somewhere in the uninstall documentation on your website, as I suspect all users running winXP and higher experience these problems when having chacged file ownership.
Thanks again.

Remko

For this , include the FAQ in a Wiki is a good option. One also can include user tips.

Regards.

* Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-08  9:59 Remko Arts
From: Remko Arts @ 2008-02-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've installed Cygwin with the ssh package. Now I want to uninstall
Cygwin, but get the message Windows is unable to delete .ssh. Seems some
exotic file protection is in place Windows can't handle. The only
removal instructions I can find for windows are "delete the complete
cygwin directory", which is, as mentioned impossible by normal means.
Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Remko

* Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2006-06-15  7:08 julien
From: julien @ 2006-06-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I got problems with cygwin under WinXP and I want to uninstall it
completely to re-install it correctly.
Cygwin is not in  the Windows Configuration panel/Uninstall

I first deleted the Cygwin root folder and all subfolders, then I
re-installed Gygwin, but now, when doing a make to install a program, I
fall into an endless loop.

The FAQ to uninstall tells: "you can list all services you have
installed with cygrunsrv -L" but when I type this command I get an
"Command not found" message.

How can I unstall Cygwin completely?

* Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2004-06-23  0:24 luke.kendall
From: luke.kendall @ 2004-06-23  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A colleague at work is having some problems that are starting to look
as though they're due to a permission problem.

I note that the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html says that Cygwin has
no automatic uninstall facility.  Since setup lets you choose to
uninstall, is that an error in the FAQ, or have I misunderstood setup's
uninstall option?

Incidentally, neither setup uninstall nor manual removal worked, since
the colleague (despite being local administrator for the machine), did
not have permission to remove various files.  The Cygwin install was
done by a system administrator here; the uninstall was attempted by the
privileged user (preparatory to a reinstall, BTW).

I just wanted to report the FAQ oddity; I'll continue looking through
the mailing list for info on the permission problem (his Cygwin version
could be anything up to 6 months old, so I can't give much useful info).

I've also been re-reading http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html,
and I notice that both the examples 2-1 and 2-2 for /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, and also the later section that describes the new scheme,
refer to groups (like 513 - none, and 547 - powerusers or pwrusers) that
don't seem to exist.

Regards,

luke

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 2000-05-29 18:34 B&T
From: B&T @ 2000-05-29 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:
> Are you referring to the FAQ which says "Only partially updated for
> the latest net release" at the top of the page?

I did notice the FAQ said it was out of date.  I mainly wanted to
convey that I read every available piece of documentation, and the
only available documentation is out of date.

The last time I didn't convey that I'd read everything available,
as I had, Earnie Boyd posted a sarcastic reply ...

(about bothering to read the setup documentation, as it were)

>>While running the uninst.bat script wiped out most of the files,
>>it did not wipe out the registry, and setup refused to install
>>anything, saying it was all up to date.
>
>As we have said many times, setup.exe is a work in progress.  The
>uninstall part of setup is very weak.
>
>Setup should install everything as long as you don't use the "-u"
>option.  If this is not the case, then you've uncovered a bug.

Setup did not install anything (version 1.45, latest as of my note).
I tried setup with and without -u, and most other letters of the alphabet
in hope I might get some different behavior or some documentation.
It reported that I had same or more recent versions of everything.
Note that I was installing from a directory of latest downloads.
However, when I deleted he cygwin registry keys, setup installed
everything correctly.

* uninstalling cygwin
@ 2000-05-25 20:36 B&T
From: B&T @ 2000-05-25 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On an NT system, after a recent successful setup (install), cygwin
did not show up under "add/remove" programs. The faq says:
     If you should ever want to uninstall the tools, you may do so
     via the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel.
It appears the FAQ is out of date (mentions a few B20-isms).

While running the uninst.bat script wiped out most of the files,
it did not wipe out the registry, and setup refused to install
anything, saying it was all up to date.

Had to blast the registry entries by hand...

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-25 15:14 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pusingpisan, cygwin

In a message dated 9/25/99 2:28:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pusingpisan@yahoo.com writes:

<< how to uninstall cygwin (under
 Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", >>
If it's fully installed, it should show up in add/remove; however, removing
it in the menu doesn't delete the installed directory structure.  That's easy
enough to do separately.  I don't imagine this has been a problem for anyone,
as I haven't seen it discussed.

Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org

* uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-25 14:27 Thomas Carlson
From: Thomas Carlson @ 1999-09-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,

Can anybody tell me how to uninstall cygwin (under
Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", but
it is not listed there. Please feel free to email me
directly for any info. Thanks a lot!!

Regards, Tom Carlson