* recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 10:22 Dan Richards
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Richards @ 1999-09-14 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy, but...

Is there something I'm missing, or does this version of grep not support
a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that couldn't do this....

--
------------
Dan Richards

Principal Software Engineer
Roving Software
21 Highland Circle
Needham, MA 02494-3032

Email: rodan@roving.com
Phone: (617) 850 - 0494
FAX:   (781) 444 - 6155
http://www.roving.com

"Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or nation"

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 10:51 ` Oliver Brandt
From: Oliver Brandt @ 1999-09-14 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rodan; +Cc: cygwin

Dan Richards schrieb:

> I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy, but...
>
> Is there something I'm missing, or does this version of grep not support
> a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that couldn't do this....

That's UNIX: If you want to do something recursive, take a shell-script
or perhaps "find"....
If you're looking for a GNU-grep for WIN32 with a "recursive"-option:
Search for "grep20b_win.zip" (sorry, have no URL :-(. But if you're
interested, i can send it to you).

Hope this helps

Oliver

> --
> ------------
> Dan Richards
>
> Principal Software Engineer
> Roving Software
> 21 Highland Circle
> Needham, MA 02494-3032
>
> Email: rodan@roving.com
> Phone: (617) 850 - 0494
> FAX:   (781) 444 - 6155
> http://www.roving.com
>
> "Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or nation"
>
> --

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 12:32 ` Michael K. Elwood
From: Michael K. Elwood @ 1999-09-14 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

> Is there something I'm missing, or does this version of grep not support
> a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that couldn't do this....

The UNIXy way to do this is

find | xargs grep <pattern>

xargs is the totally cool glue that makes this construct work. Check the man
page for xargs. You can also constrain the files fed to grep using standard
'find' syntax.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

MKE

* RE: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 12:40   ` Christopher_Jones
From: Christopher_Jones @ 1999-09-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin cygwin'

> The UNIXy way to do this is
>
> find | xargs grep <pattern>

or find -exec grep <pattern> \{\} \; -print

proving once again there is more than one way to do just about anything.

Brian

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 17:50     ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-09-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin32

Christopher Jones wrote:

> > The UNIXy way to do this is
> >
> > find | xargs grep <pattern>
> >

> or find -exec grep <pattern> \{\} \; -print
>
> proving once again there is more than one way to do just about anything.

I use
grep pattern `find`
or
grep pattern `find . -name "*.c"`

This sometimes can fill the command line up though for large file matches.

Brendan Simon.

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-15  9:15       ` Tadeusz Liszka
From: Tadeusz Liszka @ 1999-09-15  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bsimon; +Cc: CygWin32

Brendan Simon wrote:

> Christopher Jones wrote:
>
> > > The UNIXy way to do this is
> > >
> > > find | xargs grep <pattern>

This is the proper way

> > or find -exec grep <pattern> \{\} \; -print
> >
> > proving once again there is more than one way to do just about anything.

This one will not list file names when match is found

> I use
> grep pattern `find`
> or
> grep pattern `find . -name "*.c"`
>
> This sometimes can fill the command line up though for large file matches.

The xargs above is exactly to avoid line overflow

================

I have following aliases in my .tcshrc. Make your own to taste:

alias findc 'find . -type f -name \*.\[cC\]\* -print | xargs grep'
alias findf .....

"findc <pattern>" searches for pattern in all source files in the subtree, skipping
softlinks.

> Brendan Simon.
>
> --

Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-30 23:42       ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin32

@ 1999-09-30 23:42         ` Tadeusz Liszka
From: Tadeusz Liszka @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bsimon; +Cc: CygWin32

Brendan Simon wrote:

> Christopher Jones wrote:
>
> > > The UNIXy way to do this is
> > >
> > > find | xargs grep <pattern>

This is the proper way

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Oliver Brandt
From: Oliver Brandt @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rodan; +Cc: cygwin

Dan Richards schrieb:

> I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy, but...
>
> Is there something I'm missing, or does this version of grep not support
> a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that couldn't do this....

That's UNIX: If you want to do something recursive, take a shell-script
or perhaps "find"....
If you're looking for a GNU-grep for WIN32 with a "recursive"-option:
Search for "grep20b_win.zip" (sorry, have no URL :-(. But if you're
interested, i can send it to you).

Hope this helps

Oliver

> --
> ------------
> Dan Richards
>
> Principal Software Engineer
> Roving Software
> 21 Highland Circle
> Needham, MA 02494-3032
>
> Email: rodan@roving.com
> Phone: (617) 850 - 0494
> FAX:   (781) 444 - 6155
> http://www.roving.com
>
> "Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or nation"
>
> --

* recursive grep
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Dan Richards
From: Dan Richards @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Christopher Jones
From: Christopher Jones @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin cygwin'

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Michael K. Elwood
From: Michael K. Elwood @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Richards, cygwin cygwin

--- Dan Richards <rodan@roving.com> wrote:

> I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy, but...
>
> Is there something I'm missing, or does this version of grep not support
> a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that couldn't do this....

And I've never seen one that does.  I know there exists a package called rgrep
that will do what you want but you'll have to find the source and build it.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` The Tolands
From: The Tolands @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Richards, cygwin cygwin

Actually, GNU grep 2.3 supports recursion, don't know about earlier
versions.   From the GNU grep 2.3 man page:

       -d ACTION, --directories=ACTION
              If an input file is a directory, use ACTION to pro<AD>
              cess it.  By default, ACTION is read,  which  means
              that  directories  are  read  just  as if they were
              ordinary files.  If ACTION is skip, directories are
              silently skipped.  If ACTION is recurse, grep reads
              all files under each directory,  recursively;  this
              is equivalent to the -r option.
       -r, --recursive
              Read  all  files under each directory, recursively;
              this is equivalent to the -d recurse option.

This version builds fine on cygwin right out of the tarball.  With a few
slight tweaks it will also compile with VC 6.  Email me if you want patches
for VC 6.

phil
p.toland@computer.org

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` CW
From: CW @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Dan Richards, cygwin cygwin

Here is a simple rgrep I use, never tried it with bash
however.

#!/bin/ksh
for FILE in `find . -name $2 -print`
do
	if [ `grep -c $1 $FILE` -ne 0 ]
	then
		echo $FILE
		grep -i -n $1 $FILE
	fi
done

Carson

--- Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Dan Richards <rodan@roving.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy,
> but...
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing, or does this
> version of grep not support
> > a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that
> couldn't do this....
>
> And I've never seen one that does.  I know there
> exists a package called rgrep
> that will do what you want but you'll have to find
> the source and build it.
> ===
> Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
>
> Newbies, please visit
> < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
>
> (If you respond to the list, then please don't cc
> me)

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` 13mb80000-HallM(10053584)37x10
From: 13mb80000-HallM(10053584)37x10 @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Here is a simple rgrep I use, never tried it with bash
> however.
>
> #!/bin/ksh
> for FILE in `find . -name $2 -print`
> do
> 	if [ `grep -c $1 $FILE` -ne 0 ]
> 	then
> 		echo $FILE
> 		grep -i -n $1 $FILE
> 	fi
> done
>
> Carson

A much more efficient script here would be:

#!/bin/ksh
pat=$1
shift
find "$@" ! -type d | xargs grep -n -i $pat /dev/null

(Of course, the -n and -i could be left out if that is your preference,
and there could be some attempt to parse them from the script's arguments
instead of building them into the script).

Problems with the original script (for illustration purposes, not meant to
criticise):

	1: The setup for the for loop builds the entire iteration list
	from the output of the find.  If this is really big, some systems
	start to have a problem (because it all has to be in an argument
	vector)

	2: The first grep doesn't have the -i, so it requires explicit
	case matching, unlike the 2nd grep (likely a minor oversight).

	3: The script starts up one (or two!) grep processes for each and
	every file searched.  This can be costly if there are many files.

One subtle thing about my solution is that the /dev/null argument is passed
to grep.  This is because if grep has only one file argument, it will not
prefix the matched line with the file name.  Giving grep the /dev/null before
whatever arguments xargs tacks on ensures that grep will always have two
file arguments and therefore will always print the file name.

marcus hall

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 17:41 ` The Tolands
From: The Tolands @ 1999-09-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Richards

@ 1999-09-14 12:41 13mb80000-HallM(10053584)37x10
From: 13mb80000-HallM(10053584)37x10 @ 1999-09-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14 11:07 CW
From: CW @ 1999-09-14 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd

Here is a simple rgrep I use, never tried it with bash
however.

#!/bin/ksh
for FILE in `find . -name $2 -print`
do
	if [ `grep -c $1 $FILE` -ne 0 ]
	then
		echo $FILE
		grep -i -n $1 $FILE
	fi
done

Carson

--- Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Dan Richards <rodan@roving.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a new cygwin user, so far I'm pretty happy,
> but...
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing, or does this
> version of grep not support
> > a recursive option?  I've never used a grep that
> couldn't do this....
>
> And I've never seen one that does.  I know there
> exists a package called rgrep
> that will do what you want but you'll have to find
> the source and build it.
> ===
> Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
>
> Newbies, please visit
> < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
>
> (If you respond to the list, then please don't cc
> me)

* Re: recursive grep
@ 1999-09-14 10:56 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)